enumerate a good characteristic of each important FE Enemy

Gharnef: The scene may have been in a remake decades after his creation but I think Gharneff's send off to Eremiya was quite good.

Alvis: With a troubled but loving relation with his brother, true love for a woman he doesn't know is his sister until its to late, the desire to have no one be persecuted and living long enough to see all his accomplishment fall apart I think Alvis is very sympathetic while giving the player enough reasons to hate him. I also think Alvis is pretty unique as far as well intented extremists go. Just about every one of them is taken down by the heroes but Alvis actually succeeds in his plans and both the narrator and Levin point out that it was a golden era before the lopt started proving to Alvis that some people should just be burned at the stake after all.

Veld: Um...eh...um....I got nothing.

Zephiel: The king of Bern has a FANTASTIC battle sprite.

Nergal: Out of all the villains in the series Nergal easily has the most personal relation with the heroes. Before Nergal neither Gharnef, Medeus, Alvis, Manfroy, Veld nor Zephiel appeared all that often. They often remained in their castles, far removed from the heroes so none can be said to have a very personal relation to their enemy. Nergal isn't like that. The heroes encounter him pretty soon and after that encounter him plenty of times throughout the story or witness the result of his actions. Nergal at one point even specifically comes to mock them after he brings them a tragedy. The lords know Nergal and hate him very much.

Lyon: I think its a very nice touch how his personality change depending on the route you pick.

The Black Knight: With his theme song, personal relation with Ike and frequent encounters where he sticks it to both Ike AND the player if they aren't careful BK certainly has a big presence.

Validar: I'm not sure whether its intentional or not but being so incompetent at least gives him something to differentiate himself from the other ''MUHAHA DARK MAGIC!'' mages.

Garon: He's got a pretty amazing design.

Gharnef: The product of Gotoh's mistake. When someone goes about something the wrong way, it could turn them into the very thing you wanted to prevent. Gharnef is a cautionary tale, one almost repeated by Wendell, but stopped by Wendell before Ellrean did something as drastic as Gharnef.

Rudolf: Progressive by trying to separate church and state, something most leaders in other FEs would not dare do. Also had a good relationship with his son in the last minutes of his life.

Hardin: Hardin had nothing to do with anything that happened in FE3, at least in the context of who he was before being corrupted by Sable.

Arvis: He unilaterally ended the rivalry between Crusaders, both with his purge of all the Grannvale houses and by way of Seliph's army. Remember that he ordered Tyrfing to be given to Seliph, regardless of where he used it.

Raydrick: Rather nihilistic in regards to the fact he saw that even if Manster had defeated Thracia, they wouldn't be able to defeat Grannvale. Doesn't excuse any of what he did, but he probably saved a lot of people from Grannvale, especially Freege.

Zephiel: Play FE7. That is all.

Nergal: Achieved his goal, although short-lived, and managed to delay a continental war by failing to stall his foes.

Lyon: A necromancer that doesn't have to directly puppeteer his thrall. Also, he at least got to die happy.

Ashnard: At least he's a human villain with human goals.

Lehran:Just misguided, and then realized he was wrong about everything.

Validar: Only Riev is less relatable and more evil, and the former is leagues more competent. Didn't help that Chrom allowed himself to be exposed in order to further Robin's plan to fool the Grimleal.

I only know of some of the more recent so my list will be pretty short.

Ashnard: My favorite villian in the entire franchise so far, and one of my favorites of all time up there with the likes of Handsome Jack, Sephiroth, Malthael and a few others. First off his design is one of the absolute best in the series. His armor is scary, yet regal. His sword looks really cool, and like it would do some damage. He had a motivation behind it all that, while still very clearly evil, didnt feel so one dimensional and like what you would see on a cartoon. He was also a very menacing and intimidating villian, and I actually felt a bit of fear when he first flew done from the platform, because I knew he was a badass, and that I was in for a hell of a fight.

Black Knight: one of the biggest things the Black Knight has going for him is that he had two whole games to really build him up. Yes, you defeated him in PoR, but we didnt know his full story and motivations. In Radiant Dawn we had the previlage of being on both sides of the story with him, getting to both use him, and fight him. It created a bitter sweet situation when you had your final fight with him as you had seen him as your enemy, but also as an ally that you felt ease wash over you when he teleported in at the moments you most needed him. He also had reasonable motivations, and a back story that made him interesting. That and once again, one of the absolute best designs in the series.

Ashera: Unfortunately for her, we dont have a lot of information about her. One of the things I did like is that she had the more neutral aspects of Law and Order that is typically depicted as all around good. Her judgement was completely blind to a fault, not seeing the good in situations and while understandably angry with the races of Tellius, she also was judging as a whole rather than by individual, with the people serving her causing the problems for the most part. her situation was interesting, and could of supported an entire game of her own. Maybe we will get a prequel to Tellius one day regarding the first fight with her.

This is where things fall apart a bit.

Validar: Ive got nothing for this guy. He was flat, he had nothing interesting about him, I in no way felt in any sort of danger fighting this guy, and his design was weird and pretty stupid. They even tried to go with the whole Black Knight endgame fight from Radiant Dawn with him, but failed at that, since he was a mage, which is not known for their physical capabilities. Seriously, what kind of wizard in his right mind locks himself in with a fighter and another wizard to fight on his own with no way out? That was pretty dumb.

Grima: Once again, I really have nothing. I would of liked to see him take more after Robin for the fight, like literally be a copy of what your robin was in the fight which would of made it 10x harder. His Dragon design was cool though, very reminiscent of Black Dragons from DnD.

Garon: His design is cool, and he had the capacity to be a really cool bad guy with some interesting motivations, but thats not how it turned out in the end. Thats all I got on him.