Fire Emblem: Archanea Trilogy

Topaz Light

What is your opinion on the following features for a FE1~3 remake compilation?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Anima/Light/Dark magic split be implemented?

2. 2. In which games should branched promotions be made available in order to allow more unit variety? (Branched promotions will not be available, save for Gaiden's Villagers, when player character classes/stats are set to "Original")

• All three.
    • Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem, with Gaiden having third-tiers instead.
    • Gaiden should have branched promotions instead of third-tiers, while Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem have fixed promotions.
    • All games should have two tiers and fixed promotions.
    • All games should have fixed promotions, with third-tiers being exclusive to Gaiden.
  3. 3. Should Dread Fighter be Alm's personal second-tier class, or the third-tier of the Myrmidon line?

• Dread Fighter should be Alm's personal second-tier class; use Trueblade as the third-tier Myrmidon/Swordmaster promotion.
    • Dread Fighter should be the third-tier Myrmidon/Swordmaster promotion as it was in the original; use a new class as Alm's personal second-tier class.
    • Indifferent
  4. 4. Should A Support paired endings be able to override canon pairings? (Note that for characters originating in Shadow Dragon, the overriding for certain pairs may not fully take place until Mystery of the Emblem)

• Yes, in all instances.
    • Yes, but only in minor instances. (Ex. Gray x Clair)
    • No, never.
    • Indifferent

A while ago, I had the idea that it would be neat to have Shadow Dragon, Gaiden, and Mystery of the Emblem, as well as the BSFE and FE12 on-disc DLC maps, together in one compilation, preferably as a trilogy of enhanced remakes. So, naturally, considering FEXNA is on the way, I've decided to use the engine to accomplish this.

[spoiler=Planned Features]All three games together in one package, sorted thusly:

1. Book 1: Shadow Dragon (Unabridged version)
  2. Book 2: Gaiden
  3. Book 3: Mystery of the Emblem
  4. Addendum: Tales of Archanea and Valentia (Bonus Maps)

Revamped and rebalanced player character classes/stats and chapter layouts (including some map and goal changes), which will be togglable independently of one another when starting a new game.

The following New Game setting options:
(Setting: Option 1, Option 2, so on...)

• Difficulty: Easy, Normal, Hard, Maniac, Lunatic
  • Mode: Classic, Casual/Newcomer
  • Player Units: Remastered, Original
  • Chapters*: Remastered, Original
    -> Enemy Layout (prompted when "Original" is selected): Original, Remastered
    *As Fire Emblem Gaiden's maps and plot progression are likely to be revamped heavily, Chapter Layout selection may not be available for Gaiden.
    Also note that the whole Player Units, Chapters, Enemy Layout, etc. being selectable is still sorta pending. I may have it not be selectable and just use a revamped design for everything. Either way, the revamped content will be given priority and implemented first, with the "Original" settings being put on the back burner as potential extra content for those who would prefer it.

You'll now have the ability to visit villages with anyone and not just Marth.

Hardin will be given a unique personal class for Book 1 and will serve as a second Lord character. Hardin's Tale may be an unlockable mode, with an alternate set of chapters leading up to Chapter 5, as well as slightly tweaked enemy layouts for most maps and maybe additional chapters and playable characters.

Nyna might be made playable in Book 1, joining at the same time as Hardin and getting a similar treatment, gameplay-wise. (Unique personal class, serves as a third Lord character, Nyna's Tale being unlocked after clearing Marth's Tale as well)

If any out of Marth, Hardin, or Nyna fall in battle, it's Game Over.

(On this note, this is probably an extremely minor point, but that villager who gives you a weapon for Hardin will give you a Silver Lance, or maybe Hardin's first Prf weapon, rather than a Silver Sword, so base Hardin can actually use the gift that guy has for him.)

Proper support conversations, as well as paired endings, will be added.

BSFE chapters and Heroes of Light and Shadow bonus maps will be unlocked periodically as relevant milestones are reached in the main stories.
A few additional bonus maps exclusive to the remake compilation will also be unlockable.

New characters may be added sparingly to (further) represent sparse and/or newly-recruitable classes. (Ex. New Dark Mage and Soldier characters.)

Marth will now promote in Remastered Characters mode instead of simply being able to reach level 30. In both Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem, promotion will take place after reclaiming Altea:
Shadow Dragon: Lord (Swords) -> Great Lord (Swords, Lances)
Mystery of the Emblem: Great Lord (Swords, Lances) -> Lodestar (Swords, Lances, Axes)

Despite beginning as a Great Lord in Mystery of the Emblem, his stats, including Movement, will be back down to 1st-tier level.

Data transfer will be available, and returning characters will obtain small bonuses to stats at which they excelled in earlier books. They'll also retain A-rank support relationships in the form of Bonds, which will increase the speed at which new supports become available for the pair and allow the next set of supports to follow from the earlier set for an effective six support conversations (gameplay-wise, though, it still maxes out at A-rank); nine in the case of supports between the Whitewing sisters).

Expanded main storyline detail. Information that was previously disclosed only in developers' notes and supplementary materials will be worked into the main game. Ties between the Archanean and Valentian stories will be tightened and expanded upon. More details will be given about reason for the Whitewings' journey to Valentia, which will tie into an explanation for the Falchion's previously-inexplicable presence in Rigel. The assassins subplot that was added in New Mystery will either be kept and reworked or dropped entirely, but it won't remain as it was in New Mystery. Additionally, a few characters from Gaiden may become recruitable in Mystery of the Emblem with data transfer.

Edited the poll to reflect something I was a bit shy to mention initially: I will not be retconning anything of consequence out of the current canon. As much as people have complained about it, New Mystery of the Emblem's version of the story seems to be considered canon now, so all the characters and elements it introduced will be retained. However, I will be reworking Kris' inclusion and the assassin subplot, considering they were originally shoehorned into the story pretty sloppily.

Also, the presence of sidequests in Marth's quests in general are very liable to be played with or redone entirely, since none of them seemed to be terribly well-integrated with the main plot of either game. However, the new characters introduced in Shadow Dragon's sidequests and prologue chapters will still be recruitable- or at least present in the story, in Nagi's case- in some way or another.

[spoiler=Names]All of NoA's officially-translated names will be used where present.

Names of characters who don't have official translations:

(Original name -> Remake Compilation name)

Luka

Gray

Robin -> Lark (To prevent name overlap with Awakening's Robin)

Cliff

Silk

Force

Python

Matilda -> Mathilde (More refined spelling)

Dyute -> Dutar (To go with her brother's name. Just as a luthier is someone who makes and tends to stringed instruments, a dutar is a type of stringed instrument)

Teeta -> Tita (More refined spelling)

Zeke -> Ezekiel (Zeke is short for Ezekiel)

Jenny

Saber

Kamui -> Kam'ir (To prevent name overlap with if's Kamui. Also a nod to the Chon'sinese naming conventions in Awakening)

Leo

Atlas

Jesey -> Jesse (Jesse is a real name and Jesey isn't. It honestly kind of baffles me that it wasn't translated this way to begin with)

Sonia -> Sondra (To prevent name overlap with Blazing Sword's Sonia)

Luke

Rody

Cecille

Ryan

Malicia -> Marisha (It would be confusing having Malicia and Malice in the same party)

Warren

Yumina -> Eumina (I honestly have no idea what to do with these two. Suggestions?)

Yubello -> Eubello (Seriously, if anyone has any suggestions, lay 'em on me.)

Samto -> Samther (Samto's just a really weird-sounding name)

Feena

Elrean -> Elraine (Really no reason other than "Because I like it better this way")

Dice

Robert -> Roberto (Probably I'm being a nitpick but the kana seems closer to Roberto than Robert to me)

Belf -> Virgil Bell (It's a real man's name, apparently)

Leiden

Sheema

Frost

Rudolf -> Randolph (You all know why. Rudolf would be an extremely difficult name for an English-speaking audience to take seriously)

Kleine

Eremiah -> Eremilla/Eremija (Can't decide which to go with, if either, but either way the "ll"/"j" makes a "y" sound. Eremiah looks like it would rhyme with Jeremiah, which wouldn't match the kana. I'm open to suggestions for this one as well)

Some of the names of incidental bosses from Gaiden and Mystery of the Emblem may also be retranslated or changed. I'll get around to that sometime. It's not really a priority.

Feedback and constructive criticisms are welcome!

Edited by Starlight36

A few things:

Firstly: this appears to be a massive project. I think you should complete gaiden first simply due to the extreme age of the only available source material making it feel dated and hard to play nowadays. Also, it might be a good idea to finish all chapters of each game with no options for map or unit variance, and then add new maps and units for all chapters.

Regarding names: What it with the FE fandom's obsession with these? perfect fidelity to the Japanese version is counterproductive when the intended audience mostly speaks english as their primary language, and therefore has a different view off the names. As such, i would tend to go with references and theme naming where appropriate, and reasonable names where not (unless an exotic effect is explicitly desired, as it is with Navere). (for example, my first instinct would be to name the royal twins Dave and Rose in reference to the blond twins from homestuck. My second instinct would be to name Eubelio "Edward" or "Richard" in reference to the "princes in the tower" fromBbritish history. Other royal names would also work). That's all that i have at the moment.

Regarding names: What it with the FE fandom's obsession with these? perfect fidelity to the Japanese version is counterproductive when the intended audience mostly speaks english as their primary language, and therefore has a different view off the names. As such, i would tend to go with references and theme naming where appropriate, and reasonable names where not (unless an exotic effect is explicitly desired, as it is with Navere). (for example, my first instinct would be to name the royal twins Dave and Rose in reference to the blond twins from homestuck. My second instinct would be to name Eubelio "Edward" or "Richard" in reference to the "princes in the tower" fromBbritish history. Other royal names would also work). That's all that i have at the moment.

I see what you're getting at, but I don't think it's good to just go full Pokemon, either, and completely change almost all of them. So I'll be trying to follow roughly the official translations' usual ratio of fidelity vs. completely changed names.

Edited by Starlight36

Couple questions.

First off, will there be any cuts to the roster? Will you be trying to include every character from SD/New Mystery, or will you be trimming the cast down?

Do you have any plans to include dismounting?

What weight system will you be using?

What will you do to rectify the lack of Axes in Gaiden? Will you be reclassing existing characters to use them, or will you add new characters?

Tentatively looking forward to this.

I see what you're getting at, but I don't think it's good to just go full Pokemon, either, and completely change almost all of them. So I'll be trying to follow roughly the official translations' usual ratio of fidelity vs. completely changed names.

Of course not (many original names have no issues, and changing too much would just add unwanted confusion), but so many people in this fandom seem to think that all names must be as close as possible to the japanese. My point is that some times, a complete change does have to be made. As an example, i liked how bookofholsety's FE4 retranslation did it. Mostly the same, except that Fury is now Erin, and Tinny is now Cassie. Delmud's name changes a bit, but otherwise, the unofficial names are essentially the same. The only reason that i suggested such radical surgery on the twin's names was i think that they really are bad enough in english to warent it.

Edited by sirmola

A while ago, I had the idea that it would be neat to have Shadow Dragon, Gaiden, and Mystery of the Emblem, as well as the BSFE and FE12 on-disc DLC maps, together in one compilation, preferably as a trilogy of enhanced remakes. So, naturally, considering FEXNA is on the way, I've decided to use the engine to accomplish this.

[spoiler=Planned Features]All three games together in one package, sorted thusly:

1. Book 1: Shadow Dragon (Unabridged version)
  2. Book 2: Gaiden
  3. Book 3: Mystery of the Emblem
  4. Addendum: Tales of Archanea and Valentia (Bonus Maps)

Revamped and rebalanced player character classes/stats and chapter layouts (including some map and goal changes), which will be togglable independently of one another when starting a new game.

The following New Game setting options:

(Setting: Option 1, Option 2, so on...)

• Difficulty: Easy, Normal, Hard, Maniac, Lunatic
  • Mode: Classic, Casual/Newcomer
  • Player Units: Remastered, Original
  • Chapters*: Remastered, Original

-> Enemy Layout (prompted when "Original" is selected): Original, Remastered

*As Fire Emblem Gaiden's maps and plot progression are likely to be revamped heavily, Chapter Layout selection may not be available for Gaiden.

Also note that the whole Player Units, Chapters, Enemy Layout, etc. being selectable is still sorta pending. I may have it not be selectable and just use a revamped design for everything. Either way, the revamped content will be given priority and implemented first, with the "Original" settings being put on the back burner as potential extra content for those who would prefer it.

Hardin will be given a unique personal class for Book 1 and will serve as a second Lord character. Hardin's Tale may be an unlockable mode, with an alternate set of chapters leading up to Chapter 5, as well as slightly tweaked enemy layouts for most maps and maybe additional chapters and playable characters.

Nyna might be made playable in Book 1, joining at the same time as Hardin and getting a similar treatment, gameplay-wise. (Unique personal class, serves as a third Lord character, Nyna's Tale being unlocked after clearing Marth's Tale as well)

If any out of Marth, Hardin, or Nyna fall in battle, it's Game Over.

(On this note, this is probably an extremely minor point, but that villager who gives you a weapon for Hardin will give you a Silver Lance, or maybe Hardin's first Prf weapon, rather than a Silver Sword, so base Hardin can actually use the gift that guy has for him.)

Proper support conversations, as well as paired endings, will be added.

BSFE chapters and Heroes of Light and Shadow bonus maps will be unlocked periodically as relevant milestones are reached in the main stories.

A few additional bonus maps exclusive to the remake compilation will also be unlockable.

New characters may be added sparingly to (further) represent sparse and/or newly-recruitable classes. (Ex. New Dark Mage and Soldier characters.)

Marth will now promote in Remastered Characters mode instead of simply being able to reach level 30. In both Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem, promotion will take place after reclaiming Altea:

Shadow Dragon: Lord (Swords) -> Great Lord (Swords, Lances)

Mystery of the Emblem: Great Lord (Swords, Lances) -> Lodestar (Swords, Lances, Axes)

Despite beginning as a Great Lord in Mystery of the Emblem, his stats, including Movement, will be back down to 1st-tier level.

Data transfer will be available, and returning characters will obtain small bonuses to stats at which they excelled in earlier books. They'll also retain A-rank support relationships in the form of Bonds, which will increase the speed at which new supports become available for the pair and allow the next set of supports to follow from the earlier set for an effective six support conversations (gameplay-wise, though, it still maxes out at A-rank); nine in the case of supports between the Whitewing sisters).

Expanded main storyline detail. Information that was previously disclosed only in developers' notes and supplementary materials will be worked into the main game. Ties between the Archanean and Valentian stories will be tightened and expanded upon. More details will be given about reason for the Whitewings' journey to Valentia, which will tie into an explanation for the Falchion's previously-inexplicable presence in Rigel. The assassins subplot that was added in New Mystery will either be kept and reworked or dropped entirely, but it won't remain as it was in New Mystery. Additionally, a few characters from Gaiden may become recruitable in Mystery of the Emblem with data transfer.

Edited the poll to reflect something I was a bit shy to mention initially: I will not be retconning anything of consequence out of the current canon. As much as people have complained about it, New Mystery of the Emblem's version of the story seems to be considered canon now, so all the characters and elements it introduced will be retained. However, I will be reworking Kris' inclusion and the assassin subplot, considering they were originally shoehorned into the story pretty sloppily.

Also, the presence of sidequests in Marth's quests in general are very liable to be played with or redone entirely, since none of them seemed to be terribly well-integrated with the main plot of either game. However, the new characters introduced in Shadow Dragon's sidequests and prologue chapters will still be recruitable- or at least present in the story, in Nagi's case- in some way or another.

[spoiler=Names]All of NoA's officially-translated names will be used where present.

Names of characters who don't have official translations:

(Original name -> Remake Compilation name)

Luka

Gray

Robin -> Lark (To prevent name overlap with Awakening's Robin)

Cliff

Silk

Force

Python

Matilda -> Mathilde (More refined spelling)

Dyute -> Dutar (To go with her brother's name. Just as a luthier is someone who makes and tends to stringed instruments, a dutar is a type of stringed instrument)

Teeta -> Tita (More refined spelling)

Zeke -> Ezekiel (Zeke is short for Ezekiel)

Jenny

Saber

Kamui -> Kam'ir (To prevent name overlap with if's Kamui. Also a nod to the Chon'sinese naming conventions in Awakening)

Leo

Atlas

Jesey -> Jesse (Jesse is a real name and Jesey isn't. It honestly kind of baffles me that it wasn't translated this way to begin with)

Sonia -> Sondra (To prevent name overlap with Blazing Sword's Sonia)

Luke

Rody

Cecille

Ryan

Malicia -> Marisha (It would be confusing having Malicia and Malice in the same party)

Warren

Yumina -> Eumina (I honestly have no idea what to do with these two. Suggestions?)

Yubello -> Eubello (Seriously, if anyone has any suggestions, lay 'em on me.)

Samto -> Samther (Samto's just a really weird-sounding name)

Feena

Elrean -> Elraine (Really no reason other than "Because I like it better this way")

Dice

Robert -> Roberto (Probably I'm being a nitpick but the kana seems closer to Roberto than Robert to me)

Belf -> Virgil Bell (It's a real man's name, apparently)

Leiden

Sheema

Frost

Rudolf -> Randolph (You all know why. Rudolf would be an extremely difficult name for an English-speaking audience to take seriously)

Kleine

Eremiah -> Eremilla/Eremija (Can't decide which to go with, if either, but either way the "ll"/"j" makes a "y" sound. Eremiah looks like it would rhyme with Jeremiah, which wouldn't match the kana. I'm open to suggestions for this one as well)

Some of the names of incidental bosses from Gaiden and Mystery of the Emblem may also be retranslated or changed. I'll get around to that sometime. It's not really a priority.

Feedback and constructive criticisms are welcome!

Isn't this exactly what Arch is doing with Exalted Legacy?

Edited by Siuloir

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=49066

he wanted to do a trilogy, though that wouldn't include fe2

i'd like to try and scrape something towards a gaiden remake but I am waiting patiently until fexna comes out so i don't make any promises for things that don't go anywhere

Edited by Tryhard

Isn't this exactly what Arch is doing with Exalted Legacy?

I don't see any problem with duplicate remake initiatives. Part of the is because the success rate is so low that the odds of both finishing are miniscule (although FEXNA may change this somewhat). However, the main reason is that i don't mind more choice between what will probably end up being two extremely different games given the amount of creative decisions involved in a project like this. If a creator finds that a project will get him motivated and be fun, he should do it, even if one or two games have similar ideas. If there were hundreds of such games, i might have an issue. But there is only one currently in production, which is hardly an oversaturated market.

I don't see any problem with duplicate remake initiatives. Part of the is because the success rate is so low that the odds of both finishing are miniscule (although FEXNA may change this somewhat). However, the main reason is that i don't mind more choice between what will probably end up being two extremely different games given the amount of creative decisions involved in a project like this. If a creator finds that a project will get him motivated and be fun, he should do it, even if one or two games have similar ideas. If there were hundreds of such games, i might have an issue. But there is only one currently in production, which is hardly an oversaturated market.

I just don't get the remake fervor.

All that is possible with hacks and even moreso than FEXNA, and people want to remake the same stories everyone has already played. I'll never understand it.

Couple questions.

First off, will there be any cuts to the roster? Will you be trying to include every character from SD/New Mystery, or will you be trimming the cast down?

Do you have any plans to include dismounting?

What weight system will you be using?

What will you do to rectify the lack of Axes in Gaiden? Will you be reclassing existing characters to use them, or will you add new characters?

Tentatively looking forward to this.

Cuts to the roster... are not currently in the plans. They're not entirely off the table, either, but as of right now I'm not thinking I'm going to cut anyone. Some existing characters will be reclassed to diversify the player's roster of classes and to include some of the newly-recruitable classes. One pseudo-example is that Hunters will now be basically Nomads/Arch Knights/Bow Knights/what have you, since there really don't need to be two bow-using infantry classes. I'll put my current plans for reclasses under the cut, but some of them are tentative or mutually-exclusive with others.

[spoiler=What I currently have planned for reclasses]Frey: (To make him more of a "third" to Cain and Abel. Cain prefers swords, Abel prefers lances, Frey prefers axes)

Cavalier -> Axe Knight

Matthis: (He's really the only one I can think of who makes sense for it, considering he's from Macedon, the Wyvern Rider Nation)

Cavalier -> Wyvern Rider

Roshea: (Using axes, and especially promoting into a Great Knight, would fit his slow, defense-oriented stat build better than being a Cavalier/Paladin)

Cavalier -> Axe Knight

Wolf: (Pretty much just a simple demotion, since neither he nor Sedgar have the stats of a prepromote and getting three prepromotes in Chapter 5 is weird)

Horseman -> Hunter

Sedgar: (Pretty much just a simple demotion, since neither he nor Wolf have the stats of a prepromote and getting three prepromotes in Chapter 5 is weird)

Horseman -> Hunter

Roger: (It'll be either Roger and Horace, or Dolph and Macellan, but some of the Knights/Generals will be becoming Soldiers/Halberdiers)

Knight -> Soldier

Dolph & Macellan: (If it happens, it'll be instead of Roger and Horace. Because reclassing Dolph or Macellan without the other would just be wrong)

Knights -> Soldiers

Horace: (It'll be either Roger and Horace, or Dolph and Macellan, but some of the Knights/Generals will be becoming Soldiers/Halberdiers)

General -> Halberdier

Linde: (She's clearly supposed to be a Light specialist, so...)

Mage -> Shaman (basically a female Monk)

Maria: (You already have a Priest and a Cleric, so this'll make using her more worth considering)

Cleric -> Troubadour

Arran: (Jagen and Midia are already prepromote Paladins, so...)

Paladin -> Great Knight

Camus/Ezekiel/Sirius: (Basically it's just a Paladin clone with custom stat caps)

Paladin/Gold Knight -> Sable Knight

Boey: (Still on the fence about this. I feel like there's supposed to be some duality with him and Mae both being Mages)

Mage -> Monk

Dutar: (She's apprenticed to a Sorceror IIRC, and you don't recruit any Dark Mages in the original game, so...)

Mage -> Dark Mage

Luke: (To mirror the relationship between Cain, Abel and Frey; Luke's the axe guy, Rody's the lance guy, Cecille's the sword gal)

Cavalier -> Axe Knight

Eumina: (You already have a Cleric and a Priest, so this'll make using her more worth considering)

Cleric -> Troubadour

Dismounting actually didn't even cross my mind, but it's definitely worth thinking about. On the one hand, it was a mechanic that Mystery of the Emblem introduced, but on the other hand, it essentially turns all your mounted units into classes that are redundant with Ogma, Navarre, etc. for indoor maps, and I'm not sure if that's something I'd want to do.

I wanna say a rebalanced version of the Con system might be a good way to further diversify playable units, but I realize that the Weight system can have a pretty big impact on how good certain characters and weapons are so this is a decision I want to make with extra care.

First and foremost, Fighter will be added to the list of classes Villagers can promote into.

Secondly, I may not keep Gaiden's chronic single weapon lock setup, meaning that a couple classes may gain axe-ess to axes upon promotion.

Thirdly, since Gaiden actually has a pretty small number of playable characters (even less if we're going on a "per party" basis), I was thinking of adding a Fighter to each party, a Brigand to Alm's, and a Pirate to Celica's, with Wyvern Riders in their modern axe-using form will probably be present as playable units in some capacity.

Edited by Starlight36

Cuts to the roster... are not currently in the plans. They're not entirely off the table, either, but as of right now I'm not thinking I'm going to cut anyone. Some existing characters will be reclassed to diversify the player's roster of classes and to include some of the newly-recruitable classes. One pseudo-example is that Hunters will now be basically Nomads/Arch Knights/Bow Knights/what have you, since there really don't need to be two bow-using infantry classes. I'll put my current plans for reclasses under the cut, but some of them are tentative or mutually-exclusive with others.

Hm, what do you think of having Hunters promote to Warrior and having Bow Knights/Horseman be their own separate thing?

I have a bunch of other ideas about a class tree for this game, since I've been bouncing around the idea for an FE1/3 remake for a while now. If you'd like I could share them with you.

[spoiler=What I currently have planned for reclasses]Frey: (To make him more of a "third" to Cain and Abel. Cain prefers swords, Abel prefers lances, Frey prefers axes)

Cavalier -> Axe Knight

Matthis: (He's really the only one I can think of who makes sense for it, considering he's from Macedon, the Wyvern Rider Nation)

Cavalier -> Wyvern Rider

Roshea: (Using axes, and especially promoting into a Great Knight, would fit his slow, defense-oriented stat build better than being a Cavalier/Paladin)

Cavalier -> Axe Knight

Wolf: (Pretty much just a simple demotion, since neither he nor Sedgar have the stats of a prepromote and getting three prepromotes in Chapter 5 is weird)

Horseman -> Hunter

Sedgar: (Pretty much just a simple demotion, since neither he nor Wolf have the stats of a prepromote and getting three prepromotes in Chapter 5 is weird)

Horseman -> Hunter

Roger: (It'll be either Roger and Horace, or Dolph and Macellan, but some of the Knights/Generals will be becoming Soldiers/Halberdiers)

Knight -> Soldier

Dolph & Macellan: (If it happens, it'll be instead of Roger and Horace. Because reclassing Dolph or Macellan without the other would just be wrong)

Knights -> Soldiers

Horace: (It'll be either Roger and Horace, or Dolph and Macellan, but some of the Knights/Generals will be becoming Soldiers/Halberdiers)

General -> Halberdier

Linde: (She's clearly supposed to be a Light specialist, so...)

Mage -> Shaman (basically a female Monk)

Maria: (You already have a Priest and a Cleric, so this'll make using her more worth considering)

Cleric -> Troubadour

Arran: (Jagen and Midia are already prepromote Paladins, so...)

Paladin -> Great Knight

Camus/Ezekiel/Sirius: (Basically it's just a Paladin clone with custom stat caps)

Paladin/Gold Knight -> Sable Knight

Boey: (Still on the fence about this. I feel like there's supposed to be some duality with him and Mae both being Mages)

Mage -> Monk

Dutar: (She's apprenticed to a Sorceror IIRC, and you don't recruit any Dark Mages in the original game, so...)

Mage -> Dark Mage

Luke: (To mirror the relationship between Cain, Abel and Frey; Luke's the axe guy, Rody's the lance guy, Cecille's the sword gal)

Cavalier -> Axe Knight

Eumina: (You already have a Cleric and a Priest, so this'll make using her more worth considering)

Cleric -> Troubadour

A lot of these suggestions line up with what I would have had in mind for a remake. However, I have one suggestion: Consider making Roshe a trainee/recruit. Maybe it's just me, but he sort of fits the mold of a "lower level, but high potential" cavalier unit(see also: Carrion, Narron). Then make Vyland the Axe Knight.

Dismounting actually didn't even cross my mind, but it's definitely worth thinking about. On the one hand, it was a mechanic that Mystery of the Emblem introduced, but on the other hand, it essentially turns all your mounted units into classes that are redundant with Ogma, Navarre, etc. for indoor maps, and I'm not sure if that's something I'd want to do.

If I could make a suggestion, why not have dismounted units keep the same weapons they use while mounted, but with different weapon ranks for when mounted/dismounted?

Hm, what do you think of having Hunters promote to Warrior and having Bow Knights/Horseman be their own separate thing?

I have a bunch of other ideas about a class tree for this game, since I've been bouncing around the idea for an FE1/3 remake for a while now. If you'd like I could share them with you.

A lot of these suggestions line up with what I would have had in mind for a remake. However, I have one suggestion: Consider making Roshe a trainee/recruit. Maybe it's just me, but he sort of fits the mold of a "lower level, but high potential" cavalier unit(see also: Carrion, Narron). Then make Vyland the Axe Knight.

If I could make a suggestion, why not have dismounted units keep the same weapons they use while mounted, but with different weapon ranks for when mounted/dismounted?

Hmm, that's definitely something to think about, at least, but it wouldn't really fix the fact that Hunters themselves are redundant with Archers and I think bows just aren't a weapon type that's useful enough to warrant that many classes specializing in them.

Sure!

Actually, if any member of that group is getting the trainee treatment, it's Vyland. He joins at level 1 (as opposed to Roshea's joining at level 3), and I vaguely recall there being something somewhere about him being the "new blood" of the group or something. I'm probably wrong about that last bit, though.

Hmm... It's not a bad suggestion, but I'm concerned about the implications it'd have for gameplay. Even just switching weapon ranks around for Cavaliers/Paladins would almost certainly mean Lance rank taking the hit, which isn't good, considering lances are a more versatile weapon type than swords (therefore, out of the two weapon types, the one you'd more want to keep), and nerfed Movement and Rescuing utility, as well as the complete loss of Canto, will already be considerable penalties. Unless you were suggesting that dismounting just buffs the units' weapon ranks?

Thinking about it more, Dismounting is definitely something I'd want to include, since it seems like a good avenue through which to balance the obscene number of mounted units in Marth's games.

Edited by Starlight36

Sure!

[spoiler=lots o stuff]

Lance Knight (Lance) -> Paladin (Lance/Sword)

Sword Knight (Sword) -> Commander Knight (Sword/Axe)

Axe Knight (Axe) -> Great Knight (Axe/Lance)

(The main idea here was that each mounted class would gain the weapon that has WTA over the weapon that they have WTD against

Bow Knight (Bow) -> Horseman (Bow/Sword)

Fighter(Axe) ->

Hunter (Bow) -> Warrior (Axe/Bow)

Mage (Anima) ->

Light Mage (Light -> Sage (Anima/Light/(Staves?))

Mage (Anima) -> Mage Knight (Anima/Swords)

Note: The mage thing works like in FE4/5, where some Mages promote to Sage and some to Knight

Sword Soldier (Sword) ->

Lance Soldier (Lance) ->

Axe Soldier (Axe) -> Seargant (Axe/Lance/Sword)

Note: This class is from TRS if you didn't know.

An alternative to including the Seargant class family: Just have some Fighters promote to Heroes.

Recruit(Lances) -> Cavalier (Lances/Swords) -> King's Knight (Lance/Sword/Axe)

Introduce T1 Wyverns (with Axes) and have Pegs just promote to FalcoKnights.

Introduce Soldier/Halberdier class line

Armour Knights have Lance/Sword while Generals have all physical weapons.

Everything else is pretty much as it is in most FE games.

As for specific reclasses:

Cain -> Sword Knight

Abel -> Lance Knight

Frey -> Axe Knight

Wrys -> Bishop

Barst -> Axe Soldier

Matthis -> Wyvern Knight

Wendell -> Sage

Wolf -> Bow Knight

Vyland -> Axe Knight

Roshe -> Recruit

Hardin -> Lance Knight?

Ceasar -> Sword Soldier

Roger -> Soldier

Maria -> Troubadour

Linde -> Light Mage

Dolph -> Soldier

Macellan -> Lance Soldier

Tomas -> Bow Knight

Midia -> Mage Knight?

Horace -> Great Knight

Astram -> Seargant

Arran -> Commander Knight

Ymir -> Berserker

Actually, if any member of that group is getting the trainee treatment, it's Vyland. He joins at level 1 (as opposed to Roshea's joining at level 3), and I vaguely recall there being something somewhere about him being the "new blood" of the group or something. I'm probably wrong about that last bit, though.

You may be right, I do seem to recall Vyland being something of a newcomer....but Roshe's character design just makes it seem like it fits him the most.

Although, thinking on it, Rpshe being a Recruit would probably mess up BSFE2.....

[spoiler=lots o stuff]Lance Knight (Lance) -> Paladin (Lance/Sword)

Sword Knight (Sword) -> Commander Knight (Sword/Axe)

Axe Knight (Axe) -> Great Knight (Axe/Lance)

(The main idea here was that each mounted class would gain the weapon that has WTA over the weapon that they have WTD against

Bow Knight (Bow) -> Horseman (Bow/Sword)

Fighter(Axe) ->

Hunter (Bow) -> Warrior (Axe/Bow)

Mage (Anima) ->

Light Mage (Light -> Sage (Anima/Light/(Staves?))

Mage (Anima) -> Mage Knight (Anima/Swords)

Note: The mage thing works like in FE4/5, where some Mages promote to Sage and some to Knight

Sword Soldier (Sword) ->

Lance Soldier (Lance) ->

Axe Soldier (Axe) -> Seargant (Axe/Lance/Sword)

Note: This class is from TRS if you didn't know.

An alternative to including the Seargant class family: Just have some Fighters promote to Heroes.

Recruit(Lances) -> Cavalier (Lances/Swords) -> King's Knight (Lance/Sword/Axe)

Introduce T1 Wyverns (with Axes) and have Pegs just promote to FalcoKnights.

Introduce Soldier/Halberdier class line

Armour Knights have Lance/Sword while Generals have all physical weapons.

Everything else is pretty much as it is in most FE games.

As for specific reclasses:

Cain -> Sword Knight

Abel -> Lance Knight

Frey -> Axe Knight

Wrys -> Bishop

Barst -> Axe Soldier

Matthis -> Wyvern Knight

Wendell -> Sage

Wolf -> Bow Knight

Vyland -> Axe Knight

Roshe -> Recruit

Hardin -> Lance Knight?

Ceasar -> Sword Soldier

Roger -> Soldier

Maria -> Troubadour

Linde -> Light Mage

Dolph -> Soldier

Macellan -> Lance Soldier

Tomas -> Bow Knight

Midia -> Mage Knight?

Horace -> Great Knight

Astram -> Seargant

Arran -> Commander Knight

Ymir -> Berserker

You may be right, I do seem to recall Vyland being something of a newcomer....but Roshe's character design just makes it seem like it fits him the most.

Although, thinking on it, Roshe being a Recruit would probably mess up BSFE2.....

Whoa, that looks like a lot of classes. I think there are a few redundant ones (All the [weapon] Soldiers, for one), but you've clearly been thinking about it a lot. Now that I think about it, if I'm already going to have Axe Knights, going all-out and doing Jugdral's and Tellius' Sword/Axe/Lance/Bow Knight split (with Bow Knights replacing Hunters) might not be a bad idea...

And yeah, I do agree that Roshea looks more the part for being a trainee, but I think it's important to go off of character, rather than visual design, when deciding such things.

yeah, make vlyand a newbie, i assume he'd also be getting buffed growth wise too

Yeah, a lot of characters will be getting their growths and bases readjusted while retaining the general sort of stat specialties they're supposed to have (ex. Roshea won't use his Shadow Dragon growths but will still be HP/Defense-oriented with a weak Speed stat).

In general, I want to try to improve the viability of characters who aren't the first or second member of a given class to join your party, both by readjusting their bases/growths and by diversifying the class lineup.

I think this looks really interesting! I think your idea to make Hardin ND Nyna lords is really cool, especially since having a horse lord in addition to a mage lord would really mix up game play. I do have a few questions though:

1) How will you be handling Camus' multiple identities? Will he keep the same stats from game to game?

2) What exactly will Hardin's class be like? I'd recommend just lances for his 1 tier, since he uses gradivus eventually, and sword/lance 1 tier is OP for a lord.

3) Will you be keeping the Sacrifice choice from fe11?

Also, what will you be doing for sprites?

I think this looks really interesting! I think your idea to make Hardin ND Nyna lords is really cool, especially since having a horse lord in addition to a mage lord would really mix up game play. I do have a few questions though:

1) How will you be handling Camus' multiple identities? Will he keep the same stats from game to game?

2) What exactly will Hardin's class be like? I'd recommend just lances for his 1 tier, since he uses gradivus eventually, and sword/lance 1 tier is OP for a lord.

3) Will you be keeping the Sacrifice choice from fe11?

Also, what will you be doing for sprites?

1. Data transfer carryover bonuses will work similarly to FE10, so it's a fixed bonus to the character's stats based on how much those stats grew in the previous Book. Sirius!Camus can get carryover bonuses from Ezekiel!Camus, but Ezekiel!Camus can't get any bonuses since he's not recruitable in Book 1.
  2. He's definitely going to be a Lance specialist, that much I'm certain of. His promotion is probably going to be essentially a Paladin with custom caps. Prooooobably he'll be mounted at base since otherwise he'd be the only non-mounted member of his starting group.
  3. I'm going to be making it so that sacrificing units isn't necessary for anything, optional or main-story. So no. Frey's joining circumstances and dialogue in Book 3 will be adjusted accordingly.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. It'll be GBA-style, visually, so most characters with non-unique classes will just use the standard GBAFE sprites for their class, but with their own coloration applied to it.

I'm definitely not going to be doing the graphics FEDS style, if that was a concern.

Sorry, i should have been more specific. When i talked about sprites, i meant character mugs. Will you be using splices or completely original sprites.

Ohhhh alrighty.

Full-customs would be ideal but I'd be willing to settle for well-made splices (which I can make myself) if/where I need to.

Edited by Starlight36

I have some questions as well.

-Why make Hardin a lord, and not Caeda? (Note: I am not far at all in Shadow Dragon so I'm probably missing something)

-When you say that some characters from Gaiden might be playable (In Mystery of the Emblem), how will you incorporate them into Mystery Of the Emblem's plot?

-How are you planning on doing the music? Do you have someone that is good with instruments? Or did you make it yourself/use a computer program?

-Are you going to write all the support conversations yourself? That will take a long time.

-Are you going to change the story lines so that they fit better together, or will you leave them (mostly) as is?

-What about the Avatar from FE12? Will they just not exist, or be the default Kris? Also, would he be a lord as well?

-This seems pretty tough to make, so how long do you think it would take to make the FE1 part, or at least do you have a goal in mind for the time?

Sorry I ask so many questions. That's just what I do when I'm interested in something. Also, if one of my questions was answered before I asked, I'm sorry in advance, I tend to forget easily.