Started playing Wind Waker because why not... and it's surprisingly easy

Ken Masters

Has any Zelda game really been hard since Zelda II? Just asking here, because I haven't found Zelda games particularly hard since then, aside from some random shit you'd have to look up online (like heart piece locations and etc).

Tbh the only things that have ever given me trouble in Zelda are control issues in ST (the flute) and SS (the sword). I've beaten both games by now, but I'm pretty discouraged from playing them again because of these issues.

Edit: There's also some of the TFH challenges, namely the timer with or without orb, no balloons, and no pot dropping

I haven't played Zelda II, though.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

For instance, the Terra Temple involves a few mechanics not found in any other dungeons in the game, but they're introduced nicely in easy puzzles before being properly put to the test in more difficult ones deeper withhin the temple.

This is in contrast to stuff like the staff you get in the Temple of Time in TP that is used for a single overcomplicated and tedious puzzle withhin the dungeon you get it in and barely anywhere else in the game at all, while at the same time being notable for being the only item in the game that arbitrarily won't function outside the dungeon you get it in until you beat it.

I mean, I can't think of any overcomplicated puzzles in the temple of time, except maybe the weights puzzle. Which is a bit complicated just because you have to figure out how much the big statue weighs on your return trip through the dungeon.

The reason the item won't function outside the dungeon is because they decided to use it in making progress towards the next dungeon. I guess with a bit more finesse, they could've allowed you to do that without actually making it all the way to the sky dungeon. I don't really see how that's much of a drawback anyway.

Also RE your earlier comment, I think zeldas 1 and 2 are both a lot more difficult than ALTTP.

I don't know how you define "overcomplicated" and "tedious", but I thought the Temple of Time was a clever dungeon. BTW, why would you leave a dungeon after getting the item without defeating the boss?

Some of the earlier zeldas can actually be fun to do this with. If you get the hammer from the first dungeon and then the bracelet from the 4th, you can up your sword to lvl 3 earlier! The red sword is my favorite, so I like to have it as long as possible. Edited by HELP

I thought the Temple of Time was a clever dungeon.

I guess we just have different preferences, then. While I can appreciate a clever puzzle, the Temple of Time really didn't resonate with me.

BTW, why would you leave a dungeon after getting the item without defeating the boss?

A number of reasons have been given by other people, but I think you're asking the wrong question here.

Why would an item just arbitrarily stop working if you decide to leave early? For instance, the Fire Staff in LA is easily the most broken weapon in the game, but they didn't seem to take issue with you leaving the dungeon with it. Granted, it doesn't really unlock any new paths outside the 8th dungeon, but they also didn't stop you from grabbing the Hammer in ALttP and leaving the 1st Dark World dungeon without beating it despite the fact that most of the Dark World is blocked off until you aquire said Hammer. And unlike the Staff of Time, the Hammer actually has other uses outside of opening up various paths.

It just seems incredibly lazy to me. Given the fact that the Staff of Time has absolutely no use outside of interacting with a few certain statues, they might as well just have given you a gate key or something after beating the boss instead of an "item" withhin the dungeon itself that has literally no other function.

Also RE your earlier comment, I think zeldas 1 and 2 are both a lot more difficult than ALTTP.

That may very well be the case; I haven't played the first two games.

Original LoZ and Zelda II are by far the hardest games in the series. The first Zelda is just very direction less unless you have an overworld map, and Zelda II... Oof...

I also find Link's Awakening somewhat difficult along with the Oracle games. However mainline games from LTTP onwards are far more linear and less punishing. For me, LTTP/OoT/MM represents the ideal difficulty while offering at least a little exploration. However I still enjoy WW. TP a little less so due to repetitive story progression quests.

Zelda II is one of my favorites, but it's a notoriously difficult game on a system known for difficult games.

I do wish they would revisit 2D sidescrolling Zelda. Zelda II was da bomb.

Main reason I've been avoiding Zelda II is because it's side scrolling, actually. I'm really bad at side scrolling.

Main reason I've been avoiding Zelda II is because it's side scrolling, actually. I'm really bad at side scrolling.

It's not a forgiving one either, with a Castlevania like attraction to pits, haha.

Even if you are good at platformers, it's a tough cookie. And it's definitely a Nintendo Power kind of game, particularly the trick to completing the final temple (it makes you run circles through hell until you realize you have to fall in to a pit.... and hold right... and travel through a wall).

I love Zelda II. I lovingly say it's bullshit, however.

Edited by ChibiToastExplosion

It's not a forgiving one either, with a Castlevania like attraction to pits, haha.

Even if you are good at platformers, it's a tough cookie. And it's definitely a Nintendo Power kind of game, particularly the trick to completing the final temple (it makes you run circles through hell until you realize you have to fall in to a pit.... and hold right... and travel through a wall).

I love Zelda II. I lovingly say it's bullshit, however.

Yeah, see I wouldn't stand much chance because of how bad I am at Platforming.