Why Fire Emblem: If isn't turning the Fire Emblem franchise into the Pokemon franchis

Alphine

Don't know if anyone posted this before, but here it is:

T0dV8uq.png

With credit to fellow SF user, Kao.

And just to clarify:

Fire Emblem: If is NOT mimicking the Pokemon franchise.

I would debate its not as well for those reasons listed but also for the fact that I think this is kinda a one time thing. IS has done things like this in the past with one trick ponies just look at laguz, link arenas, and any number of different things that got ditched after one go around.

The one thing I do think they realize from a business standpoint however, is that Fire Emblem has grown in popularity and IS is trying to capitalize by releasing two versions to make more money. That is kinda like Pokemon but still the games offer so vastly different experiences and you get the other at a discounted price so its a stretch to compare them.

Doesn't mean I don't have a huge problem with the games being 2 seperate entities.

The fact that you choose your side before you get the chance to get invested in either set of characters (Considering the choice starts in like, what Chapter 6?) is the biggest flaw here, and what really breaks the idea in my opinion.

People make the Pokemon comparison because making it two games would work better in a game with the same plotline, as it encourages connectivity between the 2 games. It's less flawed because unliked FEIF, it doesn't just lock you out of ingame features.

tl;dr: Splitting Hoshido and Nohr into 2 games is still very flawed in my opinion, and you shouldn't discourage people for comparing Pokemon games to Fire Emblem 14.

Edited by Nexas

Doesn't mean I don't have a huge problem with the games being 2 seperate entities.

The fact that you choose your side before you get the chance to get invested in either set of characters (Considering the choice starts in like, what Chapter 6?) is the biggest flaw here, and what really breaks the idea in my opinion.

People make the Pokemon comparison because making it two games would work better in a game with the same plotline, as it encourages connectivity between the 2 games. It's less flawed because unliked FEIF, it doesn't just lock you out of ingame features.

tl;dr: Splitting Hoshido and Nohr into 2 games is still very flawed in my opinion, and you shouldn't discourage people for comparing Pokemon games to Fire Emblem 14.

If you have a problem with that, I think there will be an option where you can choose which side to get, but it will only let you get said side/will have you prepay for both games. They were going for gameplay style for their audience, not necessarily characterization. I'm sure they will be evenly matched story wise. If what I stated first does not happen, then watch someone play the game for the first few chapters, then make your decision on that.

Pokemon has two games that are similar, but FE14 isn't going for that. They were going for "which gameplay style does the player prefer" over "what aspect of the story does the player prefer". The two games are meant to be completely independent of one another because of the content in them both being so heavy and different. The choice was never an ingame feature regardless, so it isn't taking anything away from the player.

But you should, because they're nothing like Pokemon except in the very loose sense that there are two games coming out at the same time. If anything, you should compare them to the Zelda Oracle games: two separate entities with a lot of shared resources between them.

If you have a problem with that, I think there will be an option where you can choose which side to get, but it will only let you get said side/will have you prepay for both games. They were going for gameplay style for their audience, not necessarily characterization. I'm sure they will be evenly matched story wise. If what I stated first does not happen, then watch someone play the game for the first few chapters, then make your decision on that.

Pokemon has two games that are similar, but FE14 isn't going for that. They were going for "which gameplay style does the player prefer" over "what aspect of the story does the player prefer". The two games are meant to be completely independent of one another because of the content in them both being so heavy and different. The choice was never an ingame feature regardless, so it isn't taking anything away from the player.

Keep in mind that I still intend on getting both versions, since I'm interested in seeing what both have to offer, but yeah, I see where you're coming from.

But you should, because they're nothing like Pokemon except in the very loose sense that there are two games coming out at the same time. If anything, you should compare them to the Zelda Oracle games: two separate entities with a lot of shared resources between them.

Comparing this to the oracles games I think is a much better comparison, I'd have to agree with that. When I said you shouldn't "discourage" people, I more meant you shouldn't just say they're flat out wrong. I mean, when it was announced that the game would be 2 versions, the first connection that I thought of was "Pokemon." A lot of people are going to come up with this connection. It'd be better to simply expand their idea by explaining to them that it's more similar to the Oracles games than Pokemon. Regardless, the connection is still there, and that's why people shouldn't feel discouraged for making it.

Maybe splitting FE: If into two games is how IS is trying to see what type of game is more popular among the fans? That way they know which way to proceed next?

That is actually a really good point that I haven't seen brought up yet. Could be IS testing the waters as to how they want to proceed with the franchise. Although consider that they might also be in a bind of pleasing both veterans and newcomers from here on out which could prove to be problematic from a developer standpoint but they seem to have set up modes and things to build off of.