Round 54 SF Splicing Competition.

Amelia

@Nickt - I'm not about to hold his hand through the whole process like he's my kid or something. Everything he's done for the good part of the past year was all his own work; I haven't touched anything he's done since then. This is a bit of a low blow, but he's improved radically more than you have in however many years you've been in the spriting scene. The most I do is offer a bit of one-on-one feedback for his stuff now and then. Compared to the attention you get publicly versus what he gets privately, I'd think he's entitled to his share of compliments. His progress is actually quite remarkable, especially because of how vague my critique usually is. If I were to honestly "tutor" him in my own method of spriting, all you'd have is another unoriginal spriting style clone. Considering how everyone seems to dote and fawn over Pi's stuff (not to say that it isn't good), as well as copy his shading methods, I'd think Yoshi's development of his own style is infinitely preferable. I don't like enforcing unnecessary limitations on people who're willing to learn and develop at their own rate. That being said, I'd appreciate it if you retracted your previous insult and maybe took a step back to look at yourself, first. I admit that I'm a terrible "tutor" and critic, but that's none of his fault.

I don't keep tabs on peoples ability to sprite, if he's improved incredibly than I mustn't have noticed, it's not in my way to spend my time studying the standards of every spriter upon the board, you are where you are, in the end improvement doesn't count to much.

Also, the idea of a tutor in my personal opinion is a bit more than a few comments, so forgive me if I was under the impression that you did little more than be a babysitter.

Also, I do believe that in my first comment, straight after he posted his sprite, you can see that I was impressed by his skill, if you read Klok's comment, it gives off the impression that Yoshi is really good because you taught him, which brought about my comment. *shrugs*

Not denoting him of anything, just pointing out that if you're going to have people going around behind you boasting that you've been personally tutored by in my opinion one of the best spriters in Fire Emblem, then you'd better have done some pretty jaw dropping stuff. It's like saying you've been tutored by Da Vinci but then you look at your work and it's horrid, it just sets up a ridiculous standard and gives deluded expectations.

Also, I never stated anything about you being a bad tutor, I can see where you're coming from, having seen a few tidbits of your "critique" over the years, but in the end, I've got no qualms or issues about your abilities. I've nothing against Yoshi's ability either, you guys really jumped the gun if that's what you interpreted out of my comment.

1) you don't have to be so insulting about it. I could say something else right now, but I'll not.

If you're going to be smart, going by that little comment on the end, make sure to remember that adding a number doesn't mean you can ignore putting a capital letter at the start of your sentence. On the other hand, "but I'll not" just sounds stupid.

Yoshi's improvements in his spriting are pretty damn noticeable what he put out from, say, a few months ago. Everyone improves at their own pace and I can definitely see his improvements in his spritework. You don't get tutored by somebody and then suddenly become as good as them in a matter of months. That's not how shit works.

Like I said above, when you have people boasting about how you've been taught by a brilliant spriter, then you're obviously going to be compared, it's a natural progression of thought. Improvement doesn't really play much of a part of it, unless he was saying "Oh hey, I was this bad, then I got taught by Aeo and I'm better now:", that wasn't the case.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said above, when you have people boasting about how you've been taught by a brilliant spriter, then you're obviously going to be compared, it's a natural progression of thought. Improvement doesn't really play much of a part of it, unless he was saying "Oh hey, I was this bad, then I got taught by Aeo and I'm better now:", that wasn't the case.

'Cause who needs improvement? amirite?

I didn't ask Klok to say that, and personally, I don't think it matters that Aeo helps me. Just because she helps me out, doesn't automatically put me at her level. I've only been doing this for a year, while she has about 7 under her belt.

Klok, y u cause so much trouble.

I don't keep tabs on peoples ability to sprite, if he's improved incredibly than I mustn't have noticed, it's not in my way to spend my time studying the standards of every spriter upon the board, you are where you are, in the end improvement doesn't count to much.

Because everybody can magically sprite decent quality full customs on their first try, right? Not only does this imply that you utterly fail to acknowledge the painstaking process and practice it takes to improve to a point where work becomes acceptably decent, but you also go as far as demeaning the very merit of hard work and honest effort? Really? Is this your approach to spriting? To art? I don't really care that you "don't keep tabs" on everyone's abilities, but don't you dare insult their efforts.

Not denoting him of anything, just pointing out that if you're going to have people going around behind you boasting that you've been personally tutored by in my opinion one of the best spriters in Fire Emblem, then you'd better have done some pretty jaw dropping stuff. It's like saying you've been tutored by Da Vinci but then you look at your work and it's horrid, it just sets up a ridiculous standard and gives deluded expectations.

I've already offered my excuses as a terrible mentor. I'm a shitty person to learn from because I just can't bother my lazy ass to sit the fuck down for five minutes to actually offer constructive criticism. It's kind of like having a professor who might be great in their field and shit, but when it comes down to it, they have no business being in a classroom and imparting any sort of knowledge, practical or otherwise, unto others because they're just so goddamn awful at it.

As far as deluded expectations go, it's not as if I've anything absolutely amaaaaaaazing under my belt or anything. Like, really, I hardly even sprite, and somehow my name keeps popping up like I'm some kind of legend or something. If anything's being blown out of proportion, it's probably what y'all seem to expect of me or something. I am not, have not, nor ever will be some kind of talented genius spriter with abilities beyond comprehension. I'm maybe a bit above average, but anything beyond that is flying waaaaaay into fantasy land. All this name dropping makes me really wish I'm half as good as y'all make me sound. I've been at this shit almost 7 years now, and this is all I have to show for it. If anything, I'm the fucking slowest learner of all fucking time, goshflippit. If I'm to go full circle with this argument, I'd like to add that, in my case, improvement clearly fucking matters, because it's taken me this long only to get this far.

Goshfuck, Klok, keep your goshflippin' mouth shut next time, hnnnnnngh. You keep getting us into trouble. D8<

Edited by mechanicalWALTZ

Splice-Competition54.png

I decided "Eh, i have time to kill". This is my first splice...

Details:

- The Hair Is Saleh's. Has been Customized a Bit so it could look balanced...

- The Facial Structure is Saleh's Eyes with Gale's Face and Ear

- The Armor is Most Gale's. The Spiked Shoulder Guard is From Echidna!

Edited by *Narshen*

TIPS:

- Hit Saleh's face with FE7 colors. It stands out a lot.

- Dunno if moving the face to the right one pixel will help. Alternately, use his head instead of Gale's.

- There's something funny by the middle of the jaw.

Otherwise, not bad for a first go-round~!

I'm out of ideas. . .so if I'm hit with something, I'll give it a shot.

1. Find someone else in FE6/7 with the eye color you want.

2. Color-replace all the outline (his eyebrows, for one), as well as the eye color. If you keep the "white", replace that, too.

3. See how it looks.

Look at your splice's ear. Now go down to about where the neck meets the armor. Somewhere in that area, there's some stray pixels. Please clean them up!

Splice-Competition54AttemptIII-1.png

Wow... His eyes look much different from last time...

Thanks for your help... Seems like a good difference to me!

Edited by *Narshen*

Trace a line from his earlobe down. Trace another line from about the tip of his chin to the right. Look slightly above where the two lines meet. The stray pixels are there.

Load of bs

Did Yoshi ever say anything? NO. Klok slipped up and that's him not being mindful, but I'm pretty sure neither are trying to boast. And I'll say what I was going to say last time. You're an inferior spriter to Yoshi. You have no right to insult his work and tell him to give up when you aren't even as good as him in however many years you've been at this compared to Yoshi's time at spriting. By your logic I should tell you to give up, shouldn't I?

Except I won't, because like I said, everyone progresses at their own pace. I don't care if they're tutored by motherfucking Pi and wasn't even at Yoshi's level right now. You don't tell them to give up.

2 things I'd like to say real quick.

1. Quit the bickering. Doesn't get much more straightforward than that. This is not the place to go at each others throats. If you for some reason NEED to continue this, there's a little feature called PM or Personal/Private Messaging. Keep your grievances private, please.

2. I may make something, but I'm a bit intimidated based on what I've seen so far, so we'll have to see if I feel like putting the effort forth to try to top the others.

That is all.

@TD -

1) You do realize that SF feeds off petty arguments, right? It's not like any one of us honestly cares all that much about the content of the arguments; we just enjoy not agreeing with each other. It'd be boring if everybody just got along. :B

2) I look forward to your entry.

loldragon_01.png

[spoiler=Proofyshit]qXiW.png

Mostly Saleh pad and Gale bangs. Additional hair taken mostly from Saleh and Echidna.