Making Patches?

The Objection!

Since I'm basically new to hacking, please allow me a noobish question. Let's just say I created a FE hack on my ROM (even though I haven't) How could I turn said hack into a patch for everyone to play?

Since posting links to roms is illegal and all, why would you even download a new rom when all you needed to do was apply a patch to your already existing rom?

Oh, and if there's something about this topic that breaks the rules, please let me know, since I don't need a warning right now...

It's pretty self-explanatory when you use programs like NUPS. You select the original ROM, and then your modified ROM, and (presumably) the program finds any differences between them and turns that into a patch.

There's usually no need to download a new ROM unless for some reason you've made some changes to yours. :):

Edited by Agro

It's THAT easy? And here I thought that it requires a long task of coding and such...

While I'm here, how do you update a patch, while being able to use save files from the previous version of the patch?

Edited by Objection!!

You just do the same thing, applying the new patch to a new ROM. Patching tends to screw up sometimes if you apply the patch to a ROM that's already modified. Alternatively you could make the "original" file the previous version and the newer file the latest version--this way people wouldn't have to go out and find a fresh ROM (though honestly that isn't very hard).

To use the same save, you just have to rename the ROM so that it matches the .sav file (or rename the .sav so that it matches the ROM).