Tower of Demons (OoC)

Cancer Lancer

Tower of Demons

Has civilization crumpled long ago? Are we in a limbo, beyond the border of life and death? Why is there nothing, but a thick, suffocating fog, for miles in the horizon? What of my past… My memories? Why do I recall nothing, but a drive… A primal, instinctive drive. Ahead of me lies the last bastion of what was once humanity. A tower, that climbs far above the heavens. A tower, decayed by things far more sinister than age. A tower that resonates evil beyond imagining. A tower that welcomed us, and our twisted desires. After all, the tower promised to our souls, “Come. We will make all your wishes come true.” And so, we step forth, with nothing more than that promise, into the Tower of Demons.

Tower of Demons will be an RP with a focus on mystery, suspense, and cruelty, with a lot of influence from the Souls games. It will be twisted and unimaginably punishing. Every post will count, and your life will always be on the line. How better to feel accomplished, but to overcome true evil and challenge? It will be a limited RP; only 7 players will be accepted.

Tower of Demons will test a new RP engine of mine, which functions as a fusion of both Fire Emblem and Souls mechanics. Essentially, it will work like this…

There will be 7 stats that you can level up; these are Strength (Str), Mind (Mnd), Skill (Skl), Initiative (Ini), Adaptability (Adp), Endurance (End), and Willpower (Wil). These stats will function as follows…

• Str (Affects scaling and weight capacity)
  • Mnd (Affects scaling and EP)
  • Skl (Affects scaling, Hit, and Crit)
  • Ini (Affects AS and EP regeneration)
  • Adp (Affects Agi, Avoidability, and HP)
  • End (Affects scaling, HP, and EP)
  • Wil (Affects scaling, HP, and EP)

Every level up, you will gain 3 stat points that you can spend into any of these 7 stats. However, you are not allowed to increase a stat by more than 1 point per level (for example, you cannot increase Str from 10 to 12 in one level up; however it can be achieved in 2 level ups). These stats will affect your overall combat statistics, which are as follows.

• HP: Hit Points. At 0 or below, you die.
  • EP: Energy Points. How much reserve you have to perform an action. Every normal attack you do takes EP dependent on your weapon’s wt. Every skill used will take EP dependent on the skill cost, in addition to your weapon’s wt. You can spend more EP than just that in a turn to augment your actions, however, by simply making good posts.
  • Attack (Atk): How much damage you deal, and used to calculate skills. Affected by the damage type of your weapon. Catalysts don’t deal any damage without a skill to utilize them.
  • Hit Rate (Hit): Your accuracy. Derp.
  • Critical Rate (Crit): Your chance to deal double damage.
  • Defense (Def): Decreases the physical damage you take.
  • Resistance (Res): Decreases the magical damage you take.
  • Avoid (Avo): Your chance to avoid damage. Derp.
  • Attack Speed (AS): Your chance to attack first in an engagement, and your ability to perform multiple attacks in an engagement. *
  • Agility (Agi): Your ability to deny your opponent of multiple attacks in an engagement, and your ability to decrease your opponent’s critical hit rate.

*Having a higher Attack Speed than your target does not guarantee that you will attack first, it just increases your chances. It is also possible do more than two attacks per engagement on the target, unlike in Fire Emblem. However, the ability to perform a double attack is no longer based on a fixed stat of 4 over the enemy; It is instead 4 AS higher than your target’s Agi until your target has 20+ Agi. At that point, you need a 20% AS advantage over the target’s Agi to double them. Every additional 20% advantage grants you another attack.

This RP will not only be dependent on stats and dice rolls, however, thus the lack of a move stat or grids. This will be a fusion of classical forum post your action RP, in addition to relying on your characters’ stats. This means that your stats and rolls do not calculate a solid result; this is also dependent on your post. This also means that you are able to perform more skills than just the ones listed, too, so long as you make a plausible post to back it. EP will be taken in that situation depending on the post.

You will die in this RP. Over, and over, again. I won’t hold your hand as GM; rather, I’m looking forward to the opportunity to murder you all for the smallest of mistakes. But that’s okay, because there will be respawn. However, on each death, you will be more and more “dead.” That means that on each death, your maximum HP will decrease by 10%, and multiple deaths will accumulate this value, upwards to a value of 50%. Your Atk will also increase by a value of 5% per death. However, you can revive after defeating certain enemies or during special events, restoring this value to default.

There will be only 7 player slots allotted in this RP. Each player may select a class from the list below to RP as, however no 2 players in this RP may select the same class. This means that of our 7 players, one of each role must be taken by an RPer.

The “Ascetic”

A swordsman from a faraway land. Though unparalleled in his exotic swordplay, his(her) movements tell an epic of tragedy that his(her) words could never.

Starting Stats: Level 11

HP: 41 EP: 40 Str: 10 Mnd: 3 Skl: 16 Ini: 12 Adp: 7 End: 7 Wil: 10

Starting Skill: Quickdraw (Only usable at the the start of a battle, or until the sword is sheathed again; Guarantees first hit and deals 1.5x damage. Only usable with certain weapons. - 5 EP)

Starting Equipment:

E - Iaito (Type: Physical Mt: 9 + (0.25 Str + 0.75 Skl) Hit: 80 Crit: 5 Wt: 6 Bonus Effect: Quickdraw deals 1.3x more damage.)

(Reach: Medium, Durability: Below Average)

E - Ascetic Set (Def: 4 + (0.75 End) Res: 2 + (0.75 Wil) Wt: 3)

Overall:

Atk: 23 Hit: 112 Crit: 13

Def: 9 Res: 10 Avoid: 14

AS: 12 Agi: 7

The “Dancer”

A practitioner of the sword whose dance of blades leaves a bewildering mirage. His(her) dance tells a majestic and powerful story, but how much of it is true and how much is but an illusion?

HP: 42 EP: 32 Str: 8 Mnd: 9 Skl: 12 Ini: 12 Adp: 15 End: 7 Wil: 3

Starting Skill: Mirage Dance (Follow up attacks deal bonus +1 damage from the last attack within a 3 turn timeframe)

Starting Equipment:

E - Soul Rapier (Type: Physical/Magic Mt: 7 + (0.25 Str + 0.5 Mnd + 0.5 Skl) Hit: 90 Crit: 10 Wt: 5 Bonus Effect: Damage calculated from target’s weakest defense stat)

(Reach: Long, Durability: Below Average)

E - Chain Silks (Def: 3 + (0.5 End) Res: 4 + (0.5 Mnd + 0.25 Wil) Wt: 2)

E - Dancer’s Brace (Wt: 1 +1 Ini +1 Adp)

Overall:

Atk: 19 Hit: 114 Crit: 16

Def: 6 Res: 8 Avoid: 32

AS: 13 Agi: 16

The “Predator”

A man(woman) hardened by the wilderness and tempered by the beasts, so much so that he(she) has become the embodiment of one himself(herself). What madness the Predator is consumed with, is kept in check by an extraordinary will to survive.

Starting Stats: Level 13

HP: 56 EP: 40 Str: 16 Mnd: 1 Skl: 8 Ini: 13 Adp: 12 End: 13 Wil: 8

Starting Skill: Hunter Rush (Dash at a significant speed towards a target to close the distance. Can be followed up with an attack or another skill – 5 EP)

Starting Equipment:

E - Heavy Spear (Type: Physical Mt: 10 + (0.75 Str + 0.25 Dex) Hit: 80 Crit: 0 Wt: 10 Bonus Effect: Negate target base armor def)

(Reach: Long, Durability: High)

E - Highlander Plates (Def: 5 + (0.75 End) Res: +2 + (0.25 Mnd + 0.5 Wil) Wt: 4)

Overall:

Atk: 24 Hit: 96 Crit: 4

Def: 14 Res: 6 Avoid: 24

AS: 13 Agi: 12

The “Zealot”

A man(woman) of great dedication to a cause he/she can no longer remember. Even though he(she) cannot remember his(her) cause, the Zealot continues to stride forward with an iron resolve as a wall of his(her) faith.

Starting Stats: Level 12

HP: 62 EP: 60 Str: 13 Mnd: 6 Skl: 9 Ini: 4 Adp: 6 End: 16 Wil: 14

Starting Skill: Shield Proficiency (Decrease Shield weight by 3)

Starting Equipment:

E - Morning Star: (Type: Physical Mt: 8 + (1.0 Str) Hit: 75 Crit: 5 Wt: 7 Bonus Effect: Negate target base armor def)

(Reach: Below Average, Durability: High)

E - Iron Shield: (Avoid: +10 Adp: +3 Wt: 3)

E - Fluted Plate Set (Def: 6 + (0.75 End) Res: 3 + (0.25 Mnd + 0.5 Wil) Wt: 5)

Overall:

Atk: 21 Hit: 93 Crit: 9

Def: 18 Res: 11 Avoid: 28

AS: 4 Agi: 9

The “Seeker”

What was once a quest for knowledge led the Seeker to the Tower. Now, without a past to return to, he(she) can only move forward, and hope that the knowledge gained can compensate for the humanity lost.

Starting Stats: Level 10

HP: 34 EP: 45 Str: 5 Mnd: 15 Skl: 13 Ini: 9 Adp: 9 End: 4 Wil: 7

Starting Skill: Soul Arrow (Launch a <soul> magical attack for (1.0 Atk) with a compatible tome or staff catalyst. Long range. – 5 EP)

Starting Equipment:

E - Seeker’s Tome (Type: Catalyst Mt: 4 + (1.0 Mnd) Hit: 90 Crit: 0 Wt: 2)

(Reach: Minimum, Durability: Average)

E - Scholar’s Robes (Def: 1 + (0.5 End) Res: 3 + (0.25 Mnd + 0.5 Wil Bonus: + 2 Mnd)

Dagger (Type: Physical Mt: 4 + (0.25 Str + 0.5 Skl + 0.5 Ini) Hit: 95 Crit: 10 Wt: 3 Bonus Effect: Critical hits deal 1.5x more damage)

(Reach: Very short, Durability: Average)

Overall:

Atk: 21 Hit: 116 Crit: 6 (Seeker’s Tome) Atk: 15 Hit: 121 Crit: 16 (Dagger)

Def: 3 Res: 9 Avo: 18

AS: 9 Agi: 9

The “Atoner”

Seeking atonement for the grave sins of his(her) past, the Atoner has given up everything that once meant anything, in a desperate search for a way to be forgiven.

Starting Stats: Level 12

HP: 58 EP: 62 Str: 9 Mnd: 8 Skl: 7 Ini: 11 Adp: 11 End: 10 Wil: 17

Starting Skill: Heal (Heal a target equal to (1.0 Atk) <light> with a compatible ring or chime catalyst. Cannot miss. Short range. – 12 EP)

Starting Equipment:

E – Broadsword (Type: Physical Mt: 8 + (0.75 Str + 0.25 Dex) Hit: 85 Crit: 0 Wt: 5)

(Reach: Medium, Durability: Medium)

E - Blessed Chainmail (Def: 5 + (0.5 End) Res: 4 + (0.75 Wil) Wt: 3)

Ring of Vows (Type: Catalyst Mt: 6 + (0.25 Mnd + 0.75 Wil) Hit: 95 Crit: 0 Wt: 3)

(Reach: Minimum, Durability: Very high)

Overall:

Atk: 15 Hit: 99 Crit: 3 (Broadsword) Atk: 20 Hit: 109 Crit: 3 (Ring of Vows)

Def: 10 Res: 16 Avo: 22

AS: 11 Agi: 11

The “Corrupter”

A twisted soul seeking the power of Demons. Without fear of death, and the will to overcome and master the ceaseless darkness, the Corrupter will stop at nothing to gain the power that is beyond human imagination.

HP: 37 EP: 54 Str: 6 Mnd: 13 Skl: 10 Ini: 14 Adp: 4 End: 5 Wil: 13

Starting Skill: Corruption Orb(Launch a <dark> magical attack for (1.0 Atk) with a compatible chime or ring catalyst. Decreases will of target by (0.25 Atk). Long range. Effect does not stack– 9 EP)

Starting Equipment:

Cursed Chime (Type: Catalyst Mt: 6 + (1.25 lowest Mnd/Wil) Hit: 85 Crit: 0 Wt: 4)

Witch Robes (Def: 2 + (0.5 end) Res: 5 + (0.75 lowest Mnd/Wil) Wt: 2 Bonus: + 1 Atk if equipped with Catalyst)

Overall:

Atk: 23 Hit: 105 Crit: 5

Def: 4 Res: 14 Avo: 8

AS: 14 Agi: 4

On your character creation, you are asked to do it in this format.

Class:

Character name (Gender):

Appearance: [Links are acceptable]

Personality:

No other details are allowed, and no backstories will be accepted. Mostly because the characters you will be role playing have no memories of their past of any sort; only a drive and desires. However, if you have a backstory that you would like me to explore during the campaign, then send me a PM, and I will see if I can fit that backstory into the RP. But I won’t tell you whether I will or not if you do, so that you still have no idea what you’re going to face. Most likely, I’ll take elements I like, and twist them beyond recognition so I can enjoy your salty tears as I murder you with relentless mooks stronger than yourselves.

Player List:

• Nodney – Wick the Ascetic
  • Liss - Liss the Dance
  • Eclipse - Teala the Predator
  • Cero - Aster the Zealot
  • Shamison - Cyril the Atoner
  • Zephyr - Phaedrus the Seeker
  • Toogee - Calypso the Corrupter

RP has started, and signups are now closed. Thanks for your interest, everyone! Let the adventure begin :Louise:

Here is the IC thread.

Edited by Cancer Lancer

I always wondered if I joined a roleplay like this and played paranoid like I did in Dunegeons and Dragons.

(I check the ceiling, I check the floor for traps, spend time devising ambushes and traps and spends extensive time making sure things are not trapped.)

well I am to busy to join sadly. I like Dark Souls, Dungeons and Dragons and Fire Emblem too. What a pity.

Hopefully others will join!

Hopefully so... Only time will tell at this point hmmmhmm... :<

I'm really tight on time as well, but I just had this unhealthy urge to make an RP and run it recently. It wouldn't get off my mind, so this was the result.

Anyhow, 1 spot is taken right now; those who are interested should hurry up and take a class they want before someone else nabs it.

Class: Ascetic

Character name (Gender): "Wick" (He has renounced his former name) , Male

Appearance: [Links are acceptable] Wick has deep red hair, which he wears swept and spiked to the side of his face. In contrast are his unnaturally bright sky-blue eyes. His clothes consist of a baggy tunic and baggy leggings. The tunic is orange with red swirled patterns all over; it is tucked under his belt. The belt is used to carry his weapons and packs holding his provisions, it is a dark-brown in color. The leggings are black, and the bottoms are tucked into Wick's boots which are also black.

HIs armor: http://darksouls2.wdfiles.com/local--files/_armor/alonne-s-set.jpg

Personality: Wick has a cold personality, having very little consiation for others. HIs blade is his only friend. He also very "straight to the point", saying what is on his mind even if to everyone else the time isn't appropriate.

Edited by Nodney the Clone

I. . .need a break. . .

Class: Predator

Name: Teala (Male)

Appearance: About 6', deeply tanned, coarse shoulder-length black hair, narrow red eyes. Medium, muscular frame, may injure self when attempting to smile.

Personality: Mostly keeps to himself, but if he has something to say, it's a good idea to listen. Watches everything from the important to the mundane. Especially the mundane. Does not pity fools; impales them instead. Not evil, just. . .startlingly socially inept.

Thanks eclipse!

3 spots left.

Also, development is going well. Mooks have been developed, along with 3 of the Demons. General atmosphere and campaign pathing is also ready.

The Demon fights are going to be incredibly difficult (far more so than the skirmishes leading to), but so worth and incredibly rewarding. Don't expect them to be anything close to Fire Emblem's bosses; do that and total party kill will be guaranteed.

I'm really excited to bring Tower of Demons to life.

Class: Zealot

Character name (Gender): Aster (male)

Appearance: http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130112201125/magi/images/thumb/9/92/Kouen_Ren.png/270px-Kouen_Ren.png

Personality: Calm and serious, but also enjoys conflict and power. He also has an intellectual side.

Edited by Cero

dasjdklasjdklasjdkl

Come on 2 more slots and we can get started! This wait is killing me!

Also, I should have mentioned I have pretty good experiencing GM'ing other RP's in the past; I've pulled very successful RP's on multiple sites, like TEB and Beast's Lair, among others. SO DON'T WORRY ABOUT THIS RP POTENTIALLY BEING NOOBY, IT'LL ROCK MATES. BELIEVE IT.

(Seriously I was able to get an RP to hit 9 pages on its first day on a small site like TEB. No small feat, yo. SO TRUST ME AND SIGN UP DAMN IT.)

Edited by Cancer Lancer

I'd like to see this get off the ground, but I don't think I have the time to devote to making quality posts on a regular basis. Weekends at best.

So what's up with the stat system? I see some categories affect others, but not in what way (increase or decrease). Ex: Str (Affects scaling and weight capacity). Is that something we need to worry about now?

On death: How long does it take to be "revived"? What happens if the entire party is wiped out?

Lastly, I think the Corruptor is missing an AS category. Unless I missed something

Quality posts aren't necessary on a consistent basis for players outside of the GM (I have my work cut out for myself hahah...). It's just for special actions, and for when situations get really intense. But that doesn't mean one should take it easy and make crap simple posts either! That's a good way to die lol.

As for stats, essentially, unlike in Fire Emblem where everything was affected by Str and Mag for damage, damage calculation is not exclusive to those two; different weapons are affected by different stats; for example, Japanese sword based weapons (such as Iaito) will have a small Str scaling while having a much higher Skl scaling for its damage rating, whereas heavy weapons like hammers take their damage scaling primarily from Str. Meanwhile, for magic, depending on the type of catalyst, scaling is different too. Healing and light based magic is almost exclusive to rings, which rely more on Wil than Mnd, keeping it the exclusive of Atoner, whereas most elemental and neutral based magic, which relies mostly on Mnd, is exclusive to Tomes / Staves.

This is a different way of locking characters to certain classes of weapons; rather than differentiating by weapon levels, characters are simply much more effective using certain classes of weapons as compared to others, in part due to the high starting discrepancy of stat distribution and also, due to the challenge of the RP it will be difficult to go a completely different path from the one you are set from your base. Raising stats will only give positive scaling or no scaling at all; nothing is going to scale inversely from a stat cause that's just counter productive...

Revival usually takes place after a battle or engagement; if you died in a skirmish, expect to revive once either the current skirmish is over, or when everyone died to the skirmish. Same can be said for the Demon fights.

Also, thanks for pointing out my typo on Corrupter. I fixed it now; base AS is 14.

Edited by Cancer Lancer

I'm going to be nice :'D.

Class: Seeker

Name: Phaedrus

Appearance: Long white bangs, nearly covers right eye with a left part with a slightly dyed blue tint on the bang nearly covering eyes. Wears light clothing covered with a purple robe showing nobility that goes down to his knee. He is about 5'7 in height with the appearance of a young-to-mid teen. He has piercing blue eyes and pale skin.

Personality: Intelligent, cool and collected. In midst of interest he will go so far to nearly lose his life. He can sometimes come off as arrogant, and sophisticated. He is quite anti-social. Though he is willing to show off his intellectual prowess and make others feel inferior to him.

[spoiler=Extra Stuff and back story]

Skills: Amazing analysis, problem solving, observation and deduction skills.

Backstory: Prior to becoming his father's heir he found the responsibilities put forth into being a powerful noble way too pressuring for his demands so on the day of his coronation he flees. He finds himself learning many new tricks disguised with the new name Phaedrus. Soon forgetting his previous life and to fill his mental capacity gets rid of anything humane just to fill his own needs and looking for more to aid him. A man tells him of a tower that can fulfill what he seeks, what he wants, everything. He is tempted and interested by this. This man shows no type of sign of being a "liar" from what he can deduct. He sets forth to the Tower of Demons to fulfill his hunger of knowledge.

Edited by Zephyr

Well, let's see what happens:

Class: Corruptor

Character name (Gender): Calypso (female)

Appearance: Calypso_zpsc65b1086.png

Attire: Her purple hood matches the tight leather dress she adorns. The skirt goes halfway down her thighs, while her matching boots go up to her knees.

Personality: Calypso is ruthless when it comes to getting what she wants: dominion over the darkness within the tower. She's open to all manner of tactics to get to that goal. If teamwork is called for, she'll do her part (and bark at others to do the same). If the situation calls to sacrifice her teammates for victory, the witch will simply step over their bodies and finish off the fiends. To her, death is only another path to strength, especially in a place like this.

Edited by Toogee

Cool mates. You were both accepted, and sign ups are now closed.

The IC has begun. Here is the thread: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=49891

I'm tempted to make a log for you guys to reference of data that you'll find along the quest, like weapon stats and whatnot as well as enemy data.

Edit: The first post has been edited to include you two, since you guys managed to join right before any real action picked up. Happy hunting :Louise:

Edited by Cancer Lancer

I'm tempted to make a log for you guys to reference of data that you'll find along the quest, like weapon stats and whatnot as well as enemy data.

Might come in handy for strategy. Unless there will be visual clues for defeating bosses and such.

The guards are about to go ham, mates.

Gave you guys like a day to pre-emptive and make the engagements, but tonight when I'm finished classes they're going to be the ones doing the engaging, and all hell's going to rain loose ;)

Aka finish up your posts by tonight, or else you might just end up on the wrong side of a halberd shaft :Louise:

Edited by Cancer Lancer

Good job mates, the first wave was handled relatively well. Wick, Liss, and Calypso have all levelled up. Congratulations.

You can tell me how you'd like to spend your level points either in this thread, or the main thread. Either is fine with me.