Efficient Playthrough Log

Yes, another one of these. I am not playing anything better at the moment, and I think that the efficient tier list needs someone to actually do an efficient run, as a baseline for various factors. Credit to Colonel Tyranel M, and to Grandjackal, for both popularizing the idea of a playlog for FE10, as well as for pissing me off by ragequitting their runthroughs midway, and therefore inspiring me to do one of my own.

Overview:

• Hard Mode.
  • Efficient play. I will not be speedrunning, but I also will not waste time needlessly.
  • I am not giving turn by turn strats unless I think it's important or if it's requested.
  • Tracking of BEXP, liquid assets, turns taken.
  • Listing the levels/stats of all major players.
  • I like bulleted lists.

I am not setting a team in stone ahead of time, nor am I doing much planning. Partly this is because I want to remain flexible, and partly it's because I don't want to do too much research because I am lazy. However, I am not out to prove anything in terms of specific units, I am just going to go balls-out and beat the game with a good team, as close to the best as I can think of without too much effort.

Please feel free to make whatever comments you like in this thread -- insipid, useful, critical, cheerleading, %chance that I will actually finish this, etc -- since I will link individual chapters from this OP to keep it clean, adding new ones as I complete them. If there is anything that someone needs done in terms of testing or verification as I plug along through specific chapters, please let me know: I will abide if it's not too much work. This also goes for other kinds of data collection, if anyone wants to see anything.

Total turn count: 276

Chapter by chapter turns counts (current/total):

1-P: 7/7

1-1: 7/14

1-2: 7/21

1-3: 7/28

1-4: 8/36

1-5: 6/42

1-6-1: 6/48

1-6-2: 6/54

1-7: 6/60

1-8: 5/65

1-9: 12/77

1-E: 10/87

2-P: 9/96

2-1: 11/107

2-2: 6/113

2-3: 7/120

2-E: 5/125

3-P: 8/133

3-1: 8/141

3-2: 4/145

3-3: 8/153

3-4: 7/160

3-5: 3/163

3-6: 11/174

3-7: 13/187

3-8: 7/194

3-9: 6/200

3-10: 5/205

3-11: 8/213

3-12: 7/220

3-13: 6/226

3-E: 5/231

4-P: 5/236

4-1: 6/242

4-2: 7/249

4-3: 6/255

4-4: 8/263

4-5: 3/266

4-E-1: 4/270

4-E-2: 1/271

4-E-3: 1/272

4-E-4: 1/273

4-E-5: 2/275

Yes, I know it's off by one. I don't know why, I may have made a mistake recording the current turn for one chapter. The game's record on the Extras menu says 276, so we're going with that as the canon figure.

-Quick links-

1-P/1-1

1-2/1-3

1-4

1-5/1-6-1/1-6-2/1-7

1-8/1-9

1-Endgame

2-P/2-1/2-2/2-3

2-Endgame

3-P/3-1

3-2

3-3

3-4/3-5

3-6

3-7/3-8

3-9/3-10

3-11

3-12/3-13

3-Endgame

4-P/4-1

4-2/4-3

4-4/4-5

4-Endgame

Edited by Interceptor

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 1-P:

Everyone already knows how this level goes. Eddie + Micaiah rock the house, duo-style. Leonardo shows up wtflate and hardly does anything except take a bullet for Micaiah and peel off one shot. Favoring Eddie here to make him more useful earlygame. Wrath is awesome.

Turns (chapter/total): 7/7

BEXP (chapter/current): 30/30

Funds: 5000

Unit    Lvl   HP ST MG SK SP LK DF RS  Support

Micaiah  1.69 15 2  7  8  7  10 2  4   
Eddie    5.71 20 7  0  12 13 8  6  0   
Leo      4.29 17 8  0  12 10 6  5  4  

Chapter 1-1:

Another straightforward level. I gave Nolan and Eddie as many facings as they can reasonably survive, while doing some trading/nuking shenanigans with my back line to keep things going smoothly. I could have ended this chapter on Turn 6, but I decided to tarry one extra Turn to give a kill to Nolan before scooting, I've shifted to favoring him for kills now. Once again, Wrath delivers. Skipped the free vulnerary, no time for it. Traded around heals/swords/axes/boosters in prep for 1-2.

Turns (chapter/total): 7/14

BEXP (chapter/current): 60/90

Nolan   10.22 29 13 1  12 11 7  10 3
Micaiah  2.40 15 2  8  8  7  11 2  5   
Eddie    6.63 21 7  0  13 14 8  6  0   
Leo      4.48 17 8  0  12 10 6  5  4  

Chapter 1-2:

Laura shoves Micaiah, Micaiah and Nolan combo attack to kill off the guy on the top ledge. Leo cries in a corner (after shoving Laura), and Eddie prepares to block lances with his face on Enemy Phase. And so on. I gave Sothe more kills in this chapter than I wanted to, and perhaps using both chest keys on this map will hurt me later, but Eddie/Micaiah took care of the southwest while everyone else rushed the boss. Nolan took the boss kill, Laura Arrives, fin.

Turns (chapter/total): 9/23

BEXP (chapter/current): 90/180

Nolan   11.52 30 13 1  13 12 8  10 3
Micaiah  3.10 15 2  9  9  7  11 2  6   A Sothe   
Eddie    7.64 22 8  0  13 15 9  6  0   
Leo      5.17 18 9  0  13 10 6  5  5 
Sothe    1.17 35 18 4  20 20 15 14 9   A Micaiah
Laura    1.66 16 3  8  3  5  8  2  10
Edited by Interceptor

Sorry about it Interceptor, there was just no input into it. I'd continue mine, if I had any response to validate how I was managing.

So far though, it would seems those turn counts could have been better (1-1 can be done in 6, 1-2 in 7 though I forget how the fuck I pulled that off, in the least I had it at 8. Could have done 1-P in 7 turns while giving Eddie every kill. Maybe that's what helped... waxing my own ego.

By the way, funny thing I noticed about BEXP, as the calculation on the sight is wrong. it states that ((50xunit level)+5)x2, when that's not true. Looking at it right now, 400 BEXP in bank at 1-4. Meg from 3 to 4, it says I would have 100 left over, meaning that's 300 BEXP to get 1 level. What's wrong with this?

50x3=150. 150+50=200. 200x2=400. I should have 0, yet I have 100. So if you're ever wanting to calculate how much BEXP you'll need for a level, the formula is far simpler.

1 EXP=Unit Level in BEXP (so Meg's level 3, 3BEXP=1EXP).

I'll continue, though perhaps I should condense it instead of going turn by turn. Need to put up my 1-3 run anyways.

Sorry about it Interceptor, there was just no input into it. I'd continue mine, if I had any response to validate how I was managing.

I'm just ribbing you, your ragequit had nothing to do with it. Would have started this regardless.

So far though, it would seems those turn counts could have been better (1-1 can be done in 6, 1-2 in 7 though I forget how the fuck I pulled that off, in the least I had it at 8. Could have done 1-P in 7 turns while giving Eddie every kill. Maybe that's what helped... waxing my own ego.

Indeed. I had a 6-turn on 1-1 but gave it up for kills, had a 6 or 7 in 1-2 but gave it up to secure more items and CEXP. I'm going to err on the side of not shooting myself in the foot, level-wise, where it's possible.

By the way, funny thing I noticed about BEXP, as the calculation on the sight is wrong. it states that ((50xunit level)+5)x2, when that's not true. Looking at it right now, 400 BEXP in bank at 1-4. Meg from 3 to 4, it says I would have 100 left over, meaning that's 300 BEXP to get 1 level. What's wrong with this?

50x3=150. 150+50=200. 200x2=400. I should have 0, yet I have 100. So if you're ever wanting to calculate how much BEXP you'll need for a level, the formula is far simpler.

1 EXP=Unit Level in BEXP (so Meg's level 3, 3BEXP=1EXP).

I think Narga noticed this too. You should point it out to Vincent.

Er, I've been busy man. I still have a computer that isn't 100% functional (now I'm a little worried if my FEDS / SFII playthrough logs will upload right on this thing) and I have had work late at night. I assure you Mr. Interceptor that I am going to continue my playthrough.

I'm just ribbing you, your ragequit had nothing to do with it. Would have started this regardless.

No mistake though, I'm back in it. But hey, I'm used to ribbing, so it's all cool.

Indeed. I had a 6-turn on 1-1 but gave it up for kills, had a 6 or 7 in 1-2 but gave it up to secure more items and CEXP. I'm going to err on the side of not shooting myself in the foot, level-wise, where it's possible.

6 turning 1-1 is tons of fun.

But even considering I was going faster than you, my levels weren't that different (OK, Eddie getting that ubertism in 1-P for me scored him extra EXP in 1-1, which got me a higher level Eddie than yours, but that sounds natural in consideration).

I think Narga noticed this too. You should point it out to Vincent.

That's because I was the one who pointed it out to him through PM. Hey Narga, no credit? For shame.

That's because I was the one who pointed it out to him through PM. Hey Narga, no credit? For shame.

Um, sorry to burst your bubble but I noticed months ago.

The bonus exp section in Radiant Dawn is missing the difference in cost for a level between Normal Mode and Hard Mode.

In addition to what is already shown (getting half as much experience), it also costs twice as much to get a level as it does on Normal Mode. I'm not sure if it is character level x 100 or (character level x 100) + 100, though, for HM.

I wasn't certain then, but let's just say that there is a lot you can do in 6 months to get certain. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in the tier list topic when I was sure, but it's a lot harder to find something like that in 200 pages than it is in 15.

Chapter 1-3:

Make the mistake of going left side on this one, had to reset a couple of times due to inopportune misses. Recruited Aran for no particular reason. Didn't get Discipline, had to use Sothe to kill an Archer before it blicked Micaiah. Missed max BEXP on this level, due to a miscalculation: I forgot that yellow units act after Micaiah on the last turn, and her Escape ends the map. C'est la vie.

Turns (chapter/total): 9/32

BEXP (chapter/current): 220/400

Micaiah  4.92 15 3  10 9  7  12 2  7   A Sothe   
Sothe    1.42 35 18 4  20 20 15 14 9   A Micaiah
Laura    2.32 16 3  9  4  5  8  2  10
Eddie    8.16 23 9  0  14 16 10 6  1   
Ilyana  12.47 22 6  12 12 13 6  3  9
Leo      5.72 18 9  0  13 10 6  5  5 
Nolan   12.65 31 14 1  13 12 9  10 3
Aran     7.19 24 10 0  12 10 6  11 2

I may re-do this chapter.

Edited by Interceptor

The RNG gods seem to absolutely hate 1-3. I have to ask though, did you have Eddie semi-solo the right side? I'm noticing if considering, his exp after the fact looks a little flaccid.

Also, damn you Narga, let me win one.

I see the title "efficient playthrough log", and then I see his Edward has gained 4 levels in 4 chapters, 3 of which he's the worst unit in.

Something's not right here...

Like the delusion of Eddie being the worst for 3 chapters?

:facepalm:

I see the title "efficient playthrough log", and then I see his Edward has gained 4 levels in 4 chapters, 3 of which he's the worst unit in.

The implication you are making here, is that the worst unit shouldn't be getting a lot of CEXP. This is wrong, at least for these particular chapters. Allow me to explain.

Eddie is a bad unit, but it's important to note why: he gets 2-3HKO'ed, and is forced to take counters since he attacks at 1-range. He also randomly crit-blicks things because of Wrath, or because of being a Myrmidon. This makes him mostly useless as a weakener (Leo and Micaiah are better because of 2-range, Nolan is better because of his manly chest). So what do I do with him? Right: I use him to finish things off, because he takes counters less often and it saves me healing.

Also, in addition to that, Wrath used properly DOES make him a good enemy-attractor. For example, in 1-2, while Nolan and Micaiah tag-teamed the guy on the ledge, Eddie took two guys on the right. This is Hard Mode, so there's no WTD for him vs. lances, and he had enough durability to survive two shots. I just so happened that Wrath activated on he second guy, and Eddie critted him but good. Vulnerary self-healing allows for a repeat performance.

Kills are worth more than injuries, in terms of CEXP. So do I need to connect all of those dots for you to explain why he's high-level in earlygame efficient play, or do you think that you can handle it?

PS: decided not to re-do 1-3, I don't care enough about Discipline and 25 BEXP.

EDIT: I will undoubtedly drop Eddie after 1-5 or so, by the way. No crap tiers in this man's army.

Edited by Interceptor

This is the two partner units, right? 100 BEXP. They get 50 each on HM, unlike the player units that only get 12.5.

To translate, that's a whole 10 experience points on a level 10 tier 1 unit. Whatever are you going to do without it? :lol:

edit:

And I do believe your Edward is spd blessed. He'd be pretty funny with a C Nolan and the drop on the ledge in 1-5 with a wind edge. You don't even need any more exp on him and he'd be okay. I think he mostly 3HKOs that way.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

:facepalm:

The implication you are making here, is that the worst unit shouldn't be getting a lot of CEXP. This is wrong, at least for these particular chapters. Allow me to explain.

Eddie is a bad unit, but it's important to note why: he gets 2-3HKO'ed, and is forced to take counters since he attacks at 1-range. He also randomly crit-blicks things because of Wrath, or because of being a Myrmidon. This makes him mostly useless as a weakener (Leo and Micaiah are better because of 2-range, Nolan is better because of his manly chest). So what do I do with him? Right: I use him to finish things off, because he takes counters less often and it saves me healing.

Also, in addition to that, Wrath used properly DOES make him a good enemy-attractor. For example, in 1-2, while Nolan and Micaiah tag-teamed the guy on the ledge, Eddie took two guys on the right. This is Hard Mode, so there's no WTD for him vs. lances, and he had enough durability to survive two shots. I just so happened that Wrath activated on he second guy, and Eddie critted him but good. Vulnerary self-healing allows for a repeat performance.

Kills are worth more than injuries, in terms of CEXP. So do I need to connect all of those dots for you to explain why he's high-level in earlygame efficient play, or do you think that you can handle it?

EDIT: I will undoubtedly drop Eddie after 1-5 or so, by the way. No crap tiers in this man's army.

To be honest, I can beat 1-1 to 1-3 as fast, or faster, than you did (like 7-8 turns in 1-3, though I usually dick around for 1-2 turns so I can get more units to escape. Note that I do this by going down the left side) and not even feed half as many kills as you did to Edward.

but hey, this is your playthrough, and I know we have different definitions of "efficiency".

Edited by Andrew W.K.

9 Turns in 1-2

Efficiency run.

:awesome:

Honestly, do you not understand what this line -- "Efficient play. I will not be speedrunning, but I also will not waste time needlessly" -- from the OP means? I purposely burned time to squeeze out more kills/items, and 1-2 is no exception. Laura was using her full MV nearly every turn, I had her twiddling her thumbs next to the Arrive square for the last few.

Good lord, this is my own fault, of course. I said that people could feel free to make insipid comments, so it should come as no surprise that you chose to do exactly that.

To be honest, I can beat 1-1 to 1-3 as fast, or faster, than you did (like 7-8 turns in 1-3, though I usually dick around for 1-2 turns so I can get more units to escape. Note that I do this by going down the left side) and not even feed half as many kills as you did to Edward.

So, am I supposed to take this non-answer as you conceding the point about Eddie's level? I could not have gone any faster by giving Eddie fewer kills, any time that I spent extra was for the benefit of other people. 1-1's 6-turn went poof so I could give Nolan a kill and still get max BEXP for Excaping him, 1-2's Laura Marathon went away so that Nolan could get a boss kill and I could get all of the items, 1-3 I stuck around purposely to clear more guys (would have gotten max BEXP if I didn't goof on phase order), etc.

but hey, this is your playthrough, and I know we have different definitions of "efficiency".

I don't think that we do have different definitions. What's not efficient? I'm early enough that I don't mind re-doing chapters if you have some point that you think justifies it.

1-1's 6-turn went poof so I could give Nolan a kill and still get max BEXP for Excaping him

Uhhh, for 1-1, you don't get extra BEXP for fleeing your other guys, only Miccy needs to flee. For 1-4, I have the exact amount of BEXP you do, and I didn't escape anyone other than Miccy in 1-1.

Not that I'm arguing for Smash, since I don't think I could have gone that fast without a favored Eddie. Just saying you didn't have to, though I suppose that kill would count for something.