Bly's topic of stuff

blyegg

For hair, I'd also add that it pays to keep in mind where the strands are rooted in the scalp.

Helps when you need to focus on hair flow, parts and strands.

Your mug, for example, it's hard to really determine where hair is coming from and it looks messy, length looks choppy because the front hair looks like it's coming from the back of the head and other similar things which make it look bad.

Like Yasako said, get the head shape down solidly and then figure out where all the hair is coming from after that to really get the shaping and the like down.

Aeo has a couple blocks here that give insight into how she does hair, which is neat.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25963&page=3#entry2514013

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ill get back to that sprite soon but in the mean time

[spoiler=giant world map 1800x1800]3uxWjcT.jpg

names will be changed i have some placeholder names

the sapphire/platinum/etc names are there for a reason

thanks a lot to calthyechild (DA member who made tutorial i used part of (even though it was for ps i used paint.net guuh) and the brushes/icons), hoshi (xXHoshiHeartsXx), and crim (CrimsonRider)

and i have been notified of the trench, shutup

i dont have a better place than my sprite to put it tho so deal

Edited by Bky

HEY BLY you know what you should do you should do more maps these are nice.

I dare u to study plate tectonics to make a planet-compliant map

imig maybe its a long summer... if i get a hotstop i might do it on the way to disneyland when i go :W

ZHK9MX0.png

meanwhile

nice map, only problem i have at first glance is that the singular door looks like its melted into the wall, and it produces an odd effect. id suggest using a singular door tile instead of the middle section for the three tile wide door, but eh.

Nice maps, Bly~ So pretty ^^

Are the portraits free to use? O:

Nestled in his first post, at the very end where Bly's really old work is, states that some of them (the older ones) are free-to-use, but ask first (probably with which specific ones you want to use).

Just nipping at this habit before it proliferates: it's rude to ask for sprites wholesale from multiple people (i.e. hoarding) when you're spamming multiple threads / PMs to do it. Yes, sometimes it's okay to ask for a few mugs, especially when they've volunteered it, but no, don't go collecting for the sake of collecting. At the very least pick out the mugs you want to use, and give some sort of feedback/value to the creator as to why you want to use it (e.g. "I really like X/Y/Z in this mug and think it would be a great fit for antagonist #5 in my hack), and maybe they'll be happier to share it.

You already posted a request thread, and Ghast's working on a CreativeCommons resource, so unless there's specific mugs you want to use from someone, leave it at that and don't cold request people's entire libraries. I know you've only done this once and sorry I'm being quick about it, this is just a sensitive thing after a particular user has done this way too often.

Edited by Lenh

Just nipping at this habit before it proliferates: it's rude to ask for sprites wholesale from multiple people (i.e. hoarding) when you're spamming multiple threads / PMs to do it. Yes, sometimes it's okay to ask for a few mugs, especially when they've volunteered it, but no, don't go collecting for the sake of collecting. At the very least pick out the mugs you want to use, and give some sort of feedback/value to the creator as to why you want to use it (e.g. "I really like X/Y/Z in this mug and think it would be a great fit for antagonist #5 in my hack), and maybe they'll be happier to share it.

You already posted a request thread, and Ghast's working on a CreativeCommons resource, so unless there's specific mugs you want to use from someone, leave it at that and don't cold request people's entire libraries. I know you've only done this once and sorry I'm being quick about it, this is just a sensitive thing after a particular user has done this way too often.

This, 100% this.

Nestled in his first post, at the very end where Bly's really old work is, states that some of them (the older ones) are free-to-use, but ask first (probably with which specific ones you want to use).

Uhh yeah, so asking one time on one post if I can use a couple portraits and posting ONE topic about it isn't even close to "collecting for the sake of collecting" he is the only person I have ever asked to the portraits of, my thread was purely if someone wanted to donate a portrait to my hack for credit and a custom character. I think you are over reacting a bit. Just because some other asshole asks people constantly for things doesn't mean you should get touchy with me, I was asking innocently because I think they're really nice. Also I probably sound really aggressive, (I'm not trying to)

(Sorry Bly, I'm gonna digress some more.)
Durandal, you don't seem to think you're at fault for your action, so I'll clarify it for you. It's more that you figuratively pointed at the whole first post (which has a little over 40 mugs) and said:

This is literally the only thing you've said to him on this thread and it's so syntactically passive you've offered nothing constructive to the artist and nothing about your reasoning, but manages to request forfeiture of everything to the most free degree possible in his collective gallery. It's a terrible exchange and disrespectful on multiple levels. Were you really planning on using everything or did you simply point to it all because you were too lazy to specify what you really wanted?

Like I said before, you should have done this:

pick out the mugs you want to use, and give some sort of feedback/value to the creator as to why you want to use it (e.g. "I really like X/Y/Z in this mug and think it would be a great fit for antagonist #5 in my hack), and maybe they'll be happier to share it.

if you wanted to be seen as less of a panhandler who just wanted to have access to the option of using the material.

From my perspective, so far, you've put a lot of words into and taken people's time for gathering resources. New people seem to always want to start their first-time projects that way, trying to see how much they can get for free before trying to create on their own. The sooner you get out of the begging/collecting phase and start putting forth your own effort towards building something, the more valuable you'll be seen and more willing people will be to help out. I've said what I meant to say to you (and admittedly used you as an example), so I'll stop making any further touchy statements with you on this subject.

WOW I SAW THE THREAD BUT MY LAPTOP DIED BUT I REVIVED IT SO:
---

nice map

i can really tell you've improved your sprite work. Good job!

Thanks~

only problem i have at first glance is that the singular door looks like its melted into the wall, and it produces an odd effect. id suggest using a singular door tile instead of the middle section for the three tile wide door, but eh.

i will fix this someday whenever my laptop feels like not breaking for 1 hour before starting properly ;~;

-snip-

-snip

...sorry, Durandul, if you could pm me your work on your hack so far, I'd be happy to, but otherwise I'd rather not. Thanks, Lenh, btw.

The random throne is kinda throwing me off, but it looks like a good start! lol

tbh i have no idea what my reasoning to include that even was but w/e

xwoFCVP.pnglIKs71A.png

E: was not going to post but someone liked it

sypYFWl.png

Edited by Bky

I'm not really feeling the throne either, since it doesn't really make any sense.

The same goes for the planks coming off the ships. This is due to the break you have halfway down all the planks. The break doesn't make any sense, because that implies it's two planks to get from the ship to land. But, that doesn't work, since there's nothing to hold the planks up in the middle. Better to make them all single long planks instead.

There's not much to say about the other village or snow maps, except the village roads and snow mountains are rather blocky.

Fairly clean, otherwise. A plus in my book.

So, fixed the throne and planks:

x2ms6wm.png

and a new map:

TAKQVLr.png

I feel like there might be too many forests?

(meanwhile i lost the map file for my village map so i need to go use the converter now >.>)

i feel like you should put mapping in the topic title, since it's art but different than spriting (unless you made your own tiles)

i think that new map has a bunch of thickets, not forests. i think flying people are the only ones who can cross over them so....if we start on the left side of the map we'll be stuck! lol

(Sorry Bly, I'm gonna digress some more.)
Durandal, you don't seem to think you're at fault for your action, so I'll clarify it for you. It's more that you figuratively pointed at the whole first post (which has a little over 40 mugs) and said:

This is literally the only thing you've said to him on this thread and it's so syntactically passive you've offered nothing constructive to the artist and nothing about your reasoning, but manages to request forfeiture of everything to the most free degree possible in his collective gallery. It's a terrible exchange and disrespectful on multiple levels. Were you really planning on using everything or did you simply point to it all because you were too lazy to specify what you really wanted?

Like I said before, you should have done this:

if you wanted to be seen as less of a panhandler who just wanted to have access to the option of using the material.

From my perspective, so far, you've put a lot of words into and taken people's time for gathering resources. New people seem to always want to start their first-time projects that way, trying to see how much they can get for free before trying to create on their own. The sooner you get out of the begging/collecting phase and start putting forth your own effort towards building something, the more valuable you'll be seen and more willing people will be to help out. I've said what I meant to say to you (and admittedly used you as an example), so I'll stop making any further touchy statements with you on this subject.

Yeah, Lenh you should calm down, why is everyone so defensive on here, I literally just see people cry about dumb shit on here 24/7. "wahhhh you didn't detail every single aspect of your post to perfection so I am going to cry about it!" And I only wanted to use one, the very first one, the girl with the blue hair, I need a blue haired female sage. And Bky I will pm it to you.

Soo I'm just pointing out things I think look off/weird map by map, but all of them looks really cool overall.

mcFTk6u.png

So one thing I think looks kinda off in this map is the transition from light/shallow water to dark/deep water, there are 4 tiles at the bottom of the castle water tiles that have like one corner with dark water and the rest with light water that makes the transition looks more fluid IMO. http://i.imgur.com/mcFTk6u.png

Other than that there are some small things like the left blue chest looks kinda off without a shadow from the pillar but I don't think you can fix. The different floor tile layouts are really cool.

m3bCA41.png

This map, although IMO much more realistic than most other FE castle maps, looks kinda empty, especially the rooms on the left. I don't see anything actually wrong with it, though some of the transitions between wall tiles looks off, and something about the... caps I guess for the pillar on the right middle room looks off to me, maybe try the square one?

SOaXuex.png

This map I really like, I'd never thought about doing this: http://gyazo.com/436939e08d046a69297de1a4fb29f054
before, I think it looks really cool.
On thing that is off is these two peaks that don't really have anything connecting them on the upper rightish part of the map: http://gyazo.com/e2d443dc36ea5dfd26b7d6f25cbc972a

x2ms6wm.pngsypYFWl.png

My only real problem with these two maps is the fact that the... brick road(?) tiles is spammed I think? I can't really tell (since they all actually use the same to me, if that's the case please ignore this line) but there's no broken road tiles anywhere, maybe try adding some of those to have variety?

Other than that the only thing that stands out is the waterfall on the right of the second map, it might just be me but I don't think that there could be a waterfall there based on how the water is lower than the cliffs? I might be wrong so someone should probably confirm this. Oh and the same thing as the first map regarding the "transition" water tiles.

TAKQVLr.png

It looks pretty cool to me, but yeah I'm pretty sure you're using thickets not forests XD. The mountain has a few errors in the transition between light peaks and dark peaks, try using an intermediate tile next time, they should be right next to the normal ones.

Oh and there's a backwards cliff on the right of the map, next to the village.

Obviously I don't expect you to go and fix all of these just wanted to point them out.

Edited by Matt Snow