Surprising Supports

Thane

I found it pleasant and the fact they have diferent supports each route ,once again sue me n_n

You found their supports surprising because they're pleasant? (I'm somewhat surprised there are alt supports myself, I think only PoR has done that otherwise.)Did you think Aqua was mean or something? AquaxKamui was pretty much what I was expecting, not that that is a bad thing or a good thing.

I'm not asking why you like the pair, you realize this, yes?

Edited by L95

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MAMUI x ASYURA

I'll just copy/paste from the gamefaqs topic i made because it is really bothering me.

http://pastebin.com/YfdAGMFD

Ok, so Asura just... gives up on rebuilding his homeland based on a document Marx gave to Kamui but its fake??? It's suggested that Marx forged the document, as if it were related to a certain plot point, but then the support just... ends. As in the literal last line of the support is Kamui questioning the document's authenticity. And this convo can occur in the Hoshido route too which just raises another question on how Kamui got the document in the first place if he and Marx were enemies. It's not even alluded to in the Femui support, that one's completely independent of any other in the game. Explain pls???

MAMUI x ASYURA

I'll just copy/paste from the gamefaqs topic i made because it is really bothering me.

Ok, so Asura just... gives up on rebuilding his homeland based on a document Marx gave to Kamui but its fake??? It's suggested that Marx forged the document, as if it were related to a certain plot point, but then the support just... ends. As in the literal last line of the support is Kamui questioning the document's authenticity. And this convo can occur in the Hoshido route too which just raises another question on how Kamui got the document in the first place if he and Marx were enemies. It's not even alluded to in the Femui support, that one's completely independent of any other in the game. Explain pls???

It really barely makes a lick of sense uh?

The only explanation I can give on the document being apparently fake is that the game makes a point that Nohr CANNOT do anything good for anyone, which is what the A support implied a bit... and then the document may be fake?

And in Hoshido is the same so on top of it being fake it comes from a nonsensical source?

Dear lord what even are some aspects of this game.

MAMUI x ASYURA

http://pastebin.com/YfdAGMFDOk, so Asura just... gives up on rebuilding his homeland based on a document Marx gave to Kamui but its fake??? It's suggested that Marx forged the document, as if it were related to a certain plot point, but then the support just... ends. As in the literal last line of the support is Kamui questioning the document's authenticity. And this convo can occur in the Hoshido route too which just raises another question on how Kamui got the document in the first place if he and Marx were enemies. It's not even alluded to in the Femui support, that one's completely independent of any other in the game. Explain pls???

This support is really strange, it's all over the place...

By the way is the person who translated this reliable?

Because honestly the context of the support seem weird, as if it's missing something or incomplete, which is why I think the translator got something wrong.

MAMUI x ASYURA

It really barely makes a lick of sense uh?

The only explanation I can give on the document being apparently fake is that the game makes a point that Nohr CANNOT do anything good for anyone, which is what the A support implied a bit... and then the document may be fake?

And in Hoshido is the same so on top of it being fake it comes from a nonsensical source?

Dear lord what even are some aspects of this game.

This support is really strange, it's all over the place...

By the way is the person who translated this reliable?

Because honestly the context of the support seem weird, as if it's missing something or incomplete, which is why I think the translator got something wrong.

I did a skim through of the original text and, while the C was mostly on the mark (I think, I can only really roughly understand Japanese but), B and A diverges significantly. in the actual text it was just something about rebuilding his country and fallen to thievery, with absolute no mention of Nohr whatsover. Definitely no Marx.

I mean hell Aqua's the only one with the route-specific support (and it's IK anyway) and Marx is definitely not showing up to give you documents in the Hoshido path, for one.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I did a skim through of the original text and, while the C was mostly on the mark (I think, I can only really roughly understand Japanese but), B and A diverges significantly. in the actual text it was just something about rebuilding his country and fallen to thievery, with absolute no mention of Nohr whatsover. Definitely no Marx.

I mean hell Aqua's the only one with the route-specific support (and it's IK anyway) and Marx is definitely not showing up to give you documents in the Hoshido path, for one.

Yep, B and A are totally incorrect. In B Asura just says that even if he rebuilds his country, it's pointless if the people are gone, but even if he can't fulfill his dream he'll stay with Kamui anyway. No mention of kidnapping royalty. And then Asura's the one who leaves to avoid talking about the topic any more.

And for A, Kamui's just reassuring Asura that though the country no longer exists, he carries the will of Kouga within him, so the country isn't entirely destroyed, and encourages Asura not to give up on his dream and says that he'll help as well.

No documents mentioned at all- I don't even see Nohr being mentioned once.

Well I suppose for one, I'm honestly pleasantly surprised at how well they handled the same-sex S-Supports for Zero and Shara, it didn't come off as badly as I thought it would. Anyways aside from that I really liked Lazwald/Pieri for explaining Pieri's backstory with Lazwald of all people, Kaze/Luna was pretty nice but the ending left me feelsy, still a great support though. Aqua/Harold was a pretty big surprise and is now one of my favorite supports currently.

Aside from that, I've found some of the Hoshido royal's supports to be a bit boring if anything, only exceptions that come to mind are Asama/Hinoka and Takumi/Oboro but that's literally it.

I'm not sure what I was expecting from Camilla/Takumi but it was pretty funny I guess.

Felicia/Pieri was... uh... what the fuck. I knew Pieri was fucked up but I didn't expect her to practically commit treason (She tries to kill Felicia in their A SUPPORT)

Well I suppose for one, I'm honestly pleasantly surprised at how well they handled the same-sex S-Supports for Zero and Shara, it didn't come off as badly as I thought it would. Anyways aside from that I really liked Lazwald/Pieri for explaining Pieri's backstory with Lazwald of all people, Kaze/Luna was pretty nice but the ending left me feelsy, still a great support though. Aqua/Harold was a pretty big surprise and is now one of my favorite supports currently.

Aside from that, I've found some of the Hoshido royal's supports to be a bit boring if anything, only exceptions that come to mind are Asama/Hinoka and Takumi/Oboro but that's literally it.

Try Leo/Takumi. It's the most romantic support in the game.

Felicia/Pieri was... uh... what the fuck. I knew Pieri was fucked up but I didn't expect her to practically commit treason (She tries to kill Felicia in their A SUPPORT)

Yeah, Pieri is a mess when it comes to supports, which is why I'm baffled by the amount of people who like her support with Lazward just because it's her least offensive one. They treat her wanting to murder people so lightly, almost as if the game goes "oh that little rapscallion!". If she were interesting, sure, but she's a little child that loves to kill and that's more or less it; I can't stand her.

Try Leo/Takumi. It's the most romantic support in the game.

Yeah, Pieri is a mess when it comes to supports, which is why I'm baffled by the amount of people who like her support with Lazward just because it's her least offensive one. They treat her wanting to murder people so lightly, almost as if the game goes "oh that little rapscallion!". If she were interesting, sure, but she's a little child that loves to kill and that's more or less it; I can't stand her.

Okay I admit I was not expecting Leo/Takumi to end up in a complete bromance, I'll be damned. That was a funny read.

So I just read Kinu/Kamui and it was...interesting.

Kinu: I like killing!

Kamui: Don't do that.

Kinu: Why?

Kamui: Because I said so, and it's bad.

Kinu: Okay, but only because I like it when you praise me! Want to eat some bird?

Kamui: I have a better idea, let's get married!

I mean...what? Why? How?

So I just read Kinu/Kamui and it was...interesting.

Kinu: I like killing!

Kamui: Don't do that.

Kinu: Why?

Kamui: Because I said so, and it's bad.

Kinu: Okay, but only because I like it when you praise me! Want to eat some bird?

Kamui: I have a better idea, let's get married!

I mean...what? Why? How?

Between this and everything about Pieri it's honestly starting to feel like the support writers really don't get that a desire to go around killing random people is actually a really bad thing and not some harmless personality quirk.

Edited by capmalachi

Between this and everything about Pieri it's honestly starting to feel like the support writers really don't get that a desire to go around killing random people is actually a really bad thing and not some harmless personality quirk.

"Oh, you wacky kids and your insatiable bloodlust!"

Well, it's not like Henry was any better, and this game is basically Awakening 2.0.

The writers pretty much want extreme personal traits and quirks so you'll know how the characters are from the get-go, and of course they have no qualms with writing serial killers, because

1) These characters don't exist.

2) It's an easy character trait to give and to write.

I mean, at least the other characters in the game react badly to it or want to help them. Like with Pieri and Lazward' support, or Olivia and Henry's, but it still is bad writing :/

Well, it's not like Henry was any better, and this game is basically Awakening 2.0.

The writers pretty much want extreme personal traits and quirks so you'll know how the characters are from the get-go, and of course they have no qualms with writing serial killers, because

1) These characters don't exist.

2) It's an easy character trait to give and to write.

I mean, at least the other characters in the game react badly to it or want to help them. Like with Pieri and Lazward' support, or Olivia and Henry's, but it still is bad writing :/

I don't agree with you. First of all, Henry (the English version of him, I haven't played the Japanese version) is written with a GREAT deal more humor, which stands in stark contrast to Pieri just repeating the same lines over and over again with little variation. There's also a difference in how other's approach their amorality, and how they react to being ordered. For instance, when Robin tells Henry they're not going to sacrifice innocent people to win a war, Henry agrees immediately, although he says the line between letting innocents die and killing enemies seems arbitrary to him.

When Leo orders Pieri not to leave the camp to look for a random person to slaughter, she calls him a meanie

This leads to another important distinction between them: Henry loves fighting, blood and gore, rather than just killing people at random. It may seem like I'm splitting hairs, but like I just said, Pieri seriously said that she was going out to kill someone for fun, which is something Henry would never do; he mostly fights Risen, and innocent people are acceptable sacrifices, but not fucking potential murder victims for his enjoyment. He also doesn't cover himself in blood to become "pretty"; he just thinks it's cool.

There's also the fact that while both are very young, Pieri is portrayed as far more childish to the point of coming across as mentally disabled rather than a psycho. She loves being praised, can't use formal Japanese speech and so on. This of course makes her comments about her having large breasts even more uncomfortable, but I digress.

Say what you will about Awakening's writing, but you can't compare Henry and Pieri and say they're the same, they simply are not.

I don't agree with you. First of all, Henry (the English version of him, I haven't played the Japanese version) is written with a GREAT deal more humor, which stands in stark contrast to Pieri just repeating the same lines over and over again with little variation. There's also a difference in how other's approach their amorality, and how they react to being ordered. For instance, when Robin tells Henry they're not going to sacrifice innocent people to win a war, Henry agrees immediately, although he says the line between letting innocents die and killing enemies seems arbitrary to him.

When Leo orders Pieri not to leave the camp to look for a random person to slaughter, she calls him a meanie

This leads to another important distinction between them: Henry loves fighting, blood and gore, rather than just killing people at random. It may seem like I'm splitting hairs, but like I just said, Pieri seriously said that she was going out to kill someone for fun, which is something Henry would never do; he mostly fights Risen, and innocent people are acceptable sacrifices, but not fucking potential murder victims for his enjoyment. He also doesn't cover himself in blood to become "pretty"; he just thinks it's cool.

There's also the fact that while both are very young, Pieri is portrayed as far more childish to the point of coming across as mentally disabled rather than a psycho. She loves being praised, can't use formal Japanese speech and so on. This of course makes her comments about her having large breasts even more uncomfortable, but I digress.

Say what you will about Awakening's writing, but you can't compare Henry and Pieri and say they're the same, they simply are not.

*slow clap*

Also in defense of Henry, he has a conversation with Kellam in the DLC, where he is adamant that he DOES have a set of moral guidelines, but he admits they're a bit off.

So I read Hinoka/Asama. I expected the usual Retainer/Master support where the master picks a topic at random and then the Retainer speaks with them about it while kissing as much ass as possible.

As you can see by the fact that I'm writing this now, that didn't happen. Twas pretty funny and a bit deep. Asama is quickly becoming my favorite character

Edited by Soapbar

Regarding Henry, almost all the humor was added by the localization.

But then I wonder: is Pieri's character done for humor and laughs?? The supports I've read did not come across as humorous. To me it seems they wanted to create a scarred, traumatized, murderous character with a tragic backstory for the fans of such things, not because it would be funny. Same thing with Japanese Henry.

Still, I expect that there must be some supports where her "Lolol Ima kill somebody/Ima do something weird and unsettling!" is played off with the gag music in the background, JUST like with Henry.

Also what's the difference between being covered in blood to be pretty or to be cool?? Henry is sick and twisted too, he still enjoys ripping people apart with his magic, in fact, he would've no qualms to kill everyone in the army to make Tharja happy in their S support. Still, I won't object to the fact that Pieri is much worse than Henry.

Pieri is definitely worse than Henry, she is him, but taken up to the eleven; the principle, the base of their character, is the same, imo: the weirdo, with a creepy laughter and a tragic backstory, who enjoys killing. They are both too childish for their own age, they have warped senses of reality and twisted moral guidelines. They are not the same, but they are similar and I can't help but be reminded of Henry when I read Pieri' supports.

Why I think it's bad writing?? Because in some supports it's inevitable that these exaggerated quirks are going to be played for laughs or these characters are going to sound stupid and/or offensive. Their character floats around a major trait that's gonna be redundant. I think this is a bad choice, character wise, even if I enjoyed some of Henry's and Pieri' supports.

True. So I guess it's comparing apples and oranges to compare Pieri to the localized Henry just now...

I guess we have to judge and see how localized Pieri will be like, but I don't think it's so far fetched to compare them :/ Besides, I do know how Japanese Henry is like, and he is less humorous than his American counterpart, but much more childish too.

But then I wonder: is Pieri's character done for humor and laughs?? The supports I've read did not come across as humorous. To me it seems they wanted to create a scarred, traumatized, murderous character with a tragic backstory for the fans of such things, not because it would be funny. Same thing with Japanese Henry.

Still, I expect that there must be some supports where her "Lolol Ima kill somebody/Ima do something weird and unsettling!" is played off with the gag music in the background, JUST like with Henry.

Also what's the difference between being covered in blood to be pretty or to be cool?? Henry is sick and twisted too, he still enjoys ripping people apart with his magic, in fact, he would've no qualms to kill everyone in the army to make Tharja happy in their S support. Still, I won't object to the fact that Pieri is much worse than Henry.

Pieri is definitely worse than Henry, she is him, but taken up to the eleven; the principle, the base of their character, is the same, imo: the weirdo, with a creepy laughter and a tragic backstory, who enjoys killing. They are both too childish for their own age, they have warped senses of reality and twisted moral guidelines. They are not the same, but they are similar and I can't help but be reminded of Henry when I read Pieri' supports.

Why I think it's bad writing?? Because in some supports it's inevitable that these exaggerated quirks are going to be played for laughs or these characters are going to sound stupid and/or offensive. Their character floats around a major trait that's gonna be redundant. I think this is a bad choice, character wise, even if I enjoyed some of Henry's and Pieri' supports.

I guess we have to judge and see how localized Pieri will be like, but I don't think it's so far fetched to compare them :/ Besides, I do know how Japanese Henry is like, and he is less humorous than his American counterpart, but much more childish too.

Yeah I can see where you're coming from. They are SIMILAR, definitely.. Really curious as to how localization will handle her supports.