If you could change one thing about Awakening, what would it be?

Wander

Regarding the story, I'm at Ch9 in the English version, and some stuff has been really bugging me.

Plegia's actions to simply crush Ylisse are way too abrupt and are relegated far too often to offscreen stuff we only hear about. Meanwhile, on the battlefield, Chrom's team routs them every time. Forget the gameplay implications - limiting the objectives to ones entailing total domination just doesn't work fort establishing the enemy as a powerful force that actually wins battles.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the story, I'm at Ch9 in the English version, and some stuff has been really bugging me.

Plegia's actions to simply crush Ylisse are way too abrupt and are relegated far too often to offscreen stuff we only hear about. Meanwhile, on the battlefield, Chrom's team routs them every time. Forget the gameplay implications - limiting the objectives to ones entailing total domination just doesn't work fort establishing the enemy as a powerful force that actually wins battles.

This bothered me too. I never looked at Plegia as a powerful enemy, because I destroyed them and it never showed them dominating Ylisse, in either strength or numbers, it just tells you it happens.

Daien, as a counter example, seemed like a far more powerful force in Path of Radiance, while Begnion was already established as powerful before Radiant Dawn happened. The very fact that several of the early Path of Radiance chapters involve merely surviving or escaping reinforces this fact tenfold.

2. Cordelia/chrom support

Considering she's supposed to be based off of Catria whom had romantic feelings for Marth but never voiced them...there's a reason for this.

I think escape and defend missions would've helped in that regard. I feel to establish Plegia as a somewhat threatening enemy they could've thrown in a chapter where you took control of the pegasus knight squad that Cordelia was in (or take control of generic soldiers) where they have to defend Ylisstol (Don't know if I spelled it correct) for like 10 or so turns with Gangrel as the boss, and throw in powerful enemies as well. (Or something to that affect)

Edited by Zelos

I wish minor characters, at least the ones married to Chrom or Avatar, would have a part in the story. "OTL It's one thing that always bugged me about Fire Emblem games, only like 5-6 characters have actual lines, the rest are there to kill stuff. It's rather sad.

I wish minor characters, at least the ones married to Chrom or Avatar, would have a part in the story. "OTL It's one thing that always bugged me about Fire Emblem games, only like 5-6 characters have actual lines, the rest are there to kill stuff. It's rather sad.

Yeah, that's something that has bothered me from FE9 and on. I'd think a Gamecube or Wii disk (For Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn) or a 3ds cartridge would have enough space to give every character a speaking role, and have the script be slightly changed if a character that would speak had died. (If it was like this, Chrom, the Avatar, Lissa, Frederick, Lucina, or anyone who retreats when defeated would say the dead character's line, just changed to be in character for the speaker)

Edited by Zelos

This never stops. Not from Valm, and not even for the Grimleal.

This never stops. Not from Valm, and not even for the Grimleal.

At least you get to see Walma- errr Walhart beat the hell out of Basilio, so I think they conveyed the threat of Valm a bit better than Plegia's. (I do however agree that they could've done better in that regard.)

Edited by Zelos

I suppose not so much change, but I wish they would've kept the silent protagonist option for the voices for the NA version.

Does anybody know why they even took that out?

In the silent protagonist option I believe other characters spoke for the avatar, so they probably didn't feel like translating that.

Like others said, FE9~10 handled story/gameplay connections better.

It helped that those games have disposable, non-playable forces to illustrate how "big" those battles are.

I think FE7 has some minor characters show up to say something in certain chapters if they are brought there. Don't think that has worked too well. O played through it not realizing they even exist.

I think a good way to handle this is with base conversations. Minor characters can talk to each other or do something, and in sync with the main story instead of independently like the supports. FE9 and FE12 almost got it right. Almost.

Its been a while since I played FE7...

Augh, I wish father/child supports weren't so damn generic. :/ It's almost worse than Harvest Moon A New Beginning, where your kid looks the same no matter how you look, or who you marry. Why bother to offer near-limitless supports, then get so damn lazy with a huge handful of them? Even I could come up with sone unique supports for father/children conversations. I won't bother trying to get more supports in this game, the laziness just isn't worth it.

Augh, I wish father/child supports weren't so damn generic. :/ It's almost worse than Harvest Moon A New Beginning, where your kid looks the same no matter how you look, or who you marry. Why bother to offer near-limitless supports, then get so damn lazy with a huge handful of them? Even I could come up with sone unique supports for father/children conversations. I won't bother trying to get more supports in this game, the laziness just isn't worth it.

I won't call supports near-limitless. Being able to support with only 2 or 3 same-gendered freinds is... arrrgh.

I'm also baffled with the complete lack of conversations between gen 1 and gen 2 and between gen 1 and others. Surely they share at least some common interest? Virion and Inigo are both womanizers, Lissa looks like she'd talk to Lucina a lot and so on. Same for those outside of the parent/child system. [spoiler=For example - quite some spoiler below]Basilio doesn't talk to Lon'qu, Olivia or Grego? Flavia doesn't show interest in hiring Chrom's team (unlike her ending)? Priam and Walhart sure are interested in each other's prowess despite their completely opposite eating habit! And there's Emmeryn with Chrom, Lissa and Gangrel... Oh, and Say'ri and Yen'fey. They basically expressed how they miss their true siblings, then rarely spoke again.

I do hope - and actually do think - this will improve in later games.[spoiler=And here's why]In the later Future of Despair DLC chapters, the parent-child conversations are unique for each father. Apparently, IS realized their problems with generic support and the lack of possible support pairs, so they made it up by means of DLC. Even though these post-release changes don't affect gameplay like normal supports do, at least they got it addressed somehow.

Edited by nocturnal YL

Just one thing? Well it's not enough, there are so much I'd change.

1°) More reclass options (Some first gen chars feels useless when you start having the children and spotpass due to extremely restricted skill options)

2°) Completely delete some spotpass characters (Arden, Brom, I'm looking at you guys) to make room for others, less joke-like, more story important or popular ones.

3°) Fixed children sprites ala FE4 (it's stupid, but it bugs me that all children except Lucina have hair color depending on their "other" parent)

4°) Feet

5°) Limitless marriage option

6°) More victory conditions. (I'm at chapter 20 and kinda bored of root root kill)

You know how some times, when you're on the event tiles, and a character(or two, maybe) would ask if you've found your true love? Replace that line of dialogue with "has something special happened with -husband/wife-?"

I would want light magic... and feet. Definitely feet.

While I don't mind them gliding on the ground, it would be nice if they did something about that in a future installment or something.

Well, I'd also like MU to be able to be a Lord, Manakete, or Taguel, but...

Not happening.

[spoiler=Ending]I was a bit disappointed by the lack of dialog in the endings. I mean no scene between Chrom and Lucina? She didn't really say anything at the end and just kind of disappears (it doesn't even say what becomes of her if you married her). I just think there should have been a bit more ending dialog in general.

2. Cordelia/chrom support

Considering she's supposed to be based off of Catria whom had romantic feelings for Marth but never voiced them...there's a reason for this.

Didn't have to be a romantic support. One that stops at A would have been painful as frig to read.

Didn't have to be a romantic support. One that stops at A would have been painful as frig to read.

[spoiler=DLC]Their Bonds of Summer conversation sounds very, very painful. Makes me want to slap Chrom's face and tell him why does she act so strangely only when talking to him.

Bring back "seize throne" and have enemies pair up too. Also add full voice acting and more animated cut scenes.

I hated it when there were still more chests/enemies(exp) and the "commander" would move from his spot and get killed.

Pairing up felt so OP. I felt like I was using cheat codes.

I'd also add a Maniac mode for in between Hard and Lunatic mode...

Maniac sounds just as hard as Lunatic. How about "Very Hard"? And then an "Easy" mode before Normal...not that Normal is too challenging for me...*cough*