Games Like the 2D zeldas

sirmola

Its been long enough since i finished "a link between worlds"'s hero mode that i'm itching for another game like it. I have already played all the 2D zeldas to death (exept triforce heros, because multiplayer is not my thing, and spirit tracks, because multiple people have told me its horrible). I'm itching to play another game like it (preferably on the 3ds eshop, but the PC works too.). Here is an example of what i mean (which you should totally buy before the steam sale ends, but that's beside the point): http://store.steampowered.com/app/241320/

Anyone have any suggestions? (preferably nothing super-hard, or rogue-like, or anything like that.)

Umm if old DS games work may I suggest Lunar Knights, and Okamiden (Okamiden is more like 3-D Zelda but still great game just make sure you play Okami first also realize the game is nowhere near as good as Okami but is still good.)

Also unless you hated Phantom Hourglass you should be able to like Spirit Tracks.

Other than that um i've heard good things about Hyper Light Drifter (PC) you might want to look into that.

I know this isn't exactly what you had in mind, but here:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/BerzerkStudio/heros-arms

http://www.kongregate.com/games/funnaut/arcuz-full-version

http://www.kongregate.com/games/the_exp/robert-the-elf

The second one is more like the Ys games than Zelds, meaning that if you like it you may actually like the Ys series.

The third one is a spoof, and it's kind of a shooter.

Umm if old DS games work may I suggest Lunar Knights, and Okamiden (Okamiden is more like 3-D Zelda but still great game just make sure you play Okami first also realize the game is nowhere near as good as Okami but is still good.) I dont have any consoles that can play okami, and i tend not to play direct sequals until i play the origional. I will look into lunar knights though.

Also unless you hated Phantom Hourglass you should be able to like Spirit Tracks. I hated phantom hourglass. It just had too many gimicks, and the touch screen was finickey. THe random colectathon elements were also annoying.

Other than that um i've heard good things about Hyper Light Drifter (PC) you might want to look into that. I've heard good things myself I have heard good things about it as well. I might get it this steam sale, although $16 is still a lot.

I know this isn't exactly what you had in mind, but here:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/BerzerkStudio/heros-arms

http://www.kongregate.com/games/funnaut/arcuz-full-version

http://www.kongregate.com/games/the_exp/robert-the-elf

The second one is more like the Ys games than Zelds, meaning that if you like it you may actually like the Ys series.

The third one is a spoof, and it's kind of a shooter.

Can't fault the price on those. I'll try them out.

THanks for the recs so far. Anyone know anything on the eshop?

Edited by sirmola

spirit tracks, because multiple people have told me its horrible

spirit tracks

horrible

Does not compute

Literally the only thing wrong with ST is the pan flute segments and the train being kinda limiting on exploration. The overland segments and dungeons are as good as any other 2D Zelda I've played.

Just me though, so my answer is "give Spirit Tracks a go"

Spirit Tracks is really pretty good I liked it a lot, any Zelda game is a good game and worth a try. Plus if you are one of the people that think Zelda needs a bigger role in the games this is your game.

There's an old SNES game kinda like Zelda (gameplay-wise). It's name is "Illusion of Gaia". I din't think it's in the eShop, but hey, you CAN emulate it. Even in your mobile phone!

I emulated teranigma once, and had a REALLY hard time playing it, and not much fun. I'm a little iffy about anything else in the series.

Spirit Tracks isn't my favorite, but I had fun with it.

Look up Willow for the NES. It's literally a Zelda-clone, but it's a good one.

Star Tropics if we're going that far back as well. Secret of Mana kind of has the vibes as well even though it focuses a bit more on combat.

Star Tropics if we're going that far back as well. Secret of Mana kind of has the vibes as well even though it focuses a bit more on combat.

THanks for the recomandation. I actualy have heard of a few emulatable games, but would prefer computer or eshop ones (due, among other things, to the fact that i have a hard time resisting savestates, and my phone is currently an Iphone, which does not allow emulaters.)

Edited by sirmola

Whoever told you Spirit Tracks is horrible doesn't want you to have fun. It's a really good game. Only problem is that the train itself is waaay too slow. But you get to the actual content, it's as fun as any Zelda.

I also recommend the Metroid and Shantae series. And Okami, of course.

Edited by Zera

Rolan's Curse 2 for the Gameboy is a pretty good obscure game even if it's short. You level up for four party characters by finding chests in which they will level up if their portraits are inside, which is kind of weird.

I really liked Terranigma but Illusion of Gaia and Soul Blazer are both kind of different despite being in the same series, Soul Blazer being the most simple.

Edited by Tryhard

Whoever told you Spirit Tracks is horrible doesn't want you to have fun. It's a really good game. Only problem is that the train itself is waaay too slow. But you get to the actual content, it's as fun as any Zelda.

I also recommend the Metroid and Shantae series. And Okami, of course.

aren't those platforms? I'm REALLY bad at platforming (although i guess they all have the advantege of being on the 3ds.

Google search is your friend!

I've actualy already watched that, although thanks for reminding me, because i just checked, and one of the games (landstalker) has a steam port thats on sale for 79 cents right now (it's in the same 1.89 package as shining force one and two, which ive been wanting to get for a while, so this is the perfect excuse). I'll definetly get this one.

Edited by sirmola

I don't think you need to be good at platformers to play Metroid and Shantae games. I'd give them a try anyway. Get Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii U eShop for $20 and enjoy three of the highest rated adventure games that are basically sci-fi Zelda.

I don't think you need to be good at platformers to play Metroid and Shantae games. I'd give them a try anyway. Get Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii U eShop for $20 and enjoy three of the highest rated adventure games that are basically sci-fi Zelda.

I don't own a WiiU, although the suggestion is appreciated.

2D Zelda games are not very common, so I would broaden your search for 3D Zelda as well... I think a popular PS1 title called Alundra might be for you, but I haven't played it myself.

2D Zelda games are not very common, so I would broaden your search for 3D Zelda as well... I think a popular PS1 title called Alundra might be for you, but I haven't played it myself.

For whatever reason, I have a LOT less fun playing 3d zeldas, and generaly have a really hard time with them. I actualy have massive problems playing most real time elements, due to utterly horrible reflexes. 2d zeldas are an exception for some reason (along with games like final fantisy 6 where the real time elements are minimal). THat's why i'm being so specific, and why i am skeptical of things like sidescrollers with some zelda elements. THere nothing quite as anoying as geting stuck on what is supposed to be a trivial walljump or dodge-based fight, and this happens to me a lot. THis is also why i dislike the "mario and luigi" series. Although there are exeptions i can handle (like undertale), its not at all consistent. I guess what i'm really looking for is something with VERY little reflexes required, and which is very forgiving (such as how undertale autosaves your progress on the final boss, and has a massively op suit of armor that plunges in price if you die a ton.)

Edited by sirmola

I give recommendations for these a lot so I guess you can look at my old list Apologies for the "3D" portion of the list.

Most of these aren't on the Nintendo 3DS or Wii U Eshop proper, but Secret of Mana, Beyond Oasis, Landstalker, Dungeon Explorer, Neutopia, and Startropics are on the original wii shop channel which can still be used through wii U. I think licensicing to get things on the oriingal shop to the current shops is slowly going through, (star tropics is on both) but I don't see the point of waiting since you still use the classic controller regardless of which shop you buy from most of the time.

Pretty much all genesis and megadrive games are available via compilations on PS3, PC, digital, (or individually via steam) although I think the only ARPGs among them that aren't also on the wii shop channel would be crudader of centy and story of thor.

I don't consider all Action Rpgs to be "Zelda clones' but I can see why some people would add top down games or 3/4 camera games where you collect items or powers in addition to fighting and puzzles like Beyond oasis, legend of valkrie, vagrant story, seiken dekestu 3, YS, etc so you might want to look up lists of ARPGs if you want even more or think these have too ridiculous pre-requisites or console requirements.

Definitely look for videos of some of the gameplay instead of taking my word for it, a few of them are far better on paper than when you are actually playing them. And as a final note I hope you didn't skip the game boy oracle games and link's awakening because they do surprisingly well in comparison to the other zeldas (although oracle of ages doesn't really start to pick up until about the 4th dungeon ) and are on the 3DS shop.

Edited by Reality

And as a final note I hope you didn't skip the game boy oracle games and link's awakening because they do surprisingly well even in comparison to link to the past and minish cap.

They were the first 3 zelda games i ever played. I played them to death as a kid, I own the 3ds eshop copies of all 3. (I even got the secret "no deaths on file" ending of Link's Awakening)

THanks for that massive list. I'll check to see what has a PC or 3ds port (although i don't own a WiiU or a device with PSN access and our family no longer owns a TV to use with my wii.

Edit: looks like oceanhorn is the only game on that list that i can easily obtain. without emulating (although some of this stuff might be worth emulating.)

Edited by sirmola

Ocean horn for IOS is pretty good in my experience. It's basically 2d Wind Waker.

Yeah. Looking over it, im definitely going to get that. The main decision at this point is whether to get the steam version, or to wait for the promised android version. (i currently have an iPhone, but i plan to switch to android soon.) Probably stem, because its on sale, and because i have heard that the iOSd touch controls are questionable.

Edited by sirmola