F-Zero GX Review - The greatest racer of last gen?

Zera

Greetings, folks. Today I am here to review F-Zero GX, a game which I didn't even know about until recently, as I've never played an F-Zero game before.

Here is a brief history of F-Zero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDXVgpqKzO8

Here are two very good reviews of F-Zero GX by other people; they should give you a good idea of what the game is like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cak59fdZxkw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN8bMvYbLTw

The F-Zero series is different from most racers in that it cares about what matters most - SPEED! We're talking futuristic hover cars flying at speeds over 1000 kilometers per hour on average, or 621 miles per hour. Vehicles can even reach speeds of over 2000 kph on occasion. Now that's fast! And because speed is a multiplier for difficulty, this game puts the "hard" back in hardcore. At 1000 kph, sharp corners can become deadly obstacles.

F-Zero GX is one of the best looking games for Gamecube, or even Wii, for that matter. The graphics are very detailed, very clean, and they look amazing running at 60 frames per second as you break the sound barrier. No matter how fast you go, the frame rate never dips, not even in splitscreen multiplayer. It's a game that still looks great today. Every course setting in the game has its own fast paced techno track to keep you going, and each music track fits the level perfectly. The story mode features some excellent CGI sequences, although the dialogue can be difficult to hear. You can press the Z button to turn on subtitles if you need to.

The controls for this game are incredibly tight and responsive, and the game even lets you calibrate your control stick for optimal performance. Even the slightest change in how far you tilt the control stick will subtly change the sharpness of your turn, and you will seldom attribute failure to anything but your own lack of skill. The track designs are both insanely creative and creatively insane, and mastering them is the key to victory. In addition, there are dozens of playable characters with unique machines, and tons of parts to let you create your own. With the Grand Prix, Story Mode, Multiplayer, Time Trials and more, this game has a lot to offer.

I'd like to end the review right here and give F-Zero GX a 10\10, but I can't, because F-Zero GX cannot escape its killer flaw... It's too hard. Beating the Grand Prix cups on Novice and Standard difficulties is fine, but once you get to Expert and the unlockable Master difficulty, things start getting crazy. You will need to master the controls, memorize the tracks, and play like a boss to keep up with the competition. Since the speed is so fast, random-freak-accidents can happen. Imagine that you're about to win a GP... suddenly, a computer hits you from behind, and you hit a guardrail. As you ricochet off the guardrail, a bump in the track sends you flying into the abyss. You explode and die. Now imagine that, but in a fraction of a second - Wham-bam-SMASH! And what's this? You've run out of Spare Vehicles (continues)? I guess you'll just have to restart the entire cup. That will happen at some point, and it might infuriate you. The computer AI in this game is immaculate. High level computers will always take the optimal path on a course and they will NEVER hit guardrails or fall off the course on their own. It doesn't matter how much trouble Drift Highway, Serial Gaps, Half Pipe, or Phantom Road give you; all courses are easy for the computers. The fact that computers can bump you off the path you're trying to take doesn't help either. Throw in a bit of subtle rubberbanding (Nooo!!!) and now it doesn't feel 100% fair.

Story Mode is somehow even harder. You must repeatedly DIE your way through 9 action-packed chapters as Captain Falcon. Each chapter can be played on 3 difficulties: Normal, Hard, and Very Hard. More accurate names would be Very Hard, Oh My God, and Borderline Impossible. I've only made it to Chapter 7 as of this review, and I'm beginning to consider genuinely giving up. But the difficulty itself isn't the real problem for me - it's that UNLOCKABLES are tied to the ultimate challenges. If you want to unlock the racers, parts, and tracks from F-Zero AX, the arcade counterpart to F-Zero GX, you have 2 options:

1. Plug your GC memory card into an AX arcade machine (Which are VERY hard to find). Play with characters and parts to unlock them, and win on tracks to unlock those. (Fairly simple)

2. In GX, beat every Grand Prix on MASTER difficulty and beat every Story Mode chapter on VERY HARD difficulty. (Good luck!)

I understand that Sega games are usually harder than Nintendo games, but they really went out of control with this one. Other than the ludicrous difficulty curve, however, I have absolutely no complaints for this game at all. Despite being released in 2003, it truly is the future of racing games. Since Nintendo and Sega have recently entered a partnership to work on Sonic games, I REALLY hope they seriously consider teaming up again to make an F-Zero game for WiiU. It could have HD graphics, online modes, a track editor, NO rubberbanding, and maybe an easy mode for less skilled players! One thing I know for sure is that I'd definitely prefer it to yet another Mario Kart... Don't we have enough of those already?

9\10 Face Melting!

If you want a less masochistic racer for your Gamecube or Wii, I recommend Kirby Air Ride, which is the most underrated Gamecube game, period.

Edited by Zera

I've always wanted to play F-Zero GX, since from the youtube videos alone, it looks awesome and thrilling (I mean, the incredible track detail combined with the insane speed give off an incredible sense of how fast these vehicles are really going). Sadly, it's the only F-Zero I haven't played since I don't have a Gamecube and finding a Gamecube controller, a memory card, and F-Zero GX is a bit too much for one game).

Do you happen to have a Gameshark? A few months ago, people actually discovered that F-Zero AX was accessible in F-Zero GX with a Gameshark code. Unlocking AX racers will be a lot less difficult, since you just pick them in AX, finish a race with them (it'll work even if you're in last place), and they'll be saved as unlocked on your memory card.

Also, who are your F-Zero mains and who's your best of the original 4 F-Zero racers? My mains are Jack Levin, Dr. Stewart, Captain Falcon, and Bio Rex.

I wouldn't say that the Grand Prix was too hard on any difficulty, although some of the missions were pretty nasty. Story mode in general was pretty bad, especially with the voice acting.

I'm a fan of Zoda and Red Gazelle, who needs durability?

"Too hard"? It sounds like your criticizing Expert and Master mode for making you have to be some kind of "expert" or "master" the game.

Great game, and I'm a big F-Zero fan, but this game...it ruined F-Zero music. This game has one of the worst soundtracks I've ever heard in my life.

Great game, and I'm a big F-Zero fan, but this game...it ruined F-Zero music. This game has one of the worst soundtracks I've ever heard in my life.

What an lul opinion. Really, lul.

I wanna comment on the difficulty too. Grand Prix is nothing compared story mode. By the way you should have memorized the courses already if you went through both novice and standard. Neat review, I guess.

Little Wyvern, Bunny Flash, Iron Tiger, Big Fang and Astro Robin all day erry day. That's like a main and four secondaries.

I don't see what's so "lul" about it. Listen to the amazing music in the past games, and then go to F-Zero GX's ear-grating stock techno loops.

EDIT: Except for some of the pilot themes. I always forget about those at first.

Edited by Boney

Do you happen to have a Gameshark? A few months ago, people actually discovered that F-Zero AX was accessible in F-Zero GX with a Gameshark code. Unlocking AX racers will be a lot less difficult, since you just pick them in AX, finish a race with them (it'll work even if you're in last place), and they'll be saved as unlocked on your memory card.

Also, who are your F-Zero mains and who's your best of the original 4 F-Zero racers? My mains are Jack Levin, Dr. Stewart, Captain Falcon, and Bio Rex.

So I can unlock AX stuff by playing the AX in GX? That would make things a LOT easier. I've never had a Gameshark or other cheating device, but is there something that will work with the Wii (because I no longer have a GC)?

As I stated, F-Zero GX is the only F-Zero Game I have played. I mostly use Captain Falcon because he's easy to use.

"Too hard"? It sounds like your criticizing Expert and Master mode for making you have to be some kind of "expert" or "master" the game.

I know, right? I don't use the "advanced techniques" like quick turn, momentum turbo slide, or snaking. At least not yet. I prefer it when a game is based less on technical skill and more on reflexes, precision, and strategy. (Not that F0GX is lacking in that). Also, I read somewhere that snaking in this game can give you carpal tunnel and arthritis.

Edited by Zera

Have you tried different settings(acceleration/top speed)?

Of course. I find that leaning toward acceleration increases handling. I've also noticed that some heavier cars seem to "auto drift" if you turn a lot while moving at high speed.

Of course. I find that leaning toward acceleration increases handling. I've also noticed that some heavier cars seem to "auto drift" if you turn a lot while moving at high speed.

Generally you never want to go to acceleration, a higher top speed will serve you better on virtually every track.

I don't see what's so "lul" about it. Listen to the amazing music in the past games, and then go to F-Zero GX's ear-grating stock techno loops.

EDIT: Except for some of the pilot themes. I always forget about those at first.

I've heard the music from the original, X and Maximum Velocity. I like it. Then I went to GX's 'ear-grating' music, which I like as well. Pilot themes are neat. So much cheese. I would not have cared if you said something like, 'in my opinion' or, 'I think', by the way.

Hey, Shin, I always go full acceleration on Multiplex. Get at me.

I usually max the speed, but if a track has lots of curves I'll set the bar halfway.

Does anyone have advice for really sharp turns? Turns that I usually hit include the S curve in Drift Highway, the crosses in Double Branches, the S curve in Chapter 6, and the turn near the end of Chapter 7.

@Zera: Use the L and R buttons to help you turn. If you press the L button and turn right, you'll do a tight turn right, but you'll lose grip. I think holding up helps give your machine its balance back.

@Emerald: I wouldn't normally be hard on soundtracks, but it's just relative. They put forth a very low amount of effort towards the course themes, and those are the most important ones for crying out loud. This is the F-Zero series, and SEGA developed this game. Between the past games of the F-Zero series, all the amazing music SEGA created for Sonic Adventure, and the fact that the pilot themes are clearly given more effort than the course themes, there's just no excuse. They had no reason to make repetitive drum and bass pieces for the courses. Cutscenes are excusable, but course themes are supposed to stand out from course to course.

Notable exceptions are Mute City and a Big Blue remix(must be unlocked, until you unlock it you're stuck with another techno loop). They're both really good. You could argue that these are remixes of established music from past games, but again, this is SEGA and not LJN. They've proven that they could make memorable tracks that are appropriate for their subjects, even in the game itself.

btw, go check out F-Zero GP Legend.

Aren't you supposed to hold the shoulder button of the direction you're trying to turn? Anyways, even with the L/R buttons I still often hit the turns in Chapters 6 and 7. I need a technique that will allow me to turn 90 degrees instantly.

@Emerald: I wouldn't normally be hard on soundtracks, but it's just relative. They put forth a very low amount of effort towards the course themes, and those are the most important ones for crying out loud. This is the F-Zero series, and SEGA developed this game. Between the past games of the F-Zero series, all the amazing music SEGA created for Sonic Adventure, and the fact that the pilot themes are clearly given more effort than the course themes, there's just no excuse. They had no reason to make repetitive drum and bass pieces for the courses. Cutscenes are excusable, but course themes are supposed to stand out from course to course.

Notable exceptions are Mute City and a Big Blue remix(must be unlocked, until you unlock it you're stuck with another techno loop). They're both really good. You could argue that these are remixes of established music from past games, but again, this is SEGA and not LJN. They've proven that they could make memorable tracks that are appropriate for their subjects, even in the game itself.

btw, go check out F-Zero GP Legend.

So you feel like no effort has been put into the soundtrack outside of the remixes and pilot themes. It's pointless to try to convince you otherwise, but have you actually listened to Sand Ocean's GX theme? I think it fits really well to be honest. But eh.

Iunno if that's directed at me, but I have a copy of GP Legend. If not, he oughta check out Climax.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone think there should be an F-Zero game for WiiU? Now that I've beaten Story Mode in F-Zero GX, I keep wondering where the online mode is. : [

GX was pretty intense, but I think X with the DD expansion kit was better since you could actually create your own tracks. The story mode is masochist but oh so satisfying once it's completed in Very Hard. Then for added content, you can try to unlock all of the Master Class videos or beat the Staff Ghosts, which range from fairly easy to insanely cruel if you don't know your Advanced techniques well enough.

I tend to favor high speed machines the most, namely the Big Fang, the Sonic Phantom and the Fat Shark, though I really don't like the Hyper Speeder.

Edited by Doga Blockovich

I always love a level/track editor. I find it odd that so few games include them, since they really add a ton of replay value, especially if you can share levels. Hopefully if there's an F-Zero game in the future they'll add one. I don't have the patience for Very Hard mode in Story Mode, but I -really- want to unlock everything. I've gotten used to turning, slide turning, drift turning, quick turning....yeah, this game has a lot of turning.

Some chapters are easier than others. Back in the day, it took me a lot of time to get Chapter 3 on Normal but after a while I could beat it on Very Hard in a single try.

Even chapter 7's difficulty was overrated, but 1, 5 and 9 were probably those that gave me the hardest time.

I always love a level/track editor. I find it odd that so few games include them, since they really add a ton of replay value, especially if you can share levels. Hopefully if there's an F-Zero game in the future they'll add one. I don't have the patience for Very Hard mode in Story Mode, but I -really- want to unlock everything. I've gotten used to turning, slide turning, drift turning, quick turning....yeah, this game has a lot of turning.

F-Zero X without the expansion kit didn't have a track editor, but it did have an extra cup where the game would literally generate random tracks every time you played. As far as I know, GX didn't even bother with this, which is weird...

The X cup had some really weird tracks where everyone else would kill themselves, usually after a pipe.

That and X had much more simple graphics that probably took less space on the cart.

There might be even more to it than that.