How to Fix Mis-Aligned Portraits in FEditor.

Chainsaw Police

mhmm.png

Howdy guys. I'm writing up a tutorial for face insertion because some beginner hackers are having some trouble with aligining the frames in FEditor.

Now, I could say to just align the frames. Simple, three words. But that gives very little description on what frames to drag, where to drag them, drag them to look like what. And when someone gets asked to explain, the "it's dead-obvious" card is pulled. Well, maybe it is for some, but newbies have no idea!

Now, let's assume you've read my tutorial for Formatting Portraits for FEditor Yeeeah, it's not up yet for some reason.

Alright, now until I get afformentioned tutorial up and online, let's take a mugsheet I've made. It's a tad dodgy and lacks blinking frames, but it's the only custom already-prepped mugsheet I've got on hand (direct your critiques here).

Jozaiah.png

Let's open FEditor and load a vanilla FE7 ROM, then head on over to the Portrait Editor.

1.PNG

For learning's sake, let's replace Lyn's initial portrait. Set the Input Index to 16, this is Lyn's regular portrait. Now Load your mugsheet From File. Easy as!

3.png

Woah, fuck. Droopy eyes and wonky alignment. Don't fear! If you've ever tried inserting a custom portrait, you'll recognise this.

Before we get too excited, let's just see what happens when we just do a raw import and save it.

4.png

Urgh... Looks fine-ish, better than what it did in the FEditor. But when he blinks, the real damage shows through.

Okay, now let's fix it all up.

img lynmug

Simply click and drag the wonky misaligned chunks in the red-highlighted area (from a few screenshots above) until they fit just right.

5.png

6.png

Now save your ROM, apply changes, and boot it up. Let's see it work!

7.png

Aaaand easy as cake. Have fun, hacking people.

Well, the requirement to be able to line them up properly, is that the frames you make on the formatted mug... is that those pixels are divisible by 4.

you're still being really really dodgy in the way that you're explaining that... How can a pixel, the smallest unit of measurement on a digital screen, be divisible at all?

i think what you mean is that the eyes and mouth frames have to align to the face on a 4x4 grid.

you're still being really really dodgy in the way that you're explaining that... How can a pixel, the smallest unit of measurement on a digital screen, be divisible at all?

i think what you mean is that the eyes and mouth frames have to align to the face on a 4x4 grid.

thevalues.png

See the corners? The values of starting points of the frame should be divisible by 4.

The pixel of the top left corner is the pixel at 24 x 48. And since it's a 32 x 16 pixel frame, all the other corners are divisible by 4 as well.

That is how you should make the frames.

Edited by shadowofchaos

yep, exactly what i expained.

only without the presence of a huge fucking screenshot and in less words.

the eyes and mouth frames have to align to the face on a 4x4 grid.

Why thank you for the friendly tone for someone simply attempting to clarify it for people and contribute to your nicely done tutorial.

Having the phrase you said AND a screenshot would be helpful for people, no?

Goddamnit Rey, it's 8x8 grid (you really did explain it poorly, IMO and the screenshot is needlessly big for your example). And here's how I would say it:

Most images/graphics in GBA, including face portraits in GBA FE's, are made from 8 x 8 tiles. Therefore, the size and location on the frames has to be divisible by 8 x 8. For example, 24 x 16 is divisible by 8 x 8, but 15 x 16 isn't and neither is 8 x 23.

I'd also recommend not using x in 8x8, it can get new people to confuse coordinates and sizes with hex values and since we can use hex values as coordinates, it just gets worse. Something like (8,8) would probably be better.

Edited by Nintenlord

Why thank you for the friendly tone for someone simply attempting to clarify it for people and contribute to your nicely done tutorial.

No probs! <3

Having the phrase you said AND a screenshot would be helpful for people, no?

Well, I was pretty much sayign that the screenshot was a teensy bit too big, not that it was unecessary.

czech yourself before u wrzech yourself, bro

it's 8x8 grid

Ah, my bad! I thought it was 8x8, but also had a feeling it was 4x4, and seeing shadow constantly referring to 4 made me think otherwise, oops!

Most images/graphics in GBA, including face portraits in GBA FE's, are made from 8 x 8 tiles. Therefore, the size and location on the frames has to be divisible by 8 x 8. For example, 24 x 16 is divisible by 8 x 8, but 15 x 16 isn't and neither is 8 x 23.

Interesting! I thought that was the case.

I'd also recommend not using x in 8x8, it can get new people to confuse coordinates and sizes with hex values and since we can use hex values as coordinates, it just gets worse. Something like (8,8) would probably be better.

Fair enough. I'm just used to the contextual differences (to me personally, i cant confuse "an 8x8 grid" for something related to hex!)

The tutorial to end all tutorials! Thanks CP, surely many newbs will get an answer out of this.

Thanks, I often find giving simple answers in detailed form helps people more than simple answers in simple form! Then again though, it was a deathly-easy thing to write up, on a deathly-easy topic.

Meh, if people get help out of it, I guess I've done something right!

Edited by Chainsaw Police

• 4 years later...

Question; I replaced Lyn with my own character(Eyes of arthurfe8, Zephiel child head and body, Noah hair but change to black), it is successful but mine is wavering/moving when closing eyes. what should I do?