Let's Play: OpenXCOM - UFO Defense

Parrhesia

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, looks like there's just three? submissions in the final 26. With nobody really offering input as to squad construction I just picked the best squad available to me.

• 2 weeks later...

And so, with the alien menace corralled, it's time to look to the future.

There are two more XCOMs I could LP (I have Enemy Within. It's fantastic. But if I'm doing it at all, I'm doing it last).

They are;

TERROR FROM THE DEEP Basically a reskin of this. Slightly improved... but there is no OpenXCOM for it. This would have Psionics without line of sight. It would be fun times. Casualties would be higher than this early on but tail off later because psi.

APOCALYPSE XCOM... in real-time? With a very 80s aesthetic? Mm, tasty. Doesn't use the same engine. I'd be basically blind. Casualties would be less staggering than in this.

Other? ... I dunno.

Of the ones I haven't yet seen played, I'd most love a look at TERROR FROM THE DEEP. Really like the setting idea.

i mean, i tried to make a poll happen, but.

i am personally leaning towards terror, tbh.

spoilers instead of rifles you get harpoon guns

update I don't care about democracy

350624f046a1782333bd9998fe09b46a.png

Edited by Parrhesia

lp update i um. it seems technologically impossible to actually get screenshots of Terror from the Deep.

The next LP will be Apocalypse if I can't get that working somehow.

further lp update

dace22d36a828d9c85612b98039e18f8.png

Guess who got it working.

Related note guess who has a newfound appreciation for just how playable and great OpenXCOM is.

Edited by Parrhesia

• 1 month later...

INTERLUDE

"Sir? Call for you."

The Commander picked up the phone. Yet another head of state come to congratulate them on their fine and discreet victory, doubtless. Sure, it might come across as sycophantic sometimes, but... damn, it felt good. It felt like just reward. Especially after how long they'd just been 'those fringe paramilitaries', cast aside and denied funding time and time again before being sent into battle with knockoff AK-47s and old fatigues...

How far away those times seemed now."

"This is XCOM HQ."

"Sir? Sir?!"

This wasn't right. The man on the other end sounded so... frantic. "Who is this?"

cf5ed43bffc99887e37bbd478395a920.png

"Private Johnny Howson, sir! From the Seoul base! We're... it's... they..."

The Commander did everything they could not to bellow down the line. "Breathe, private. What happened?"

"Sir, they..."

e8cf0d6e03ee2d302a4134448e3a0da7.png

"They're here..."

af2ec48d1f07e01a571cdc6c293f2585.png

"Backup! Need some fucking backup!" came a distant scream on the phone, then the sounds of plasma fire. Treacherously, the memory of the Seoul base came flooding back to the Commander... more or less a glorified airport with a skeleton staff working security. They hadn't seen real action.

"What's the situation there?"

ce7e17e8a10ecc902a5ff82ffba4f365.png

"It's bad, sir! They're pouring through the hangars! There's... God, there's twenty-five, maybe thirty troops we've got, but... I just don't know what we can do! Weren't they meant to be dead, sir?!"

"Hold the line!"

"We're trying! Sir, what do we do? What do we-"

The line cut off.

Howson smashed the phone against a wall and swore.

ca8066ea373277424398674db312fdf3.png

All the while, his comms buzzed.

"Alright," came the calm, solemn voice of Captain St. Germain. "I've got a squad assembled here. We're ready to move out as a solid group. Any other officers, can you hear me? Do you read?"

49655d768a40047f0bcff91de668e5f8.png

The crackling of heavy lasers on another line. "Yeah, Sergeant Blindside - should still be in fuckin' medbay, eh? I got a team of like, four, five, we're cuttin' across to flank."

de6f6ca0be9bd6fd03fe4ba323ee5aff.png

"Lightflare here!" barked a younger voice. "We're repelling 'em, no fear here!" More plasma crackling from both sides.

"We've taken losses too," said another. "Bones, a couple others..."

dd907c6d13cd563335a5b13572c11ee0.png

"They just keep coming! They just! Keep! Fucking! Coming!"

Blindside's voice again, carrying strong. "Josiah, 's that you? Right, Axel, and you, take a right, we'll hold our course."

"Sir- oh, JESUS!"

01e699d150287f4a4e2cf4a6a558edc9.png

"He's eating him, fucking... oh my god..."

"While he's eating him he ain't eating us! Stop talking and shoot!"

Howson didn't need the comms to hear those shots.

a848de3874206f3de8958af698824bc8.png

He opened the door, pistol raised. Three bodies right there, two of them piled on top of one another and with Lightflare's bloody bootprints on top of the pile. It smelt of smoke and fuel and blood and... christ, they'd told him it was rough on the field. But he was just a medic. And this was meant to just be security detail.

"Blindside's dead," came the casual tone of someone he recognised as a medic, just not which medic. The tone sharpened. "Shit, there's more of them! We're being overrun here!"

But they weren't, and as bolts kept flying through the air, green soldiers pressed on through the worst of the carnage...

Somehow, the line held.

A month passed.

No alien activity since the siege of the Seoul base. When someone finally managed to get the all-clear back to HQ after bypassing the cut phone-cables (the ranking officer this time, not a panicking medic), the report was thorough enough to satisfy even Command.

"They didn't even seem to have a true commander," Captain St. Germain had said contemptuously. The one inconsistency with his own report was his insistence that he had lead the security efforts himself, bravely taking heavy fire in the line of duty, which lined up with just about nothing he knew of the captain. But that was irrelevant now. "Just a pack of rogue floaters and their pet reapers."

"Poorly equipped as well, you say."

"They had one blaster launcher, sir, and they did not fire it. And, well. They were floaters. Publically, we've stated the threat is over, and I still believe this to be the case, sir."

"Yeah, well. As you say. Just a pack of rogue floaters."

"Right. Uh, with respect, sir, I should get back to organising the repairs. You know where to contact me."

"Yes, Captain. Thanks for the report."

They clicked the phone back on the receiver. Sure, that might just have been a freak incident. Sure, the alien base on Mars was devoid of life. Sure, their overmind had been shot, set on fire and then exploded for good measure.

But as they glanced at the map on their office wall, they wondered if it really was the end...