Lantairu

Which name is better, Maph or Imhullu

Maph vs. Imhullu  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Maph or Imhullu?

• Maph
    • Imhullu

'Hullu' is 'insane' in Finnish so that one has always sounded like shoddy Finglish to my ears. That's probably why I prefer it as well.

I didn't know that this was when I looked at this topic, and though that Maph sounded like a better character name. But Imhullu is definitely way better for a Dark Magic spell.

This is one of those situations that shows how important it is to localize a game as well as just translating it (which is what annoys me when people prioritize correct kangi pronunciations above all else). Both words technically mean a similar thing, but imhulu sounds much better to the English-speaking ear. Heck, it even sounds similar to "null" which is what that tome does.

Edited by sirmola

imhullu. it's not even a contest. mafu loses most of its meaning outside of japanese and doesn't sound particularly ominous, but imhullu? this is what the refrance aside, the word just oozes evil. magnificent

I was not aware of this; this makes me like the "Imhullu" localization a lot more actually. Originally I thought it and Maph were both just nonsense words made up to sound all scary and arcane and magicky, but the reality is actually pretty neat!

I learned something today.

Edited by Topaz Light

I'm generaly a sucker for the original namings, but damn, Imhullu sounds dark, evil, threatening, cthuluesque, cool. Maph just sounds plain and boring.

Edited by B.Leu

Maph its just easier for me to pronounce.

Yeah that is true, but to me it just sounds corny, I don't know. Imhullu sounds more like the name of a tome to me than Maph.

I like the name Imhullu better because it sounds demonic. Maph sounds too similar to math (and is also a letter different from math).

EDIT: I realize this actually isn't a new topic and that I posted in it before and now I feel stupid oops.

Feel free to delete this post.

Edited by Topaz Light