FE: Dawn of Darkness Feedback Thread

Anacybele

Okay, but I do have something to offer you. Although, these don't really fit your criteria...

Fic recs!

These are taken from my own personal favourites, so they aren't really based of your preferences. Future recs will probably pander more to what you usually go for. However, I maintain these fics are good if you put that aside.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11888295/1/Allies

Allies by Aurumite. It's a story about the Nohrian siblings (namely, Camilla and Xander). Sibling bonding really, but it is very well written. This story also really helped to improve my impressions of Camilla. Warning for this one for its referenced/implied child abuse. However, the act itself is never seen on screen.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4733184/1/le-roi-est-mort-vive-le-roi

le roi est mort, vive le roi by Measured. I originally was going to skip over this but it is pretty darn good at setting up an oppressive air. Basically, it revolves around Soren becoming what his father was; a tyrannical king. It is Soren centric but Elincia is also pretty important in this one which was largely why I eventually opted to include it.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8819492/1/Stigma-of-Chaos

Stigma of Chaos by TheShadowEclipse. One of my favourite multi-chaptered fics ever and was a large inspiration for a time-travel AU I am currently writing. The plot is that Ike and the Greils were killed in the Tower of Guidance; now the Branded trio (Soren, Stefan and Micaiah) have to attempt to defeat Ashera without them. BEFORE you dismiss it because of the core cast (I remember you saying once that you don't like Micaiah much, as well as Soren) I would read until the end of Chapter one (not the prologue). It is a truly amazing, in my opinion.

My only complaint is that it has been on hiatus for a good while, although the writer insists they haven't given up on it :P

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7355768/1/Tactics

Tactics by Rosage. This is a fun one, revolving around the Greil Mercenaries. It is rather meta; referring to actual ingame mechanics. This is also dialogue based (similar to your own style) but it does it very well. A short, fun fic.

These are taken from my own personal favourites, so they aren't really based of your preferences. Future recs will probably pander more to what you usually go for. However, I maintain these fics are good if you put that aside.

Edited by NJ7009

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I should've mentioned that I hate Xander and Camilla, and that none of the Nohr cast appeals to me save for Elise. I like more of the Hoshido characters, but not many, and not enough to read about them, honestly. Unless maybe it's Ryoma or Silas centric. Particularly if it's Silas x female Corrin.

Also, I just said I don't like Soren...

It doesn't matter how well-written the stories are to me, I just don't want to read about characters I don't like. Sorry...

And I figured you might want to see how my style alone is compared to this co-written fic, so that's why I recommended the Sain x Fiora one, but if you want to wait, I can't stop you. :P

How do you know the errors will continue in DoD when you haven't read more than three chapters? Just saying. I definitely improved a lot since those early ones were written. This fic was started in 09 and still continues. It won't finish at 35 chapters, it'll finish at around 50. xP

I guess I should've mentioned that I hate Xander and Camilla, and that none of the Nohr cast appeals to me save for Elise. I like more of the Hoshido characters, but not many, and not enough to read about them, honestly. Unless maybe it's Ryoma or Silas centric. Particularly if it's Silas x female Corrin.

Also, I just said I don't like Soren...

It doesn't matter how well-written the stories are to me, I just don't want to read about characters I don't like. Sorry...

And I figured you might want to see how my style alone is compared to this co-written fic, so that's why I recommended the Sain x Fiora one, but if you want to wait, I can't stop you. :P

How do you know the errors will continue in DoD when you haven't read more than three chapters? Just saying. I definitely improved a lot since those early ones were written. This fic was started in 09 and still continues. It won't finish at 35 chapters, it'll finish at around 50. xP

To be honest, I didn't think you would go for these :P However, it would have bothered me if I didn't at least try to put them forward. I guess I just need to learn that most people aren't like me and most don't go around reading whatever is good with minimal preferences XD

However, I have one final recommendation out of my own favourites...

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11626732/1/Last-Hope

Last Hope by Aurumite (again). This is an Ephraim fic (but Eirika is also a felt presence). No romance in this one (well... Eirika marries Saleh but it it a background deal). This work is pretty good - focussing on the aftermath of Sacred Stones and the effect it had on Ephraim. To say more would be a spoiler :P

I will probably go over and read your Sain and Fiora fic and just give general chapter impressions for this until something noteworthy to critique or praise comes up.

Oh, I am not saying you won't improve. However, I am saying that it may be a while for improvement to become evident and until that happens, I will probably be criticising your chapters for the same issues over and over again. Not fun for either of us, that.

Ah, I understand. That's fine. :P

Eirika gets with Saleh instead of Seth? Bummer. :( But I guess since it's just a BG detail, so it's not a big deal. I'll consider that one.

Alrighty, sounds good to me. And if you feel like you'll just have the same issues with some more of the earlier chapters, no need to repeat your other posts, just say "I see the same issues as before." :P

Edited by Anacybele