Should branched promotions return?

BlueLore

106 members have voted

1. 1. What are your opinions about the branched promotions?

• They should return,but only if they improved some things
    • I think they are fine the way they are and hope they return
    • I never liked them so I hope they don't come back
    • I don't really care

Well so far most people seem to assume that branched promotions would return,but in the end we don't know if that will be really the case(sure they said we'll be making important decisions this time,but that doesn't mean that the promotions will be among these decisions)

Overall I am a bit undecided right now.I mean lets look at the pros and cons:

pros

-most likely more variety among endgame units

-allows characters of the same basic class to turn out very differently by choosing different promotions

-gives you a certain amount of control how you want to balance your endgame army

cons

-probably less variation among first-tier-units

-starting class feels less impactful(why would it matter to me that much if I got a mercenary if my archer and fighter can turn into the exact same classes as the mercenary?)

-almost always some kind of weird promotion(like dragon riders turning into gryphon riders,dark magics loosing their dark magic abilities when becoming dark riders or troubadours becoming war clerics)

-uneven promotion trees are kinda jarring(like mentioned before,the mercenary has no promotion that is unique to him,while for example the flying units have 2 unique promotion options)

-If class changing returns,it can easily end with some characters having less options for endgame than others(for example kellam can basically choose among 6 final classes,while vaike has only 5 since the barbarian and fighter class share a promotion)

So tbh,for me the cons actually outweigh the pros to some extent.

I mean I would be ok if branched class trees return,but the cons would still bother me to some extent.

However they could adress these negative sides as most of them are not inherent to the concept of branched class trees themselves(for example they could just give every class their own unique upgrade and a non-unique)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it'd be okay if I couldn't switch between them after the initial, like FE8.

It makes prior planning more important and makes the choice more serious. Will I make Lute a mage knight, for extra move, or will I make her a sage for a higher Magic cap?

So only if reclassing and second seals don't exist.

If branching promotion choices are to have any weight, then promoted reclassing (and the whole Second Seal system) needs to go. I wouldn't mind unpromoted classes having the option to reclass, since it gives them options to play around with early on.

If branching promotion choices are to have any weight, then promoted reclassing (and the whole Second Seal system) needs to go. I wouldn't mind unpromoted classes having the option to reclass, since it gives them options to play around with early on.

I thought grinding was the problem and second seals were an A-ok.

Yes but they need to improve.

I would prefer if there were no second seals since I never liked the system.

Also make Peg. Knight and Wyvenr Rider one like in FE:8.

EDIT:I would like branching paths but no second seals and if there is reclassing then yeah bring back second seals.

Edited by Azz01

With the existence of Second Seals, there's kinda no point in putting too much thought into your choice if there are branched promotions. You could just grind and then re-class again and maybe the best class for the character isn't even in their original tier.

I highly doubt re-classing will go away anytime soon, so it's just a matter as to whether there will be any limits on re-classing. Besides, It's uncertain whether or not we're going to get the Second Seal re-classing system back in FE14.

Split promotions ala Fe2 would be interesting. Have some starting characters in the generic villager class from 2 and they had about 5 or so classes to pick from at a very early level.

I'm fine with branched promotions only if they stay the way they are in Awakening and let you see what the unit's stats and usable weapons will be like before you make your final choice on what class to promote them to. I didn't like not being able to see this in Sacred Stones, because then I never know which class is better for which unit.

Edited by Anacybele

Just to satisfy my curiosity, why is there such a strong aversion to second seals/reclassing?

Personally I never really like any game that has reclassing but I never liked it in Awakening because It allows you to break the game by maxing your characters and while I may sound hypocritical 'cause I do max my characters I still would prefer it if we had no reclassing.

Personally I never really like any game that has reclassing but I never liked it in Awakening because It allows you to break the game by maxing your characters and while I may sound hypocritical 'cause I do max my characters I still would prefer it if we had no reclassing.

It's hilariously broken

So you'd rather take something (something completely optional I might add) away than have to restrain yourself from breaking the game? This reminds me of how people complained that FE8 was too easy because you could just grind the Tower of Valni or the world map. There's an easy solution to that you know.

So you'd rather take something (something completely optional I might add) away than have to restrain yourself from breaking the game? This reminds me of how people complained that FE8 was too easy because you could just grind the Tower of Valni or the world map. There's an easy solution to that you know.

I know it is optional but the completionist in me requires me to do everything(And yes I understand that is also based on my descison).

Also I honestly think the game never needed reclassing as units were good enough without maxed stats.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, why is there such a strong aversion to second seals/reclassing?

Because people feel it decreases the uniqueness between characters.

Personally I like second seals, but I've only played Awakening, so I have no idea what its like in the other games where they don't exist.

Likely a reason they dislike them however are the above stated reasons, possibly along with nostalgia clouding. Speaking from experience, people tend to sugarcoat things out of nostalgia and defend them to the end, despite how things have gotten better since then (Such as people claiming Vanilla, BC, or Wrath-era WoW as being "The best time for WoW evar and they should just mirror that.").

Edited by Fallaner

It's called game balance.

If a feature, like reclass, is hilariously broken, it throws said balance out of whack. It doesn't matter if I choose to not use it. It's there, and the game balance when features are fully used is all but gone.

That said, the problem in FE13 was less reclass and more resetting your level. FE11/12 were better, but it was unlimited and free there. Hence if we don't get branched promotions, it would be okay if we combined FE11/12 and FE13's systems, you still need a rare, but not infinite (though after Ch13 it was unlimited) item to reclass, but it won't reset your level. Oh, and give each character a lilited amount of options.

If branching paths return, ditch it entirly.

It's called game balance.

If a feature, like reclass, is hilariously broken, it throws said balance out of whack. It doesn't matter if I choose to not use it. It's there, and the game balance when features are fully used is all but gone.

That said, the problem in FE13 was less reclass and more resetting your level. FE11/12 were better, but it was unlimited and free there. Hence if we don't get branched promotions, it would be okay if we combined FE11/12 and FE13's systems, you still need a rare, but not infinite (though after Ch13 it was unlimited) item to reclass, but it won't reset your level. Oh, and give each character a lilited amount of options.

If branching paths return, ditch it entirly.

The funny thing is, FE has never been balanced. I don't expect 14 to be any more balanced then any other FE.

The funny thing is, FE has never been balanced. I don't expect 14 to be any more balanced then any other FE.

Fair enough.

I just want it to be an improvement over FE13... bring back Wind edge/Storm Sword/Tempest Blade goddammit.