Tiled map Creation/Insertion Tutorial

MarkyJoe1990

Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/35795576/Tiled%20Tutorial.zip
Alternate Download

Map Reference Table: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/35795576/TutorialsAndResources/Map%20Information.html
Map Changes Reference Table: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/35795576/TutorialsAndResources/Tile%20Changes%20Information.html

This is a tutorial I made ages ago because I felt Nintenlord's wasn't very good. It explains in excruciating detail how to make and insert maps into Fire Emblem 7. It uses numerous images and diagrams for visual aid. It also has two reference tables to help you figure out the exact offsets of the original maps and tile changes so that you can replace them easily. Not even a person with an extra chromosome will fail at making maps now!

Let me know if I wasn't detailed enough at certain parts, or if you come across any problems.

Edited by Primefusion
Added alternate download link

I do like those tables you did. But I do still have a problem:

Lastly, there is the ID. This is the ID number of your tile change. Your first tile change should have an ID of 0, the next, 1, and so on. Tile changes are read on the map from top to bottom, left to right, so if you have two tile changes, the one that is higher up on the map should have the lower number. If they are on the same height, then the one closest to the left should have the lower number. If you don't order the ID of the tile changes correctly, then door and chest tile changes will usually activate the wrong tile change. For example, if you have a tile change event high up on your map with an ID of 1, and a door tile change event that occurs when you open a door much lower on the map with an ID of 0, opening the door will just activate the other tile event rather than actually opening the door.

Never heard of GBA FE doing anything like this, you sure about this?

Also, you should mention the fact that the Tiled saves the location/folder of the tileset into the map file, so if you move the tilesets after creating your map, you can break your Tiled file and it will require some manual fixing.

Edited by Nintenlord

Never heard of GBA FE doing anything like this, you sure about this?

Based on my experiences, yes. Though, since I've become very good with tile events, this hasn't happened to me in a long time, so it's possible my memory is just failing me and I just don't remember what happens when you mess up. I'll probably do a test sometime soon to confirm this.

Also, you should mention the fact that the Tiled saves the location/folder of the tileset into the map file, so if you move the tilesets after creating your map, you can break your Tiled file and it will require some manual fixing.

Ahh yes. That's right. I should mention that the TMX file can be opened up in notepad and you can change what location the tmx file gets it's tileset from.

Will definitely add at some point. I should also include an FAQ for other problems.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I confirm this works in FE8 as well.

I finally got some functioning Tile changes. Yay! Thanks a lot for the tutorial, Marc.

Edit: To manually trigger FE8 map changes, use the following code:

_SETVAL 0xB 0xYY00XX // set the top left angle of your map change -- this should be the same you programmed in Tiled!!

_0x1620 0xAB // triggers sound effect 0xAB (bridge in chapter 8 breaking)

_0x2720 0xFFFF // trigger said map change. Note that _0x2721 0xFFFF reverts the map change.

Many thanks to Vennobennu who discovered this. I just tried it on my custom map and it works. the sound effect bit is mine though :P

Edited by Alfred Kamon

So there isn't a "Map Reference Table" or a "Map Changes Reference Table" for FE8 so I made a terrible formated one.

LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pguv2gvff66z2xc/FE8%20Pointer%20Things.txt

Doesn't included ALL maps, but it shows the "basic" ones, AKA the main chapters.

If you want to calculate any of the other maps, say on of the valni tower ones, and their map changes here's how:

Take this number:
fsgt.png

and multiply it by 4 in a Hex calculator. Then add 8B363C to it.

For example the pointer to the prologue map changes is 8b3654, which is 18 + 8B363C and 6 x 4 = 18 (in hex, hex is weird).

Hope this helps somebody. Also sorry in advance if one of those pointers is wrong.

EDIT: In case someone asks why this is helpful, you need the map changes pointer to insert map changes with TILED. You don't NEED the map pointer but it makes it easier. :P

Edited by Matt Snow

• 3 years later...

Sorry to bump the old topic, but the download link to this tutorial is dead and I can't find an alternate download anywhere else. If somebody could reupload Markyjoe's tutorial I would greatly appreciate it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

So I have been following this tutorial, and it has been working up until I've tried to add layers. When I go to layer properties, I don't see a way to give it an ID or anything.
Does anyone know a way around this? My Tiled is 1.0.3 on a mac. (I know, no one likes mac lol)

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 8.31.10 PM.png

So I added those as a custom int property and filled it all out. But when I try to insert the map, I get this error:

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
No data written to ROM

I can't find a parameter named index...
I've already double checked all my map changes that they're the appropriate size and no extra tiles unaccounted for.
Have you encountered this before?