A Brief History of the 20th Century: An Alternate timeline

blah the Prussian

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. If we choose a real person in history, will we have to guess their actions based on what we are taught about them? (I want to be Joseph Kennedy, btw.)

For Kennedy I was never planning t o have that family play a big role so do whatever you want with him, basically.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 7

Decolonization in Africa, or the Adventures of Young Donald Trump

Since the rise of Hendrik Voerward in South Africa and the passing of the Apartheid laws, South Africa had been in a state of civil war. The war had started in 1948 when Voerward attempted to forcibly integrate South Africa’s autonomous African Kingdoms into the nation. This led to said Kingdoms rising against the Apartheid regime in revolt. They were led by the charismatic King Rolihlahla Mandela, who vowed that the war would continue until Apartheid fell.

Voerward used this rebellion very much to his advantage. He would launch into furious tirades at Nationalist rallies declaring that South Africa was the last bastion of the White Race (the Germans, Russians, and Americans, of course, were all race traitors). Africans, he declared, were made by God to be nothing more than slaves to the White Race. Thus, the rebels were quite literally Satanists.

South Africa, as the only Fascist state left in the world (openly Fascist, anyway; it could be argue that the Baathists and Turanians were as well) was a pariah. Neither the Monarchists nor the Communists had anything to do with them. The South Africans, however, had leverage in the form of a nuclear bomb that had been brought in by a French exile. Neither power bloc was willing to risk one of their cities to take down South Africa. As such, South Africa continued without foreign intervention for a little while longer.

The rebellion, meanwhile, remained essentially a guerrilla war. The native rebels knew the layout of the land and outnumbered government forces, but they also were outgunned; whenever government forces showed up in force, the rebels were beaten easily. The war quickly turned ugly as the South African army began wiping villages off the map to cleanse regions of guerrilla activity. In response, Mandela’s forces began massacring Boer settlers in the savannah. By 1955, essentially all Boer settlers had fled into the cities.

The rebels also got a major boost to their power in 1955. By 1954, the greater European economy, especially the German economy, had finally recovered completely from the Second World War. In 1955, the outspokenly anti racist war hero Erwin Rommel was elected as Chancellor of Germany. Rommel had developed an affinity for Africa after serving there, and one of the platforms he ran on was the destruction of the Apartheid regime. As such, in early 1955, Rommel authorized modern weapons and vehicles being shipped to the rebels.

Rolihlahla would put these supplies to excellent use throughout the late 1950s and early 1960s. South African armies were actually occasionally meeting with defeat now. In the summer 1965, rebel forces assaulted Soweto, a majority black city. With their modern equipment, they took it after weeks of intense street fighting. The war in South Africa appeared to have reached a turning point.

Then Voerward panicked. He used South Africa’s only atomic bomb on June 3, 1965 to destroy Soweto and everyone in it. A massive amount of rebel soldiers and civilians, both Black and White, died in the blast. In the short term, Voerward had won a decisive victory. In the long term, he had doomed Apartheid.

The UN convened later that week to discuss the crisis. There was very little doubt as to what to do. The new German Chancellor Konrad von Richtofen was in complete agreement with Russian PM Bronislav and Premier Long. For the first time since WWII, the Russian Empire, the German Empire, and the USSA entered a war as allies.

At around this time, Donald Trump, a 20 year old resident of New York, was in the army. Trump, like any good American kid, spent every day filled with gratitude that Comrade Long was looking out for America. Trump, though, actively admired Long, using the dictator as his role model. He absolutely despised those traitorous Sons of Liberty led by that snake Martin Luther King, Jr., and he wanted to fight them, dammit! First, though, he was going to fight some South Africans. That suited Trump just fine.

The Royal Namibian Army launched its initial assault into South Africa on August 1 of that year. The South African army was sent reeling by the assault, and the north of the country fell by the end of the month. August 16 saw the American Red Army, with Trump in tow, land in the south of the country. By October 4, Voerward was dead, and all major cities had been taken by the Allies, the northern territories under the rule of Mandela’s forces and the southern area under Communist control.

Thus, Capitalists and Communists decided to do to South Africa what they did best: divide it. The North was made into the Federal Kingdom of South Africa, with each tribe being represented by a King, and with King Rohilahla being the “first among equals”. The South, meanwhile, was the People’s Republic of South Africa. As mentioned before, though, Communism was increasingly unpopular with South Africans, especially with their “hero king” so against it. Thus, a large American occupation force in the area was needed. This occupation force included Trump, now a Sergeant. We’ll return to him in a little while.

Communism, though, had significantly more attraction with Germany’s colonial subjects. The German colonial administration in Africa was already essentially dead and buried after WWII, and it was hanging on by a thread. Opposition to German rule quickly took the form of Communism. Although in some areas where Germany ruled through native Kings Communism met with little success, in others, such as German Cameroon, and especially in the German Congo, Communism triumphed. This triumph followed a guerrilla war lasting from 1950 to 1966, which ended in Germany’s full withdrawal from West Africa, the Congo, and Cameroon. These new Communist nations quickly received the blessing of Long.

In response to this, Germany granted full independence to its protectorate Kingdoms in Africa. South Africa, Namibia, and East Africa, then, became independent Kingdoms acting as counterweights to Communism. They were joined by the Empire of Ethiopia. Liberated from Italian occupation in the first months of WWII, Ethiopia was a staunch ally of Germany and Russia, although, being Orthodox, it tended to lean more towards Russia.

Thus, by the mid 60s European rule over Africa had effectively ended. Europe, though, now looked inwards, as a new movement was taking the continent by storm: the Jewish Rights Movement.

I was actually thinking about this: how the atomic bomb, or any kind of powerful weapon intended to be a deterrent can backfire. I gather in the case of RL!Hiroshima, if the bomb didn't actually result in Japan's surrender, then it at least hastened the surrender, partially because of how considerably one-sided the Pacific Theatre was, yet also because of the Japanese collective adamancy in their refusal to surrender until when said destruction came in. (*1) I gather US also had support from the UK (*2) in using the bomb?

On the other hand, I gather one of the reasons for opposing the nuke in AT!South Africa was because of the attack was considered disproportionate? Or was it because of its unexpectedness? Or was it because of influences such as from Erwin Rommel?

*1) There were accounts of suicides/murders within some of the Japanese local community on the onset of Allied occupation, based on the battle code Senjinkun (戦陣訓): one of the quotes were "Never live to experience shame as a prisoner."

*2) Was UK the only other empire that wasn't as scathed as the other major powers, even though even she had Malaysia and Singapore taken over by the Japanese? I also wonder about Russia's stancetowards the bomb too.

Edited by henrymidfields

The nuking of Soweto was an atrocity done by a Fascist government who knew it was fucked and wanted to take as many "inferiors" down with it as possible. The reason why the world invaded was because now South Africa doesn't have the one thing it could really fight back with; the nuke.

Edited by blah the Prussian

*Soweto. Now I want to see the role reversal between Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King fully take place, as one is an enemy of a major state, the other in a position of authority, unlike the RL 1960s.

Oh, MLK isn't a Mandela equivalent. You'll see what he gets up to.

I have no idea how this history fandom works or how you people can know so much, but this looks like a massive amount of work and love for the subject, so as an amateur writer, this is pretty inspiring and neat! Also, I saw my country (Bulgaria), and that's neat, I guess. Good luck!

Edited by Floral Pattern

I have no idea how this history fandom works or how you people can know so much, but this looks like a massive amount of work and love for the subject, so as an amateur writer, this is pretty inspiring and neat! Also, I saw my country (Bulgaria), and that's neat, I guess. Good luck!

Honestly, if you love learning history as much as I do it just sticks in your brain naturally; the brain doesn't have to work to remember something when you want to remember it; thats the best way I can explain it.

Chapter 8

The Levantine War

War. War never changes.

Well, maybe that isn't entirely true. Over the course of human history, ideologies, nation-states, and people have evolved. Reasons for war are perhaps most emblematic of this change. In the age of Alexander the Great and the Romans, conquest was seen as a justifiable reason in and of itself. As the Roman Empire fell and new feudal Kingdoms rose, land claims became the reason for war. With the rise of Islam and the Protestant Reformation, wars increasingly became about religion, as Catholics and Protestants warred many times over for dominance of Europe, and they both lived in fear of the Turk. The coming of the French Revolution brought about a new age of war, as nations marched to war in the name of ideology; first Monarchism vs Republicanism, then Capitalism vs Communism, then Fascism vs Communism vs Monarchism, and finally Monarchism vs Communism.

Some things, though, never change. One of those things is that a primary reason for war is the Holy Land.

This may have been in Marshal Georgy Zhukov’s mind as he stepped off his private jet in Jerusalem, ready to begin a new wave of major Russian involvement in the war. We may never know. What we do know is that in mid 1945 Marshal Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov was ordered by the Russian government to take over the Russian pacification campaign in the Holy Land. The Holy Land had been the dream of every Russian Tsar since Nicholas I. Zhukov would be damned if he lost what Nicholas II had won.

Opposing the Russians were the other two major groups in the Holy Land: Jews and Muslims. Representing the Jews was the Judean People’s Front, who were, as their name somewhat implied, Communist. Led by General Moshe Dayan, they were a massive headache for the Russian army, using guerrilla tactics to great effect. They were joined by the Palestinian Liberation Organization, which was the first real instance of a fundamentalist Islamic terrorist group. Led by Yasser Arafat and supplied by Saudi Arabia, their goal as simple: drive out the Russians, and exterminate the Jews.

All of this was a recipe for one of the ugliest wars in the history of the world. The PLO had an explicitly genocidal goal against both the Christians and the Jews, the Judean People’s Front was de facto genocidal, and the Russians, while by no means genocidal, would resort to atrocities to combat a hostile population.

This was also a war Russia intended to win. Possession of the Holy Land had been the crux of Russia’s foreign policy since Alexander I, and they would use the need to protect oppressed Christian Arabs from Ottoman oppression as a frequent casus belli against the Turks. Being responsible for the loss of the Holy Land was not something that Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Nobokov wanted to do; it would be political suicide. Thus, Zhukov went to the Levant.

The First Levantine War would last from 1945 to 1960. As you can probably tell from it being the FIRST Levantine War, it was by no means an end to said conflict. Russia would deploy a total of 1,000,000 troops to the region over the course of the conflict. At the beginning of the war, the Russians hoped to hold all major cities in the region with 200,000 troops. It quickly became clear, though, that this was an unrealistic goal, as the Russians, spread far too thin, were unable to prevent vast swathes of the countryside from falling into enemy hands.

To combat this problem Zhukov encouraged the training of Christian militias in 1946. This would bring with it its own host of problems, however; the Christian Arabs were difficult for the Russians to control, and often would carry out their own atrocities against Jews and Muslims. This divided the populace of the region in the long term, which was disastrous for Russia’s pacification efforts.

Zhukov was a great general; that can not be called into dispute. He had, after all, utterly crushed the largest army the world had ever known at Novosibirsk. However, he was simply not suited to guerrilla warfare. He was used to a kind of warfare where it was not clear who controlled what land; this was why the Russian effort in the Levant utterly failed. Zhukov’s strategy was to hold the major cities and supply routes, while launching glorified raids against rebel holdouts, killing every enemy soldier in the area, and leaving. This did nothing, though, to win the war: the Russians could not kill every single enemy soldier, they had to hold the territory. This, they were simply unable to accomplish.

The war continued like this for ten years, until 1955. Hundreds of thousands of Arab and Jewish soldiers died to Russian attacks, but the Russians hardly benefitted from any of these victories. Zhukov retired in 1950, and was replaced with Marshal Oleg Konstantinovich. Konstantinovich would essentially continue the tactics of his predecessor.

The two rebel groups, though, did not keep their tactics the same. In 1955 Dayan and Arafat met in secret in the Golan Heights. The Golan Heights agreement would put the Judean People’s Front and the PLO in a formal alliance of cooperation. Before, they had very rarely fought, but they were now officially cooperating.

The effects for Russia were disastrous. Russian forces were now losing battles for the first time. JPF forces managed to capture the town of Eilat in November of 1957. Although it was retaken, the morale blow was immense. Russia was losing the war on the home front, that much was certain. The civilian population was increasingly turning against the war, led by new Kadet firebrand politician Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. Solzhenitsyn would win the 1960 elections to become Prime Minister, and immediately initiated peace negotiations with the JPF and PLO.

The Treaty of Jerusalem, perhaps more than anything else, confirms the immortal words of American dissident Bill Waterson: “A good compromise always makes everyone mad.” The only areas Russia still had firm control over by 1960 was Lebanon. Lebanon, coincidentally, had the highest population of Arab Christians. Almost immediately, Dayan and Arafat both agreed that Russia could keep Lebanon. They also agreed to expel all Christian Arabs to Lebanon, although Russia allowed all Jews and Muslims to stay if they wished (most did not wish). Russia would liberate Lebanon as the Christian Kingdom of Lebanon, with its capitol in Beirut, and ruled by one of Olga’s sisters, Anastasia. Queen Anastasia would go on to be a popular ruler, leading Lebanon through its nation building phase.

The rest of the Levant would not be so lucky, unfortunately. Almost as soon as Russia withdrew from negotiations, Arafat and Dayan were at each other’s throats. They and their men both knew full well that the fight with Russia was only the beginning. Now, the true battle, between Judaism and Islam, Communism and Wahhabism, had begun. It was this battle that would shape the future of the Levant.

That battle, though, will have to wait. As attentive readers might remember, 1960 was also the year that the Great Middle Eastern War began. Lets get to that, shall we?

Author's notes: Okay, definitely no further updates until June 15 at least, because exams are a thing. I have seen Satan, and he looks like redox reactions. After that, I'm going to Dubrovnik for 4 days. After that, I have a few weeks and then I'm going to Scandinavia with my family. So yeah, expect only sporadic updates throughout all of Summer.

The rest of the Levant would not be so lucky, unfortunately. Almost as soon as Russia withdrew from negotiations, Arafat and Dayan were at each other’s throats. They and their men both knew full well that the fight with Russia was only the beginning. Now, the true battle, between Judaism and Islam, Communism and Wahhabism, had begun. It was this battle that would shape the future of the Levant.

Oh geez, looks like some things never change...besides war itself.

• 1 month later...

One issue with the Levantine War.

Eilat didn't really exist until the 1980's. It wasn't even named a town until 1959.

But hey, what do I know?

Also, those sneaky bastards, them Jews. Never can trust them.

Edited by Pharoahe Monch

One issue with the Levantine War.

Eilat didn't really exist until the 1980's. It wasn't even named a town until 1959.

But hey, what do I know?

Also, those sneaky bastards, them Jews. Never can trust them.

Really? I thought T.E. Lawrence captured it in WWI.

Someone's a hypocrite. Unless you aren't actually Jewish, then you're just being an ass.

Try sarcastic. I'm an Israeli Jew.

I want to see a Commie Apartheid Israel here.

Also, Tel Aviv didn't even exist during WWI and it is the country's oldest modern city (Jerusalem isn't modern and is a glorified shithole). Eilat was a collection of a few (read 10 or so) buildings until about the early 1980's. Then they decided to build and the city exploded. I've seen the pictures.

Edited by Pharoahe Monch

Try sarcastic. I'm an Israeli Jew.

I want to see a Commie Apartheid Israel here.

Also, Tel Aviv didn't even exist during WWI and it is the country's oldest modern city (Jerusalem isn't modern and is a glorified shithole). Eilat was a collection of a few (read 10 or so) buildings until about the early 1980's. Then they decided to build and the city exploded. I've seen the pictures.

Oh god, did I have Tel Aviv here? Sigh. I'll have to purge the story of all the bad stuff like that one day.

• 1 month later...

Chapter 9

The Great Middle Eastern War

On October 20 of 1962, the Turkish and Iraqi Republican Armies marched into the territory of Kurdistan. The Kurdish army was poorly trained, poorly equipped, and poorly led, and melted away in the face of the Iraqis and Turks, who were armed with the latest in American military technology. By November 25, the Iraqis and Turks were besieging the Kurdish capitol of Mosul. Kurdistan was falling.

King Hussein of Jordan-Syria, Kurdistan’s protector, was in a bind. He had initially planned to mobilize the Royal Army for a month and then ride to the defense of Kurdistan. Unfortunately for him, it was increasingly looking as if there wouldn't be a Kurdistan to save. He thus decided to change his strategy to one of defense, digging in along the now massive frontier with both Iraq and Turkey, and waiting for the coming onslaught.

It was then that Atziz made a very, very stupid decision. Declaring the need to “Reclaim the city of Istanbul from the heathen and inferior Greeks” Atziz ordered the Turkish army to assault Greek positions along the Bosphorus and Dardanelles in early November. The response from King Constantine was immediate, mobilizing the Greek army to defend the Kingdom’s territory in Asia Minor. Unfortunately for the Greeks, they didn't expect that Atziz would be stupid enough to attack Greece while he was still fighting Jordan-Syria, and the Greek army in Asia minor was swept aside by the vastly superior Turkish forces, with all remaining Greek forces surrendering to the Turks in Smyrna on December 1. Fortunately, their heroic resistance had bought the Greeks enough time to reinforce the capitol in Constantinople.

Meanwhile, Iraqi President Qasim was understandably angry with his ally. Qasim had planned that Turkey and Iraq would crush the Hashemite Dynasty between them, but now Turkey was getting bogged down in Greece! Indeed, Atziz had only stationed enough troops to repel a Jordan-Syrian assault into southern Turkey; something that clearly was not going to happen. Still, Qasim figured that he had no choice but to launch an offensive; the alternative was to essentially give up his ambitions of a United Arab Republic. Thus, Iraqi troops went on the offensive.

Iraqi troops entered Jordan-Syria on December 1, after a few weeks of preparation. They attacked into northern Jordan, with the aim of having their troops reach Lebanon by February. This would cut the Kingdom in half, and theoretically allow the Iraqis to subdue the remaining enemy forces piecemeal. However, Hussein had a plan to turn the tables on the Iraqis using their own strategy against them.

As Iraqi forces entered Jordan-Syria, the Hashemite forces withdrew in the face of their advance, generally avoiding combat. Meanwhile, their superior air force, stocked with German Me-500 jets, inflicted a great deal of casualties on the invading Iraqi forces. The Hashemites lured the invaders into a corridor from the Iraqi border to Damascus, the ultimate goal of the Iraqi invasion. Then, on March 2 1963, with Iraqi forces at the gates of Damascus, the defenders dug in. The Battle of Damascus had begun.

Meanwhile, the Hashemite forces on the flanks of the corridor began their own assault. Fighting on their home turf, fresh, and supported by a superior air force, Hussein’s troops had closed the corridor by March 10. The Iraqi soldiers in Damascus were now trapped.

The defense of Jordan-Syria played out very similarly to the great general Hannibal Barca’s victory over Rome at Cannae, only on a strategic rather than tactical scale. The Hashemite forces, like Hannibal, had intentionally left their center weak to lure the enemy into an encirclement. This time, though, the victory was far more complete. Close to 1/4 of the Iraqi army was trapped in and around Damascus. They would surrender after a lengthly battle involving vicious street fighting by May 3. The rest of the Iraqi army would be pushed out of the country by the end of the month.

Meanwhile, the Greeks managed to blunt the Turkish advance at the Battle of Constantinople. Greek naval superiority won the day as they were able to effectively block the Turks from crossing the Bosphorus Straits. They then were able to retake the Asian sector of Constantinople from the Turks by February. The fully mobilized Greek army, with Constantinople as their beachhead, now advanced into Asia, and supported by Russian air strikes; the Russians, under a liberal government, did not want to sent ground troops to attack Turkey, but they had no qualms with lending their Orthodox brothers a helping hand from the air. Greece’s original territory was restored by March. Their advance had stalled in Western Anatolia, however, at the time of the Battle of Damascus.

These defeats, however, caused the complete collapse of the Iraqi-Turkish alliance. Atziz, desperate to end the war with the Hashemites, signed a peace treaty with Hussein whereby Turkey would cease all combat against Hashemite forces in return for Hashemite recognition of Turkish gains in Kurdistan. Hussein, not particularly caring about northern Kurdistan, (the oil was mostly in the areas occupied by Iraq) and eager to focus all of his armies on Iraq, agreed readily. Atziz, meanwhile, withdrew all his forces to face Greece.

Hashemite forces now began their push to liberate Iraqi occupied Kurdistan, starting on May 12. They met fierce resistance from the Iraqis, but gradually advanced towards Mosul, being greeted as liberators by the Kurdish Peshmerga guerrillas, who had been harassing the occupiers ever since the fall of Kurdistan. By June 4, Kurdistan was fully liberated.

Meanwhile, the Greeks and Turks were at a stalemate. The Greeks now pushed to take Ankara, the Turkish capitol, but the Turks dug in, making the Greek advance reminiscent of the First World War. Although Greek air superiority of course sped their advance up significantly, they were not advancing fast enough to call the offensive a success. This, as it turned out, was exactly what Huey Long planned.

Long had from the beginning been funding Communist cells within Turkey. They were his insurance policy in case his new pet looked like it was about to fall. It had been easy to arm the cells due to the fact that the Americans were already arming the Turkish army; all they had to do was get Communists into the Turkish army. So it was that on July 1, with the Turks continuing to be pushed back and discontent against Atziz at an all time high, the sleeper cells went to work. The Turkish Revolution had begun.

By July 5, Atziz and most of his inner circle were dead and the Revolutionaries were in control of Ankara. The Americans almost immediately sent troops in to secure their new ally, also warning the Greeks to stop their offensive against Turkey, or else. Given that the Greeks had taken all of their claimed territory (except Pontus, but that was nothing but a pipe dream) they agreed on the condition that they keep what they occupied. Although this didn't sit well with the new Turkish leadership, Long didn't particularly care what they thought. The Turkish phase of the Great Middle Eastern War was over.

Iraq, of course, was losing. Not only did Hashemite troops begin to invade their land in July, the Shah of Persia, Mohammed Hassan Mirza Qajar, invaded Iraq with the aim of taking their Shiite majority provinces; centered around the city of Basra. Qajar Persia had been through some rough spots leading up to the First World War, but when under the Russian sphere of influence Mohammed Hassan had modernized the country. Now, he sought to bring Persia back as a great power, and this war was a splendid opportunity.

Faced with an attack on two fronts, the Iraqi military collapsed. Iraq surrendered unconditionally by August. While the area around Basra was ceded to Persia, King Hussein became King of Iraq as well as Jordan and Syria. He then declared that the era of Arab disunity was over, and that a new, united, Hashemite Arabia had arisen. This was a direct challenge to the House of Saud, which still ruled the south of Arabia, as well as their puppets in Dubai, Qatar, Yemen, and Oman. Saudi and Hashemite Arabia would become fierce rivals in later years, especially as the Hashemites secularized while the Saudis doubled down on Wahhabism.

The rise of Communism in Turkey, meanwhile, was a huge coup for America. They now had a convenient base for their missiles right next to their chief geopolitical rival, the Russian Empire. It also put them in an excellent position to destabilize both the Balkans and the middle East. This news, however, was also bad for the Saudis; now that America had a Communist ally in the Middle East, they no longer needed Saudi Arabia. Their oil reserves were also taken care of with the rise of the Kurdish Democratic Republic, also called Kurdistan.

Thus, by 1964 the Middle East was changed cataclysmically. A new regional power had risen in Hashemite Arabia, while America had a new ally, and Persia was becoming ever more assertive in the region. Meanwhile, though, Europe was entering into its most transformative decade yet.

This is a very different Iran-Iraq War, with a very different outcome. I can't even find anything to compare it to. So enters the Turkish Missile Crisis, or whatever you want to call it.

Well midway through I realized that the story had too many analogues, so I decided to do a few original things. This is one of them, as is Fundamentalist Christian China.

• 5 weeks later...

I've only read through the first few chapters, but I like that you kept the Russo-German alliance and DIDN'T let Ferdy die. I am also a monarchist, though I prefer Spain to Germany.

Represent! Although, unfortunately, tough times are ahead for the Spanish monarchy, but no tougher than IRL.