Spotpass and Einherjar

Sentacotus

I agree, I loved Awakening's DLC. It was awesome. There were so many cool maps thrown in, too, like the one with the spikes on the ground that I forget the name of.

Death's Embrace.

Realistically, even if they drop the number of Einherjar to 100 or so, I don't see them getting unique exclusive models. However, they should have better generic models this time since they'll know from the start when designing the Avatar pieces that they might be used for past characters, so we'll likely see an hair style with a headband, for example, or a standard long haired hair style for girls. Anyway, giving them some generic quotes and even a couple of supports shouldn't be hard. Their lack of speech in Awakening seemed to be more like an engine issue than anything (since they were mostly custom avatars using the mute avatar script), considering how they had no problems giving them three unique lines for the spotpass stuff or battle lines and death lines in the DLC.

Now, the paid DLC characters are the ones that hopefully will be more unique here.

Personally I'll be happy with 20-30 if they have unique models, 100 is far too much.

These images from the card game announcement seem to basically confirm that we're getting past game characters in If again, don't they?

CCh6R9UUsAE16Cb.jpg

CCh6BROWIAATXnt.png

Apparently buying the booster and starter decks give download codes for Fire Emblem If - Prince Marth, Masked Marth Lucina, and Pegasus Knight Minerva.

Edited by NeonZ

These images from the card game announcement seem to basically confirm that we're getting past game characters in If again, don't they?

CCh6R9UUsAE16Cb.jpg

CCh6BROWIAATXnt.png

Apparently buying the booster and starter decks give download codes for Fire Emblem If - Prince Marth, Masked Marth Lucina, and Pegasus Knight Minerva.

So does this mean that they will be available as DLC to pay for rather than having to buy the cards?

They're all potentially alternate versions of characters(Prince vs King Marth, Masked Lucina vs Lucina, Pegasus Minerva vs Wyvern Minerva), so it's possible they could be exclusive to this promotion and the standard versions would be standard DLC or spotpass. If they're including even alternate characters as DLC though, like that Minerva, I really want supports. Even if it's just a set with the avatar it could be interesting.

Edited by NeonZ

I never understood hating on the spotpass characters who were established as "dead". How soon people forget the likes of Camus, who for all intents and purposes came out of nowhere in FE3/12. Or how about Michalis in FE12, where he can be recruited rather than him dying like in FE3.

One doesn't have to take the spotpass chapters/characters uber seriously either. Remember FE6's trial maps with playable Hector, who died very early on? Or how about FE8's bonus characters in Creature Campaign?

There was no story attached to those, I know. To which I say: So what? Who honestly cares? Spotpass was always optional. I like the idea that Walhart survived through sheer force of will. I liked seeing the Umad King have a chance at redemption due to accidental survival. And seeing Aversa's spotpass gave Validar an actual douchebag angle besides the usual "I AM EVIL SIDEKICK TO EVIL DRAGON". He's no Manfroy or Gharnef, but at least it was something.

So yeah, bring on the dead character fake-outs again. I welcome it.

I never understood hating on the spotpass characters who were established as "dead". How soon people forget the likes of Camus, who for all intents and purposes came out of nowhere in FE3/12. Or how about Michalis in FE12, where he can be recruited rather than him dying like in FE3.

Camus was also in FE2, though no one knew he was Camus, so I guess it wasn't completely out of nowhere, but I still agree with your point.

One doesn't have to take the spotpass chapters/characters uber seriously either. Remember FE6's trial maps with playable Hector, who died very early on? Or how about FE8's bonus characters in Creature Campaign?

There was no story attached to those, I know. To which I say: So what? Who honestly cares? Spotpass was always optional. I like the idea that Walhart survived through sheer force of will. I liked seeing the Umad King have a chance at redemption due to accidental survival. And seeing Aversa's spotpass gave Validar an actual douchebag angle besides the usual "I AM EVIL SIDEKICK TO EVIL DRAGON". He's no Manfroy or Gharnef, but at least it was something.

I don't hate them per se its just that I'd like to see more somewhat original characters like Priam. But when you get down to it they are free maps and characters so I guess you can only complain about them so much.

I might as well add that for being "dead" characters they did put some good effort into their unique conversations in the scramble packs so there's that.

Personally, I enjoyed doing spotpass only runs on lunatic. For roleplay reasons and no pairing. If only they can say quotes from their previous games when they die or level up, and characters like Ike has his own ragnell animation. All spotpass characters should be treated like Anna. (well anna is debatable) They don't exist in the actual lore, yet they are in the game as a extra game mechanic.

late I'm sorry

but at least with those they didn't try to be like "oh hey remember these guys? hi we're trying to bring them back into the plot! They didn't die, they're still alive!"

they're just kinda there in FE6/FE8 and have no dialogue and are just an extra unit. They didn't try to bring them back into the plot though.

There was a possiblity of Awakening being the last game in the series, so they filled it with as much fan service as they could.

I really doubt they'll repeat that with If, it just doesn't fit the setting and with 3 total campaigns I think they have enough on their plate to not need to offer anything like Einherjar.

Some challenging spotpass maps would be great though. The series has a history of additional challenge maps and Nintendo have really started to push spotpass as a method of delivering content so I definitely expect them to do it.

I don't mind the Einherjar not having unique models because it was free, it was just fanservice, there's a metric fuckton of them, and models are hard to make. I think they should've had unique default palettes, however, since hueshift/textureswaps should not be difficult to make even in bulk.

DLC should've gotten unique default models at least since we did pay for them.

Cut down on the ovewhelming number of einherjar to just key members of the FE series.

2-3 per game, max. Not their entire main rosters!

I died a bit on the inside when micaiah and sothe looked like.... that.

Personally, I'd just like to change the rosters, and I agree with the entire 'only lords get custom models' idea. I really liked the einherjar in Awakening, but... Their models were kind of inaccurate, even for the limited options of the avatar builder. Every time I look at a certain bunch, I keep being reminded by myself of how they could have been made better.

Personally, I'd just like to change the rosters, and I agree with the entire 'only lords get custom models' idea. I really liked the einherjar in Awakening, but... Their models were kind of inaccurate, even for the limited options of the avatar builder. Every time I look at a certain bunch, I keep being reminded by myself of how they could have been made better.

Man, it bothers me even more with returning characters that had excellent matches that weren't used. There's a pigtail hairstyle in the small build MU that would be great for spotpass Serra. Nergal could have also used the swept back hairstyle instead of the buzzcut.

• 1 year later...