Lt.Smirks

But what's the idea behind it? I don't understand. It looks to me like a pile of green snot. Which is kind of gross... I don't mean that in an offensive manner, I swear. I just don't get the idea behind it.

I based my entry on a common green plant enemy called une from Castlevnia (http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Une) Which is just a green plant lol

In one of the games on the DS, they have "stronger" une enemy, called Chosen Une (http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Chosen_Une) which is literally a person covered in the plants

So I thought why not make a even "stronger" une enemy by having him ride on a une covered horse.

I hope this clears up my inspiration for my entry ^^; Granted, I could've made it better by making it more planty, but losing my original file really killed my motivation ><

Uh, I see a lot of changes having been made on both entries... And my idea is completely different from your typical FE mounted classes too.

So I still don't understand how my entry is worse. Sorry, but I just don't like the green blob. And no, it's not because my entry is losing to it, I didn't like it before voting began.

The plant monster is way more creative and unique than yours, which is why you're in last place. And that one's in first.

You're right, we don't have a plant monster in FE. But plant monster wasn't the first thing I thought of when I saw that entry. I thought of slime/snot/whatever you want to call it. xP

It's not literally a nomad on a zebra, I changed the way the person looks too. Darker skin and hair, different outfit, and the bow looks different too. No bandana either. I didn't know how much more different to make it from the nomad...

You're right though, the green thing does have more silhouette differences. But is that really a big deal? If so, I hadn't any idea...

It is a nomad on a zebra. Slight pixel changes still don't change the fact that it is still basically a reskin, and you satisfied the entry requirements with extremely minimal effort. It isn't nearly as creative as the plant monster to any degree.

That is why your entry is worse.

Edited by GhastStation

(Grats, Lumi!)

Also agreeing with what Toa said.

All three of the individual requirements seemed like good themes standalone, but altogether, by the time I thought of something that filled all the criteria I didn't have any oomph/enjoyment left or reason to fufill such a specific thing.

I'd rather have K.I.S.S. and winner takes all if the winner's circle keeps repeating the precise X+Y+Z+etc format. Create a prize cooldown on repeat winners if you're worried about a monopoly, imo.

The plant monster is way more creative and unique than yours, which is why you're in last place. And that one's in first.

It is a nomad on a zebra. Slight pixel changes still don't change the fact that it is still basically a reskin, and you satisfied the entry requirements with extremely minimal effort. It isn't nearly as creative as the plant monster to any degree.

That is why your entry is worse.

Sorry, but you're very wrong here. It's not just a nomad on a zebra, I made a LOT of changes and that entry took me hours to complete. So it was not "minimal" effort, it was a lot of effort. Also, why does the amount of effort one put into an entry matter? If it still looks great and better than another entry, that's the point, isn't it?

And an entry being "worse" or "more creative" is opinion, not fact. I disagree and feel that my entry was more creative than either of the others.

Still can't believe more people aren't voting for my entry. I still don't agree at all that it's worse than either of the other two entries. In fact, I find the other two to be way worse, which is why I didn't vote at all. I think both are really bad, to be perfectly honest. That's my opinion. If you don't like it, oh well.

I don't want to enter anymore of these contests though. I did well in the first one, that's it. For some reason, I've gotten worse at spriting instead of better, it seems. I don't understand why.

Also, not voting for an entry just because it's a "reskin" instead of a full custom or more complicated splice is stupid. That doesn't mean it can't look really nice or be a good idea.

Edited by Anacybele

@Ghast/Ana: If you guys could end the comparing between entries (better/worse) and insubstantial riffing that'd be great. These are just contests and it's hard enough making people feel welcome to enter them without the usual jabbing we do in sprite threads proper.

Ana in particular, voting can be random, don't look too much into it or try controlling what it means. As of right now you've got 5 out of 28 possible points, and people have written positive feedback for you on it, so it's not terrible. (Even so, when I get a 0,0 or a low yield for high effort on an entry I just kind of laugh in self-mock, shrug it off, and move on.)

What positive feedback? You mean in my sprite thread? Sure, you're right. But it's not much. I honestly thought I had come up with a really great entry, and for people to tell me it's not for the most part... That just really hurts. You know what I mean?

But you're right, this is no place to be taking jabs or debating about it or anything. It IS just a contest and we should move on.

Sorry about all this though... I didn't want it to come down to the jabbing and all.

(While we're still at the derail) Yeah, I know the feeling, especially when it comes to the feedback is nonexistent, vague, or purely negative. It's stalled me from doing a lot of things or revisiting a work or experiment. Though, one of the reasons to like contests is because you can at least get a click of positive note when something might potentially not get a comment at all.

I think the positive feedback you had was significant, as posted compliments to entries are more rare than you might think. As for the negative, I think the majority of crit in this case was typical armchair crit. The crit wasn't necessarily helpful enough on its own for you to improve the given piece significantly, they were more just possible leads that might lead to learning or might lead to an ambiguous dead-end. I think the idea itself had a lot of potential, and that's why people put in the extra 2 cents worth in hopes of getting you to work on it more. That'd happen whether or not it was a good or bad execution.

(While we're still at the derail) Yeah, I know the feeling, especially when it comes to the feedback is nonexistent, vague, or purely negative. It's stalled me from doing a lot of things or revisiting a work or experiment. Though, one of the reasons to like contests is because you can at least get a click of positive note when something might potentially not get a comment at all.

I think the positive feedback you had was significant, as posted compliments to entries are more rare than you might think. As for the negative, I think the majority of crit in this case was typical armchair crit. The crit wasn't necessarily helpful enough on its own for you to improve the given piece significantly, they were more just possible leads that might lead to learning or might lead to an ambiguous dead-end. I think the idea itself had a lot of potential, and that's why people put in the extra 2 cents worth in hopes of getting you to work on it more. That'd happen whether or not it was a good or bad execution.

Alright, I understand. Thanks for posting this. Seriously, thanks. I think you're right, I really do.

Edited by Tangerine