Gamewhorde

Hey there,

As a total nub to hacking, I'm pretty sure this is a really stupid question. Anyways, assuming that there are multiple hacking tools (Nightmare, FEXP), which is the best way for me to want to kill myself program to start with? I've heard terrible great things about Nightmare, not so much about FEXP though.

I'd like to get into FE7 hacks, and already have Nightmare (original) and GBA downloaded.

xoxo

Gamewhorde

FEXP is not a hacking tool, it's an engine with which you can create a standalone game.

If you're particularly interested in hacking, though, I would recommend that you download any tool you can find, since we have yet to compile a "master tool" that can do everything (theoretically nightmare can do everything since it's a hex editor but i wouldn't recommend trying it unless you're extremely savvy)

Edited by CT075

Hey there,

As a total nub to hacking, I'm pretty sure this is a really stupid question. Anyways, assuming that there are multiple hacking tools (Nightmare, FEXP), which is the best way for me to want to kill myself program to start with? I've heard terrible great things about Nightmare, not so much about FEXP though.

I'd like to get into FE7 hacks, and already have Nightmare (original) and GBA downloaded.

xoxo

Gamewhorde

I'd upgrade to Nightmare Two if I were you, It's a bit easier to use and there's more entries that have been named.

I'd also get FEditor if you're looking to add, replace, or modify animations.

You can get both here following this Link.

Nightmare 2 is /not/ easier to use than NM1. It has some great features and not having to press enter/ctrl+S every couple of edits is nice, as well as the ability to type a hex value into a namespace to jump to that hex value (For example when assigning animation data like setting what animations a class uses) but otherwise, it's clunkier and more annoying. It would be a -lot- better if the modules for NM1 were actually converted to NM2's format and if some annoying glitches with NM2 were fixed. For example, if you have multiple modules loaded in NM2, and your NM2 window is off to the side of the screen, changing from one module to another jerks NM2 back into the center of your screen every damn time, which gets annoying since editing data means jumping around modules.

I could go on, but currently NM2 is not the far superior tool that it was supposed to be. It has some better features, but it has some annoying bugs.

@Klok Yeah, I downloaded NM2 as well, but can't even figure out how to open the damn thing, let alone use it. But by the sound of it, I wouldn't have the best time using it anyways.

@CT I'm going over the Ultimate Tutorial by Blazer praise be upon him & it's pretty intimidating, but I think it's for nightmare. For a noob like myself, would you reccomend FEXP or Nightmare? I don't mind using the more difficult of the two, as I don't want to do some over-the-top crazy shiz for my first couple of practice hacks and such.

What is the difference between making a hack with Nightmare or making a game using FEXP?

Making a game with FEXP has a lot of hurdles. For one thing, it's incomplete. For another, excluding my guide, it has very little documentation and extremely little other work to go on. Plus, nobody's using it really so if you have questions, it's pretty much just wing it and figure it out by yourself.

Yeaaaaaah I'm not exactly the most "tech savvy" person out there, so I'll just dig in and use Nightmare.

For some beginner/practice hacks that would only really be 1 map/chapter, what tools would you guys recommend I use?