Online Multiplayer: Tournaments? Metagame?

Jedi

Could also do no attack skills and no random critical hits allowed to reduce some randomness of a battle.

I don't think that reducing randomness by removing integral aspects of the game is a good idea. This isn't a game like advance wars where it can be entirely attributed to skill and strategy, and IMO, much of the skill of FE comes from how a player deals with the things the game throws at them through random chance. Also, certain weapons, skills, classes, etc. will become useless if those types of things are removed. Not to mention that everyone swinging around bronze weapons and javelins to prevent crits would be extremely boring. On the other hand, Lethality is particularly uncompetitive at a fundamental level and I personally feel should get the ban hammer.

I advocated for the "no skills" ruleset in the past, but after experimenting some more I'm not really convinced it does much to alleviate the core issue with this game. No matter what kind of rules or restrictions one implements, Fates PvP will remain a movement-creep game; an unfortunate consequence of not having Fog of War. Removing the obvious troublemakers like DLC skills/classes and Rescue is all fine and good until one realizes that without them the game becomes a stare-down with both sides being too scared to make the first move. To me the question is less "what can we do to help balance the game?" and more "do we want a blitzkrieg or some trench warfare?". We're in for some shit either way.

If there's a middle ground somewhere that doesn't overly complicate things to the point where no one's going to bother I'm not really sure what it is yet. =(

I second this^

Edited by cgRIPPER

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea.

I think focusing on Revelations mostly for the meta is the best idea since it would be too restrictive to adjust Revelations/Birthright against Conquest.

Statues are not the problem, since it allows more character customization, the problem is since that offensive is much more efficient than tanking usually there are no variations in the type of statues, if we take out the real bothersome things(Forging and Braves mostly) I think statues can contribute to add more dept to the meta, especially since tanking sets become usable instead of being just gimmicks, that way you could get screwed up if you focus on SPD statues mostly and go against a Wary Fighter team.

Unique Weapons aside from Yato are not that broken, especially since when capped a lot of the children have similar if not better stats than, IMO Kanna is the only thing that comes close to being too MU in brokeness.

Also I would be in favor to ban MU and Kanna if it were not for their dragon weakness, in a no brave/forging meta Wyrmslayers and Dragon Spirits will be more common IMO, they will be a high risk high reward unit.

I think Rainbow Tonics are fair game since they consume a turn, Battle Emblem would be fine on a no MU/Kana unit.

We should focus in how to make more styles playable instead of just banning everything, but there needs to be a tournament or something for testing, since even in Pokemon theorizing over something most of the time does not work until proven, especially regarding what is broken and not since that is subjective to how the meta develops.

Also Limit Mode is a no go as said previously, since it has more randomness unlike a capped meta where stats are more about planning and less about relying on the the RNG.

So the big question is, when can we begin? I am actually excited about doing something like this, seems much more fun than going on a random battle against someone with 5 Omega Yatos forged.

Edited by Roxachronc

I second the idea of a tournament. I would love to see a metagame develop around Fates, no matter how shitty I may be at Fire Emblem. I could definitely get a multiplayer file up and running soon, should we have a tournament get underway anytime soon. We should have a tournament, and organize a chat room for all of us to talk in. This would probably be the serenes chat.

So if we move forward with this tournament, what will our initial rules be?

It should be as basic as possible so that we get a good grasp on what breaks the meta. I personally would like to see each weapon have a forge cap in the long run, but initially forged weapons should probably be banned and we can loosen the reigns a bit if necessary as this develops.

I'd say for now, the bare bones rules should be:

- No forged items

- No Battle/Visitation Emblem

- No Lethality (as an autokill skill is slightly out of the spirit of a competitive game.)

and that should be it

Honestly a lethality ban isn't even necessary because so many reliable skills are able to ohko anyway

So if we move forward with this tournament, what will our initial rules be?

It should be as basic as possible so that we get a good grasp on what breaks the meta. I personally would like to see each weapon have a forge cap in the long run, but initially forged weapons should probably be banned and we can loosen the reigns a bit if necessary as this develops.

I think aside from Braves forging weapon to around +3 is acceptable, but for a quick ban is better to start with no forging so we can gradually adjust.

- No forged items

- No Lethality (as an autokill skill is slightly out of the spirit of a competitive game.)

and that should be it

I would add Warp, but overall that is a great way to start.

Also using a chatroom and organizing some matches even without a tournament would also help, gonna need to get my team ready.

Honestly a lethality ban isn't even necessary because so many reliable skills are able to ohko anyway

That is because the meta is only offensive focused, without forging tanking becomes viable and Lethality just screws over strategies because of how dependant on the RNG it is, it reminds me of Drill Horn/Fissure/Sheer Cold moves in pokemon.

Edited by Roxachronc

- No forged items

and that should be it

You wouldn't think it's necessary to say this, but just to cover our bases:

Let's add on "No unobtainable weapons/staves/skills." This means no beast skills or avatar skills on 1st gen units too.

Other than that, sounds good. When we gonna do this?

You wouldn't think it's necessary to say this, but just to cover our bases:

Let's add on "No unobtainable weapons/staves/skills." This means no beast skills or avatar skills on 1st gen units too.

Other than that, sounds good. When we gonna do this?

This is a good point.

I would be available this Saturday to organize a few fights if anyone is interested.