So I thought the RNG was my bitch until...

Belf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9V9EJcCitE

I got these RN's: LHLHHH. Reset the game, did nothing that would use any rn's, and attacked Paul (one of the desert bosses).

Lucius attacks Paul with 100% hit and 11% crit. Paul cannot retaliate since its a ranged attack.

Lucius performs two criticals in a row. I understand the first one, but how is the second possible if the next 3 rn's are HHH?

Edited by bartre

It may be burning an RN after critical determination to check to assassination. I think it always does that, even if the class is not assassin. Check the next couple RNs in the stream.

It may be burning an RN after critical determination to check to assassination. I think it always does that, even if the class is not assassin. Check the next couple RNs in the stream.

That's what I hypothesized as well, and indeed that's probably what it is. I just always thought it only applies to assassins but I guess not.

i once considered using the memory viewer and judicious amounts of hacking to decide what actions burn an RN

i stopped after i realized that (potentially) any staff could burn an RN

Im 99.9% sure that healing staves dont burn a RN. Sleep, silence, and berserk have hit rate so they should burn RNs. Does the rescue staff burn a RN like warp does? I could test it myself but I dont have any save files with the rescue staff at the moment...

Don't test with the arrows, I meant testing with VBA's memory viewer.

I could check the source code (or just memory hack a rescue staff into someone's inventory) if necessary but i'm lazy

If you get the string

45 (tails), 32 (tails), 45 (tails)

and you test a result that burns only one RN

you would see

(tails) -> (tails)

I suppose with longer strings it's more accurate but I find it's far easier (and faster) to just watch the string of RNs get burned in real-time.

Edited by Camtech