How do you figure out a character's stat caps in Awakening?

Actually, you take their class caps, and factor in the modifiers. Children characters inherit the sum of their parent's maximum stat modifiers, +1.

Edited by Levant Fortner

Not really. Caps are unaffected by the parents's current stats, only the modifiers, but the child's base stats are determined by the parents' current stats. So the higher the the parents's stats, the higher the child's base stats.

Not really. Caps are unaffected by the parents's current stats, only the modifiers, but the child's base stats are determined by the parents' current stats. So the higher the the parents's stats, the higher the child's base stats.

So base stats for the child don't really matter too much in the sense that you can just go and "grind" the child eventually to max stats right? Effectively it just sounds like you are making it more convenient.

So base stats for the child don't really matter too much in the sense that you can just go and "grind" the child eventually to max stats right? Effectively it just sounds like you are making it more convenient.

If I understand what you're asking, no, in fact you probably won't be able to cap Chrom's stats by the time Lucina is recruited as you will need to reclass Chrom at least twice to begin maxing stats and that's just Chrom, you'll have to grind levels and reclass with his wife too.

To calculate Lucina's stats upon her recruitment (as well as the other 12 children), you'll need this formula: [(mother's current stats - mother's class base stats) + (Chrom'scurrent stats - Chrom's class base stats) + Lucina's absolute base stats]/3.

The only reason you should grind before recruiting the children is to give them the skills you want them to inherit.

If I understand what you're asking, no, in fact you probably won't be able to cap Chrom's stats by the time Lucina is recruited as you will need to reclass Chrom at least twice to begin maxing stats and that's just Chrom, you'll have to grind levels and reclass with his wife too.

To calculate Lucina's stats upon her recruitment (as well as the other 12 children), you'll need this formula: [(mother's current stats - mother's class base stats) + (Chrom'scurrent stats - Chrom's class base stats) + Lucina's absolute base stats]/3.

The only reason you should grind before recruiting the children is to give them the skills you want them to inherit.

Thanks so much Naui and you understood it perfectly. I get so OCD about my RPGs and I really try and make sure I am doing everything right before I move on. Thanks again for the formula and for all the help everyone else provided!