FERecolor Template Tutorial

Blue Druid

Listen up, scrubs! This is a tutorial for making palette templates for FERecolor, that is to say, for making palettes for classes that don't come packaged with FERecolor (e.g. monsters), or any custom, fan-made class. Though I find this to be mostly self-intuitive, I'd understand if someone finds it difficult, as there is no tutorial on this anyway.

What you'll need for this other than FERecolor is Usenti and Paint. And if you need rip the animations from the games, you will need Feditor Adv Render Edition.

Step 1: The Sheet.

First thing you need to do is get your sheet. Let's take for example the zombie. Gather a few frames of your desired animation on a new file in paint and then save it in the "battle_sprites" folder in FERecolor. Keep in mind that having more than 1 sprite is not absolutely necessary, but it's nice.

Zombie_zpsgkzbugg0.png

Step 2: FERecolor.

Now you are ready to open it in FERecolor, so well... Open it in FERecolor. So now you can edit the colours by changing the number on the RGB scale. So we're ready now, right? Not quite yet.
See all those numbers on the far right hand side, each accompanied by a "Reset" button? That's the colour's index. What's that, you say? Well, editing the colours is not enough because each colour has to be at the right index, in other words, it has to be in the right position, otherwise you'll get a messed up palette when you insert it. To find out how to learn each colour's correct index, join me in Step 3.

z1.5_zpswnhvazdk.png

Step 3: Making the Palette Index.

So now, open up the Feditor-processed sheet in Usenti (Not Paint, Usenti) and look at the palette.

z2_zpszs0sr1ge.png

Let's have a closer look.

z3_zpshedulzca.png

The game has this system where it reads the palette from right to left, (kind of like how Arabic reads). There, I conveniently numbered them for you! And so now, all you have to do is number the colours in FERecolor.

z4_zpsjtgo6v0m.png

And boom! That's it. You're good to go. Now, in order to insert the palette itself, press that "Copy hex to clipboard" button and check out this tutorial.

Now on a side note, while in the middle of making this tutorial, I was informed by my friend and fellow palette scholar Teraspark from FEUniverse that there is an alternate, simpler way to do this, which some of you might find easier, so I decided to keep both methods just in case.

Alternate method:

Step 1:

Take your sheet and open it in either paint or usenti, and make sure it has the palette inside it.

Step 2:

Now take the palette and flip it horizontally so that the black is looking to the right. Then, take the 2nd row and place it to the right of the first row. It should look like this:z3_zpsykkynrgc.png

Just make sure that the palette is parallel both horizontally and vertically to any other pixel, like in the image below:

Zombie_zpsvzxrzrlr.png

Step 3:

Now just open it in FERecolor and the program will automatically sense the correct palette index! Isn't that convenient. And it works equally well, too!

z5_zps71lki3du.png

Admittedly this is the first tutorial I've ever done, so some feedback is appreciated, and I hope this was helpful. Happy hacking! ; ]

Edited by Blue Druid

Pretty consistent with what I've been doing myself. Solid tutorial.

I'll mention that if you're creating templates for vanilla animations not included with FERecolor, the easiest way to get frames is to dump them using the Render Edition of FEditor.

There is a way to find the pallete order, if you just open Feditor in the animation you wan to make your recolor, you can get the pallete order.

Nice Tutorial

You know how to do pallete fixes?

Edited by marlon0024

Good point, and thanks.

If by palette fixes you mean revisions to the palette then yes, they're quite easy.

For example, i made an animation, but if that sprite is onthe enemy team their colors wont change to red...In theory all i need to do is order the 16 colors of the upper right to match the pallete order like...i dont know a Monk?(My animation is female monk)

For example, i made an animation, but if that sprite is onthe enemy team their colors wont change to red...In theory all i need to do is order the 16 colors of the upper right to match the pallete order like...i dont know a Monk?(My animation is female monk)

No, you (also?) need to use the generic color sets. I have no idea what they are, though.

If you use specific colors, they automatically get subbed out with other specific colors when loaded on a different team.

Edited by Eliwan

How do I work with Pirates? They have multiple color issues, in that some of their colors overlap and fail to count correctly. As a result, when I try to put in Geese's palette, it looks like a total mess.

How do I work with Pirates? They have multiple color issues, in that some of their colors overlap and fail to count correctly. As a result, when I try to put in Geese's palette, it looks like a total mess.

Did you charged the Pirate Image Data before puting your Geese Pallete?

185da1a893.png

Use this. I know it looks freaky, but I changed the colours around so you can tell them apart. Tested and works.

No, you (also?) need to use the generic color sets. I have no idea what they are, though.

If you use specific colors, they automatically get subbed out with other specific colors when loaded on a different team.

Whoops didn't see you there

Actually, that's not the case. When making a custom animation, the game doesn't know to make generic palettes automatically. You have to make the generic palettes for each side yourself, with this tutorial.

• 10 months later...

I ripped the Shaman's sheet, reordered the colours and changed the colours to my liking, but when I load it into BS Palette Assembler it comes out in the wrong order and it's still a mess in-game.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: The solution was so simple it's not even funny.  I didn't realise the numbers to the right also affected order.  Sorry for bumping this because of my stupidity.

Edited by Sayyyaka

• 6 months later...

thanks i use this tutorial to make templates for the classes and it works well the program only came up with 2 templates (assassin and wyvern knight) and that sux so i made some myself but those were even worse so i followed you tutor and it worked!