Do You Think Nintendo/ INTSYS Will Do Multiple Releases Again?

Truthblade

Do You Think They Will Do This Again?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think so?

• Yes
    • No
    • I am not sure.
  2. 2. Wouould you like it if they did continue this trend?

• Yes
    • No
    • I am not sure.
    • Indifferent

I fail to see what that has to do with anything. You're never encouraged to buy both versions of Pokémon since they're virtually identical; Fates is not.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, there are many reasons as to why the route split in Fates failed; Revelation just happened to be the biggest offender. If Intelligent Systems did the same thing again, I'd have very little confidence in their ability to pull it off given their track record, and I don't think they want to go down that route again since it'll feel like they're just copying Fates, but who knows, maybe their dollar signs in front of their eyes are clouding their judgement.

Of course, if there were only two routes, it'd be much easier to develop and they could focus more on showing the consequences of whatever hypothetical choice you'd have to make, I'm not arguing against that, but I still think they should focus on making one large game instead.

Its mostly people complaining because they think they are entitled to the whole package and don't bother reading or looking for the reason why its split like that. We still have people complaining about Fates split path saying that its just a cheap gimmick to make some quick bucks by Nintendo, when the games are very clearly different from each other. The gaming community as a while loves complaining about things that are extra or not included in our games. For example we throw fits about DLC being announced before or right after a game is released, but what we dont understand is often times that DLC is content that wasnt going to be finished in time, or wasnt able to be packaged on the disc/download, so they sell it later when it is finished as DLC. Nothing wrong with that, the studio/development company makes some extra money, and we get access to something that was not going to make it as opposed to the past where things were cut out that werent going to be finished and never saw the light of day. Like the extra playable character in Final Fantasy 7, or some unfinished levels hidden in the code of Super Mario Bros.

I agree, one large game would be the best option. My biggest problem with Fates was it seemed to be finished too fast. It had the same amount of chapters as Awakening, but it also lacked the same amount of dialogue and script. So many times the dialogue was lacking, especially in some of the most important parts. Why wasnt Kaze a larger part in Conquest when you are invading Hoshido? Why do the two families have barely any interaction with each other in Revelations? I would actually say Awakening had more chapters than Fates since you cant really count the first 5 chapters as full chapters considering they can all be skipped when you start a new game.

I don't trust IS to write a good story for any game at the moment until there are talks or news about IS hiring new writers and letting go of the old ones. Even then I would be a little wary, but at least it would be a new team.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its mostly people complaining because they think they are entitled to the whole package and don't bother reading or looking for the reason why its split like that. We still have people complaining about Fates split path saying that its just a cheap gimmick to make some quick bucks by Nintendo, when the games are very clearly different from each other. The gaming community as a while loves complaining about things that are extra or not included in our games. For example we throw fits about DLC being announced before or right after a game is released, but what we dont understand is often times that DLC is content that wasnt going to be finished in time, or wasnt able to be packaged on the disc/download, so they sell it later when it is finished as DLC. Nothing wrong with that, the studio/development company makes some extra money, and we get access to something that was not going to make it as opposed to the past where things were cut out that werent going to be finished and never saw the light of day. Like the extra playable character in Final Fantasy 7, or some unfinished levels hidden in the code of Super Mario Bros.

I agree, one large game would be the best option. My biggest problem with Fates was it seemed to be finished too fast. It had the same amount of chapters as Awakening, but it also lacked the same amount of dialogue and script. So many times the dialogue was lacking, especially in some of the most important parts. Why wasnt Kaze a larger part in Conquest when you are invading Hoshido? Why do the two families have barely any interaction with each other in Revelations? I would actually say Awakening had more chapters than Fates since you cant really count the first 5 chapters as full chapters considering they can all be skipped when you start a new game.

I don't trust IS to write a good story for any game at the moment until there are talks or news about IS hiring new writers and letting go of the old ones. Even then I would be a little wary, but at least it would be a new team.

So how many chapters would you like for a decent FE game? I wouldn't mind some chapters that were split up into segments like in PoR where one chapter had at least 4 segments that had to be completed in order to finish said chapter.

So how many chapters would you like for a decent FE game? I wouldn't mind some chapters that were split up into segments like in PoR where one chapter had at least 4 segments that had to be completed in order to finish said chapter.

I think Radiant Dawn/Path of Radiance are the ideal amount of chapters and structure. It gave a lengthy feel to the game, but didnt feel like it dragged on. Somewhere around 30-40 would be the best imo. I actually loved Radiant Dawn's structure the most of the series, having different parts and arcs in the story made it feel a lot longer and it was fun not knowing who you were going to be using next. (Though the Dawn Brigade really needed a few more chapters to play through since they were so far behind when you get to using them again.)

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, there are many reasons as to why the route split in Fates failed; Revelation just happened to be the biggest offender. If Intelligent Systems did the same thing again, I'd have very little confidence in their ability to pull it off given their track record, and I don't think they want to go down that route again since it'll feel like they're just copying Fates, but who knows, maybe their dollar signs in front of their eyes are clouding their judgement.

While Revelation is certainly a big offender of diluting the plot of the first two routes, the story was just not well considered in general. The routes gave the impression of a larger narrative but after trimming the fat, there would barely be enough plot to fill a single game, let alone three. Revelation, supposedly the definitive story segment of Fates, can be summarized in a single sentence and the other routes aren't much better.

In other words, IS can hype their story ambitions all they like but I don't want three games that had 30% effort put into them.

I think Radiant Dawn/Path of Radiance are the ideal amount of chapters and structure. It gave a lengthy feel to the game, but didnt feel like it dragged on. Somewhere around 30-40 would be the best imo. I actually loved Radiant Dawn's structure the most of the series, having different parts and arcs in the story made it feel a lot longer and it was fun not knowing who you were going to be using next. (Though the Dawn Brigade really needed a few more chapters to play through since they were so far behind when you get to using them again.)

I was referring to Path of Radiance Chapter 17 which was split up into four segments where you had some very annoying enemies (long range tome users with Meteor on the final part combined with Poison Weapons to make you mad if those enemies actually hit you) and each part had to be completed in order to finish the chapter entirely. If another FE installment had a few chapters like PoR Chapter 17, that would be fun since while it has the same issues as RV Chapter 16-17 and the Chapter 27-Endgame in each path where you can't save, at least you don't have to worry about not being able to save in between chapters as you are already in a chapter.

While Revelation is certainly a big offender of diluting the plot of the first two routes, the story was just not well considered in general. The routes gave the impression of a larger narrative but after trimming the fat, there would barely be enough plot to fill a single game, let alone three. Revelation, supposedly the definitive story segment of Fates, can be summarized in a single sentence and the other routes aren't much better.

In other words, IS can hype their story ambitions all they like but I don't want three games that had 30% effort put into them.

Right, that's what I was saying...I think? Or are you agreeing with me? Regardless, yes, we're of the same opinion.

The contrived story and lackluster general writing seems to make people forget just how much padding there is in the game. It's not a first in the series nor will it be the last, but there are so many chapters that are just...there, and entire subplots go on for far too long, like when you're trying to find Takumi and Ryouma.

Edited by Thane

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I feel that a Jugdral remake could take advantage of two routes (regardless of whether they're released as two separate games or not).

On one route, Gen 1 has Sigurd as the main Lord and Gen 2 has Seliph.

On the other route, Gen 1 has Quan as the main Lord and Gen 2 has Leif.

Sigurd/Seliph would pretty much be FE4's story and maps played straight (albeit adapted to more current, traditionally designed maps). While Quan/Leif has some new maps during Gen 1 (Quan, Ethlyn and Finn running into bandits prior to first meeting Sigurd, some maps later when they leave Silesse, and it ends with the tragedy at Yied Desert) and Gen 2 is mostly FE5's maps.

Then we get the 3rd route as DLC with Finn as the main Lord on both gens.

This sounds amazing.

On topic, I would easily spend $80 for 3 Fire Emblem games again and again, so I answered Yes and Yes.

You know, another game in the series I could see getting the two version treatment if it were remade is Sacred Stones. The only snags (and they're admittedly pretty major) would be the beginning and ending chapters so that they'd be different between games.

Right, that's what I was saying...I think? Or are you agreeing with me? Regardless, yes, we're of the same opinion.

The contrived story and lackluster general writing seems to make people forget just how much padding there is in the game. It's not a first in the series nor will it be the last, but there are so many chapters that are just...there, and entire subplots go on for far too long, like when you're trying to find Takumi and Ryouma.

From memory alone:

Birthright: Outside of the "trying to find Takumi and Ryoma" arc, the Nohrian invasion takes up the last 2/3 of the route and consequently has multiple chapters that just pad things out. Chapter 15 was pretty much an "attacked by mountain lions" episode that added nothing; chapter 21 was also fairly pointless.

Conquest: Chapter 12 diverts from things and doesn't add much, Chapter 15 was Chapter 15, and Chapters 19-21 were unnecessary (I could see one of them fitting in, but not all three).

Revelation: The "Elite Valla Task Force" is spaced out way too much. There's no reason why one of them is fought in two chapters, back-to-back, and the other two should have been fought together (with the gimmicky door chapter getting axed entirely).

And this isn't even going into pacing issue story-wise.

From memory alone:

Birthright: Outside of the "trying to find Takumi and Ryoma" arc, the Nohrian invasion takes up the last 2/3 of the route and consequently has multiple chapters that just pad things out. Chapter 15 was pretty much an "attacked by mountain lions" episode that added nothing; chapter 21 was also fairly pointless.

Conquest: Chapter 12 diverts from things and doesn't add much, Chapter 15 was Chapter 15, and Chapters 19-21 were unnecessary (I could see one of them fitting in, but not all three).

Revelation: The "Elite Valla Task Force" is spaced out way too much. There's no reason why one of them is fought in two chapters, back-to-back, and the other two should have been fought together (with the gimmicky door chapter getting axed entirely).

And this isn't even going into pacing issue story-wise.

For BR, how is the final arc of chapters being 'Invade Nohr' a bad thing (honestly after Kamui realizes that Garon is the real threat it should have been let's invade Nohr and remove him) before it was all finding two brothers, one of whom is known for being reckless? Chapter 15 while it made little to no sense in the line-up had the thing of 'Iago' killing some of the Wolfskin to get the tribe to attack Kamui and the team. Chapter 21 was more of in key as some of the characters suggests taking that 'route' to sneak into Nohr to avoid being detected.

For CQ, Chapter 12 wasn't that bad if it was detailed on how Elise became ill all of a sudden (not really explained at all just like Chapter 16 of BR had Takumi falling ill with no description on how he became ill or when he was ill as he was just fine prior).

For RV... "Revelation: The "Elite Valla Task Force" is spaced out way too much. There's no reason why one of them is fought in two chapters, back-to-back, and the other two should have been fought together (with the gimmicky door chapter getting axed entirely)." Which chapters are you talking about being back-to-back and the other two chapters not being just one battle? It would be nice to know what chapters you are getting worked up on for not being 'connected' properly.

For BR, how is the final arc of chapters being 'Invade Nohr' a bad thing (honestly after Kamui realizes that Garon is the real threat it should have been let's invade Nohr and remove him) before it was all finding two brothers, one of whom is known for being reckless? Chapter 15 while it made little to no sense in the line-up had the thing of 'Iago' killing some of the Wolfskin to get the tribe to attack Kamui and the team. Chapter 21 was more of in key as some of the characters suggests taking that 'route' to sneak into Nohr to avoid being detected.

For CQ, Chapter 12 wasn't that bad if it was detailed on how Elise became ill all of a sudden (not really explained at all just like Chapter 16 of BR had Takumi falling ill with no description on how he became ill or when he was ill as he was just fine prior).

For RV... "Revelation: The "Elite Valla Task Force" is spaced out way too much. There's no reason why one of them is fought in two chapters, back-to-back, and the other two should have been fought together (with the gimmicky door chapter getting axed entirely)." Which chapters are you talking about being back-to-back and the other two chapters not being just one battle? It would be nice to know what chapters you are getting worked up on for not being 'connected' properly.

Birthright: It frankly felt way too early in the game to do so; this was pretty much proven by their being multiple chapters that made no sense and just spaced things out.

Conquest: We're both pretty much in agreement; I just wasn't going to wax about the writing in my original post.

Revelation: I used the nickname for the purpose of avoiding spoilers.

I'm specifically talking about Arete (who's fought in back-to-back chapters), Mikoto, and Sumeragi (who both could've been squeezed into one chapter). Overall, that's at least two chapters that didn't need to be there; I don't quite have the numbers memorized, due to a lot of the Valla chapters just blending together.

What they did was pretty much false advertising. They initially asdvertised as if this game was going to have actual choices that users make throughout the game that lead to different paths/scenarios. They even mentioned how little player choices there were in the Awakening (which didn't even matter since they change literally nothing) and claimed FE: If was gonna be different and give the players more choices to make that are actually gonna have impacts on the story.

But how did that turn out? The result was a game split into three linear games and sold separately. The only player choice you get in the game is pretty much deciding which version to buy.

Birthright: It frankly felt way too early in the game to do so; this was pretty much proven by their being multiple chapters that made no sense and just spaced things out.

Conquest: We're both pretty much in agreement; I just wasn't going to wax about the writing in my original post.

Revelation: I used the nickname for the purpose of avoiding spoilers.

I'm specifically talking about Arete (who's fought in back-to-back chapters), Mikoto, and Sumeragi (who both could've been squeezed into one chapter). Overall, that's at least two chapters that didn't need to be there; I don't quite have the numbers memorized, due to a lot of the Valla chapters just blending together.

BR: Yeah, the invasion of Nohr was a bit too early but they didn't really start at all until after Ryoma joined the team officially (and not run off to another random location forcing everyone to find him again).

CQ: If it's not the script and dialogue, it's how the chapters are performed and why some specific chapters have enemies utilize some very aggravating moves on you that never show up anywhere else in the other paths (IE...Iago and his fellow debuffing allies infinitely spamming debuffs on you until you possibly lose characters too fast).

RV:

Arete is fought in Chapter 18, 22 and 23 (while she's the boss of all three of those chapters the latter two being two battles where she's fought as the boss in a row). That's not saying much as Garon is fought as a boss twice in a row in BR since Chapter 27 and Endgame have Garon being the boss for both chapters in a row.

Mikoto is fought in Chapter 24 as the boss (Stealth Mission being something that is just about as insane as it gets).

Sumeragi is fought in Chapter 25 as the stage boss.

My only complaint about the latter part in Valla is that you would think that Gunter could be stronger than he currently is as a boss. Even with Dragonskin and Status Resistance/Immunity equipped, his current stats still make him an easy boss as you have a huge roster of units who can turn him into a mess with little trouble compared to other bosses in their respective paths (Iago + Hans + annoying enemies who will make you mad in CQ while BR is just too simple as you can possible OTKO the boss in one move) and the only annoying part of his chapter was getting every chest item while not getting swarmed by enemy mooks.

I rather hope not, when I saw the first trailer for Fates I thought it was going to be SMT like in that the choices you make change the ending. But instead they make three games that were a cash grab because I felt that $80 was rather high for all three paths, yes I love the game play but they made the story that should of been in one game in to three sub par stories. I would rather they make a game like RD again where you play as both sides but then you end up fighting a common enemy in the end, but add in the consequence that if you don't talk to a certain person or complete a chapter in a set time you get different endings/battles then if you made a different choice. But seeing how much money big N has made on Fates I can see them making more then one FE game at a time, I just hope the write a better story next time.

Edited by EricaofRenais

No. This is Fire Emblem, not Pokemon.

Your point being? We know that this is Fire Emblem, not Pokemon, I don't see where we are saying that FE = Pokemon. Those who mentioned Pokemon are possibly talking about games that were released side-by-side or had the exact same stories with a few differences that didn't help much overall so comparing FE and Pokemon since there have been some similar cases of games being released on separate cartridges or more when the story could just be on one cartridge.

Back to Thread Topic...

I don't know about what others would feel but a future FE game could use some better changes such as 35+ Chapters to expand the story if it is short and no expies of characters from previous games (if at all avoid bringing characters back from the previous installments for the main story) to make people wonder if the designers really have little to no ideas for character designs. I don't know how people would feel if a future FE game had all the classes from each FE installment included instead of having certain classes being allowed, a better diversity instead of a little menu.

What they did was pretty much false advertising. They initially asdvertised as if this game was going to have actual choices that users make throughout the game that lead to different paths/scenarios. They even mentioned how little player choices there were in the Awakening (which didn't even matter since they change literally nothing) and claimed FE: If was gonna be different and give the players more choices to make that are actually gonna have impacts on the story.

But how did that turn out? The result was a game split into three linear games and sold separately. The only player choice you get in the game is pretty much deciding which version to buy.

Exactly. I'm all for them doing another game based on choices and how drastically they can change the course of war/history. But I don't see why suddenly just because FE14 did separate versions some people act like that's the only way this theme can be approached. They can do this in one game with different paths like FE8 on a bigger scale, that also lead to different endings. Other games have done this without selling the different choices separately, so I don't see why FE has to.

Your point being? We know that this is Fire Emblem, not Pokemon, I don't see where we are saying that FE = Pokemon. Those who mentioned Pokemon are possibly talking about games that were released side-by-side or had the exact same stories with a few differences that didn't help much overall so comparing FE and Pokemon since there have been some similar cases of games being released on separate cartridges or more when the story could just be on one cartridge.

Well, no matter your choice you can't get all the units: you can't get Izana in Revelations, you can only get Yukimura in Birthright and so on, just like how you can't get all Pokémon without trading.

Edited by FluffyWarlock

Well, no matter your choice you can't get all the units: you can't get Izana in Revelations, you can only get Yukimura in Birthright and so on, just like how you can't get all Pokémon without trading.

I was responding to you because I struggled to see how your post connected to the topic of the thread.

I was responding to you because I struggled to see how your post connected to the topic of the thread.

Let's see...

Pokemon usually hits stores in two versions. So did Fates. Again, usually, there's a third version (ex.: Yellow, Emerald, Crystal, Platinum). So did Fates (Revelation). Pokemon have exclusive critters in both versions (ex.: Blue has exclusivity to Vulpix). So does Fates, but they take it up to eleven by locking classes behind versions (Birthright gives you myrmidons/samurais, Conquest gives you mercenaries, etc.) Same deal with the third version of each game, but not that present in Revelation: the only ones you can't get in the DLC episode are Izana and Yukimura. Scarlet's only temporary and the only Revelations-exclusive unit you get is Fuga.

I kind of don't think they would do separate versions again, only because it could potentially seem too repetitive just like if time-traveling was used for the children in this one. It's a bit unjust to compare a feature in the game to separate versions, where one directly correlates with more sales, but it's essentially the same concept.

Plus, if they were to do a game split again, they would need a valid reason. Fates had a decent reason for this, however, I think the next possibility of some sort of game-split would be similar to the aforementioned idea of how FE4 would be split; essentially in say FE15/16 or whatever the next game split FE is, we play a full Gen 1 only game, and then buy a DLC to play with our pairings' kids in a different story-ish. That's only so Gen 2 units could have a proper reason to be in the game, and it doesn't really seem like IS is going to let them go.

I personally wouldn't mind another game split, because I get to play more FE so yay, although the cost...

Despite that, I just hope that they decide to develop each path more, too, after what happened with Fates.

Let's see...

Pokemon usually hits stores in two versions. So did Fates. Again, usually, there's a third version (ex.: Yellow, Emerald, Crystal, Platinum). So did Fates (Revelation). Pokemon have exclusive critters in both versions (ex.: Blue has exclusivity to Vulpix). So does Fates, but they take it up to eleven by locking classes behind versions (Birthright gives you myrmidons/samurais, Conquest gives you mercenaries, etc.) Same deal with the third version of each game, but not that present in Revelation: the only ones you can't get in the DLC episode are Izana and Yukimura. Scarlet's only temporary and the only Revelations-exclusive unit you get is Fuga.

'Usually', that's a difference.

Trading via Pokemon to get what you can't get and having Kamui have their talent being a Hoshidian/Nohrian class of the opposite route fixes access to unique non-DLC classes in Fates in a relatively simple manner amounts to the same thing, you get what you normally couldn't get in the former while the latter you can at least get skills that you normally can't get access to. I don't see why you're a bit upset about Fates being so different about classes when everything prior to Awakening had no reclass option potential. Even Awakening (outside of non-voiced characters who could be played as) had reclass options being restricted to the classes that said characters started with (for 1st Gen outside of Robin) or those that they originally had plus inherited classes if at all (children excluding Morgan). If the manner of reclassing limitations is this bad, then Awakening is even worse seeing how it just about set the standards for Fates.

At this rate you made it sound like FE: Fates is more like Pokemon than it isn't Pokemon which is something you don't want to happen as what I'm understanding is that you're trying to say that both franchises are completely different and shouldn't be compared.

Edited by Emblem Blade

I do not know if they will keep making more than one game for the next release. As for wanting them to, im really not arsed one way or the other. I was ok paying what i did for the Special Edition because of the sheer amount of content i got out of it. If we get another huge ass game, i wont care too much. If it goes back to normal, i will also not care too much.

I find Fates to be completely fine cost wise given how much content there is (I'm still playing it now and having tons of fun with it) but I'm not sure how I feel about multiple versions in the future. I don't mind them being split if ones meant to be an easier version for casuals and another is meant to be a more hardcore version but it's still an odd thing to think about.

Edited by Blademaster!