Carlyle at my characters current levels seems impossible

The only one that I believe that can match him is a Level 7 Seth (pretty much anyone else will either be killed instantly or killed in his next turn). I even had Eirika close by (since they have A rank with each other), and a healer just out of range that he could go to when low on health. But even with those advantages, Seth can't seem to pull off a win. And I am not looking forward to go through the entire level again.

At this point, I'm ready to just play the second file (where I have a pre-picked list of characters), and delete this one.

Carlyle is annoying to hit, but at 2 range, he can do very little to you - his crit drops to 0 and his damage output is slashed considerably (magic swords use STR/2). At the very worst, let him break his Wind Blade on your tankier units like Saleh, and then just attack with everything you have. Most likely, you have enough people who can hurt him with Javelins, bows and tomes at 1-2 range to kill him quickly. Even if you don't have promoted units, you can likely still pull this off (I did on a no promotion run, so it's very much possible).

Carlyle was the name of a FE boss? I'm sure he'd do a better job of coaching the Leafs than the current Carlyle...

t9GaQTz.gif

Boss of Chapter 14 on Eirika's Route. He's pretty lame as a character, and annoying as a boss (Swordmaster on a throne). Basically imagine Lloyd on Cog of Destiny if he wasn't nearly as cool.