If you could change one thing about Awakening, what would it be?

Wander

To everyone asking for seize objectives... it really doesn't make that much of a difference, and it wouldn't fit the feel of the story anyway. Like, there just aren't plausible gates or thrones on a lot of the maps. And, you know, there's a reason the localization says "defeat commander" instead of "defeat boss". This game isn't about storming castles, it's about the war out on the battlefield.

Yeah, that's something that has bothered me from FE9 and on. I'd think a Gamecube or Wii disk (For Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn) or a 3ds cartridge would have enough space to give every character a speaking role

A GBA cartridge would, too. Text is tiny compared to basically everything else you put in a game.

The reason you don't see these things is because someone has to write this script, and consider all the possibilities for what happens, and make sure that every possibility has coherent results. It's just too much effort for the results you get out of it, because there are always wayyyy more possibilities than you think once you start headed down that path.

That's kinda why characters retreat when defeated in the first place, so that you don't have to write e.g. the alternate scenes when Lissa isn't there to provide Chrom with emotional support when bad stuff happens.

I think escape and defend missions would've helped in that regard. I feel to establish Plegia as a somewhat threatening enemy they could've thrown in a chapter where you took control of the pegasus knight squad that Cordelia was in (or take control of generic soldiers) where they have to defend Ylisstol (Don't know if I spelled it correct) for like 10 or so turns with Gangrel as the boss, and throw in powerful enemies as well. (Or something to that affect)

I like this. But I would argue that (spoilers up to at least chapter 23)

The reason Plegia's move against Ylisstol happens abruptly is because, well, they're not the ones calling the shots. In fact, there's a whole chain of people on the red team manipulating each other, leading all the way to Validar and a future version of Avatar. Ordinary Plegians, including Gangrel, are being coerced, blackmailed and otherwise mainpulated into achieving the Grimleal's goals. Although for most of them, despite all the talk of "destiny", it doesn't really seem to matter how things play out as long as lots of people die so as to nourish Grima...

(And yeah, the scripted battle with Basilio and Flavia vs Walhart was like, the best thing ever. So much more evocative than the Risen archers taking out Emmeryn's peggies.)

Regardless, it didn't really bother me. I guess I tend not to notice disconnects between gameplay and story as much, as long as both are good individually (check and double-check).

I hated it when there were still more chests/enemies(exp) and the "commander" would move from his spot and get killed.

You can actually tell whether the boss will move; the ones that don't are specially coded to have '-' (i.e. 0) movement.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel weird about saying so, but I'm actually fine with Tharja's outfit as a dark mage and sorcerer. She's the only one who really pulls it off, since her personality is so dark and sadistic. All the people who start as dark mages are quite loony and deranged and the generic outfit has an Egyptian cult mystique to it. DLC Micaiah's just.... no. No no no.

With that out of the way...

-Make everyone who rides a mount wear pants, like Maribelle and almost everyone in Tellius does.

-Defend and Escape objectives, or maybe some of the more creative objectives of the Tellius games. Seize is unnecessary since it's almost exactly the same as Defeat Commander.

I have issues with the story's pacing but honestly I'll just wait for the next game and hope for the best. At least all the cutscenes in this game are amazing.