Help with Fedtior Battle Animations

Bloodfox1998

So I'm trying to add additional battle animations and classes to a FE7 hack I'm working on, but I can't seem to figure out how to add more slots in FEditor for battle animations, and more Slots in Nightmare for Classes. I was able to expand the size of the rom to 32 mb in a hex editor, but can't seem to utilize the new space I created. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm not 100% sure but I read that its a bad idea to immediately expand all the way to 32 mbs on your ROM. If someone else could verify this, that would be great. I've been working on my hack for a little over a year and I still haven't had the need to expand to 32 mbs yet.

With that said, all you need to do is use FEditor and keep upping the max index in the animation manager as you keep adding more animations, that's all there is to adding animations. Make sure you have only one program open at a time and save your animation after every insert before adding more.

The second part is pretty much called expanding and repointing.

http://feuniverse.us/t/repointing-tutorial/584

And to be able to access those additional slots, look for the corresponding notepad file in the nightmare folders, which should usually be in the same folder as the module.

This one also helps: http://feuniverse.us/t/expanding-relocating-data-arrays/29

So after reading through the tutorials I tried expanding my item table to test if the process worked. I found my item table in the rom and copied it onto what i presume is empty space (It was a bunch of FF s after the other data) at offset 0107B0E0 from blocks 107B0E0 to 107C73B. Everything went well until i tried to do the part with the finding and replacing the pointer. I put in the search value as the begining offset for the item table in little endian, and i tried to enter my new offset in little endian for the replace. After replacing the pointer, I tested my rom and found that the rom crashed whenever I tried to go to and screen with items on it. I think I may have made my offset into little endian wrong. (I entered e0b00701 as my replacement value) Any suggestions?

your error might be because of the free space you chose. never assume the location of free space, its something i go by and nothing has ever went wrong yet. i dont know whether or not the space you used is indeed all free spaces or just some of it is.

the known free spaces: http://feuniverse.us/t/free-space-ranges/112

try using 00D00000 this time with the same steps you taken and it should work. and should it work, be sure to make note of where you repoint things so there won't be some giant headache in the future if something messes up. also make sure you have "hex value" in datatype selected and "all" in search direction checked before you hit "replace all". and one more thing is, make sure you leave room under the repointed item table before adding more data. (the proper reverse erdian in this case would be 2C22BE08 (original item table is 08BE222C) and 0000D008 (new location is 08D00000).

a good way to see how big your expanded table is, would be to use the select block function (ctrl + e) in HxD. note that the 00 and FFs that are highlighted is the expanded portion of your array table. of course, this is assuming you repointed to an empty section of the ROM, if you didn't, you can begin to imagine how hard it would be to differentiate between important data and your repointed table.

Edited by Rickochet

the offsets he's using are 100% definitely free; that's expanded space

at least for FEditor battle animations, have you tried just increasing the "max index" in the battle animation viewer?

edit:

also, you're not reversing right

to change offset 0x0107B0E0 into a pointer, first you add 0x08000000 to it, giving you 0x0907B0E0.

Next, you split it into chunks of two digits each:

09 07 B0 E0

Finally, you flip the order of each of these chunks

E0 B0 07 09

Make sense? you missed the first step

Edited by CT075

So I just tried using the space at offset 00D00000, and it seemed to work until I loaded a save and checked some peoples items. I was able to check the units weapons, but everything had the icon for an iron sword and was either named Div, avoid or was simply blank. Like CT075 said, I was pretty sure i was using space from when I expanded the rom. As for the thing with "max index" in FEditor for the animations, wouldn't increasing the max index for storing animations overflow into other data in the rom? Granted I'm not really too knowledgeable on this kind of stuff.

EDIT: So I decided to redo the process of moving the pointer, and while it didn't work for the couple of files i had saved from prior tests, everything seemed to work fine when I started a new file. Huh. Thanks for the help guys!

Edited by Bloodfox1998