Red Ash: The Indelible Legend

Deviddo

logo_game.png

RED ASH is an opportunity to not only fulfill Keiji Inafune's desire to create a game that pays homage to Japanese animation, but also his vision of "immersing players in a freely explorable anime world." The RED ASH team is spearheaded by Art Director Kazushi Ito and Director Masahiro Yasuma, key members of the original team that pioneered open world game design with Mega Man Legends. With the RED ASH project, they aim to build an action adventure experience with a new level of freedom, complete with the polish expected from such veteran creators.

Sharp-eyed readers may notice that this project has inherited some of the DNA from our Mighty No. 9 project--specifically, the shared character names Beck and Call. We feel that this is an important part of the project: we're taking this opportunity to create an altogether different type of game together with the support of fans and backers. We want to continue embracing this new style of game design and production, challenges and risks included. With RED ASH, we hope to channel your passion for gaming into our creative process, and fulfill both our own dreams and the dreams of our fans around the world!

Introducing the game Keiji Inafune has wanted to make for a long time now! Another Mega Man Legends styled game! Basic story is this:

As a result of the Robot World War, humanity is driven to the brink of extinction. Humanity has managed to persevere and survive, battling now feral robotic weapons at every turn in a world of nothing but wasteland and ruins...

With the advent of Lost Technology, precious legacies of a forgotten era, they have managed to rebuild their society. A wealthy class has emerged, helping to expand these newly formed cities and settlements and living in opulence as a result.

However, their livelihoods are supported by the brave fools who hunt the dangerous ruins and wastelands for Lost Technology. These people are known simply as Delvers.

Kickstarter Page

And if you're interested, there's even a page for an anime adaption

Personally, this is really exciting for me. I've always loved Mega Man Legends, it being my favorite of all the different Mega Man games. I was heartbroken when Legends 3 was cancelled, so a game inspired by it's setting is something I can really get behind, especially since it's by the creator of the original Mega Man, and by the original creator of Mega Man Legends, Keiji Inafune.

I've spoken my spiels on this on other sites and forums, so condensed version of my thoughts; "1; It's too soon to be asking for crowdfunding (twice over) since you're first game isn't even out yet. 2; the excuse used that it's to keep the team together is flawed because only pre-pro people would be benefiting at the moment. 3; Inafune has lost too much good will to realistically expect the same amount of praise and support that he got in Mn9, especially since again; he has no projects out under his new moniker."...and I forget the last one, something about Comcept as a whole...

I'm going to echo my opinions from my comments on other sites.

Quite frankly, the kickstarter was launched way too early; it should've waited until after Mighty No. 9 was released (or instead used the money generated by MN9).

In addition, Inafune's reputation has steadily gone southward, what with his numerous agreements with other companies turning Mighty No. 9 into a franchise per-release; quite ironic that people can be sick of a product that's not even out yet. The Studio 4C collab right off the bat is making people wary of Red Ash.

And that's only compounded by peoples' grumbles about the beta; some say it's too similiar to Mega Man and there's nothing special or stand-out about it.

Peoples' opinion of Inafune can be summed up in this quote: "He's a businessman, not a creator." The blatant Legends parallels with Red Ash don't help him out here.

Anyways, what do I see happening? The campaign will fail and the project will vanish before reappearing, heavily overhauled, as an actual game being announced alongside a publisher.

Anyway, I think the KS will probably

Actually I can see what some of your are saying, he really should've waited until Mighty No. 9 was out and reviewed and whatnot before getting his team to work on something else.

Not to mention that the amount he's trying to fund is pretty steep.

Regardless, the Legends fan in me desperately wants to see this succeed.

In addition to waiting, Inafune should have been a bit more held back. Asking for money to make a full blown ANIME as well AS A SEPARATE KS?! OMG Inafune. I love Mega Man, and MN9 looks great, but given some of the drama surrounding MN9 and this KS, it's starting to appear a bit egotistical. It's going to be a failure, but a necessary lesson

If you have the Unity webplayer (which I don't), you can play a mock-up in your browser!

Have fun kicking a can as Beck with red highlights.

($450,000; five days to go. Desperate, much?)

EDIT:

FUZE is funding Red Ash now; the KS is just for extra content.

Edited by The DanMan

So they've added Xbone to the list of ports but no Wii U yet...I wonder if the deal with Fuze will also cover the animation adaptation or if that's going to founder and be dropped.

If anything the anime is going to succeed and the game fail. The anime is closer to its base goal than the main game. They both need to fail so they can reevulate the project and bring it back with a much stronger focus and better PR next time.

Edited by North888

If anything the anime is going to succeed and the game fail. The anime is closer to its base goal than the main game. They both need to fail so they can reevulate the project and bring it back with a much stronger focus and better PR next time.

Haven't you heard? The game's not failing. The Chinese publisher FUZE picked it up; the KS is now for DLC (no, I did not stutter). In addition, the "main goal" for the anime is actually only for a couple minutes of footage.

Haven't you heard? The game's not failing. The Chinese publisher FUZE picked it up; the KS is now for DLC (no, I did not stutter). In addition, the "main goal" for the anime is actually only for a couple minutes of footage.

Wow. Why even fund for the anime then? It sounds like a ripoff.

Wow. Why even fund for the anime then? It sounds like a ripoff.

*shrugs*

The final "stretch goal" is $2.5 million for "feature film" length.

Edited by The DanMan