1st generation Waifu....

Darizuka

So what I notice is that first generation wives tend to fall short on stats that childrens have

In Birthright I was with Scarlet and I grinded her hard (no pun intended.)

In Conquest I am currently with Camilla. Gaining EXP is quite hard with her.. but she is easily getting outclassed as we go along in the story

Heh...

post Chapter 11 Boo's Camp and post Chapter 12's Boo's Camp has a quite the power difference [last I checked in Birthright.]

Both Scarlet & Camilla suffer from being pre-promotes which makes them notably weaker than your other 1st gen units. (ie: they effectively 'miss out' on at least 10+ levels of exp + promotion bonuses)

Even a Lv20 Elise promoted will likely be a better lv1 Malig Knight than Camilla overall!

Once Camilla gets going she can become really good, and obviously, she's one of, if not the single 'best' mother on the Conquest path outside of Corrin herself.

Scarlet meanwhile is 'good' as a Wyvern Lord, but again, because she's a pre-promote, she's never as good as say, Beruka until you're just about hitting your stat caps anyways. (and being a pre-promote, she *might* have to use an Eternal Seal or two if you actually want her to hit all her caps - just depends on how RNG screwed/blessed you get with her!)

Camilla's main niche is that she scales stupidly well relative to her join time (Chapter 10 in Conquest, End of Chapter 12 in Rev). She's so much better than most of the enemies in the first 4-5 Chapters after she is recruited and (believe it or not), she does actually have a higher than average EXP gain for a Prepromote. What I think happens is that the game calculates her EXP gain as if she was a 15/1 Unit, so she does gain EXP faster after a map or two in the main Campaign. Having some of the best personal Growth Rates in the 1st Gen doesn't hurt either. Honestly, if you just stick to their averages in their base classes, Beruka doesn't even beat Camilla in all areas. Beruka has more HP, Skl, Lck and Def and Camilla has better Str, Mag, Spd and Res.

Scarlet's also pretty great, mainly due to having one of the best Defense bases in Birthright and the generally low quality of the enemies until about Chapter 23. She's also one of (heck, she might be THE only) non Corrin Wyvern in Birthright, so she's got a cool niche there.

Camilla's main niche is that she scales stupidly well relative to her join time (Chapter 10 in Conquest, End of Chapter 12 in Rev). She's so much better than most of the enemies in the first 4-5 Chapters after she is recruited and (believe it or not), she does actually have a higher than average EXP gain for a Prepromote. What I think happens is that the game calculates her EXP gain as if she was a 15/1 Unit, so she does gain EXP faster after a map or two in the main Campaign. Having some of the best personal Growth Rates in the 1st Gen doesn't hurt either. Honestly, if you just stick to their averages in their base classes, Beruka doesn't even beat Camilla in all areas. Beruka has more HP, Skl, Lck and Def and Camilla has better Str, Mag, Spd and Res.

Scarlet's also pretty great, mainly due to having one of the best Defense bases in Birthright and the generally low quality of the enemies until about Chapter 23. She's also one of (heck, she might be THE only) non Corrin Wyvern in Birthright, so she's got a cool niche there.

is there a way to make Camilla more effective?

like switching her class?

then swithcing back or something?

any noteworthy DLC class for her if switching class can optimize her?

I usually go Malig Knight until 5 (for Savage Blow) > Wyvern Lord (until 14) > Malig (15, for Trample). I'd consider that a solid maingame build. She can also A+ Beruka for Zerker and its Skills. Axefaire would be cool. Selena can give her Strong Riposte or Sol from Merc!Hero as an alternative, both of which Camilla can use well. Of course, she also has options depending on who she S Ranks. I'd say my preferred end class for her is Wyvern Lord, but if you dig her ability to wield Tomes, Malig Knight would work well too.

Edited by Avalanche

I usually go Malig Knight until 5 (for Savage Blow) > Wyvern Lord (until 14) > Malig (15, for Trample). I'd consider that a solid maingame build. She can also A+ Beruka for Zerker and its Skills. Axefaire would be cool. Selena can give her Strong Riposte or Sol from Merc!Hero as an alternative, both of which Camilla can use well. Of course, she also has options depending on who she S Ranks. I'd say my preferred end class for her is Wyvern Lord, but if you dig her ability to wield Tomes, Malig Knight would work well too.

Kana with Savage Blow is quite nice.

I sent Camilla through Sorc from level 5-15; Bowbreaker is amazing on any Wyvern unit, needless to say, and she also gets a proc skill in the form of Vengeance. WL or MK good either way from there.

I'd definitely not skimp out on Swordbreaker, especially if you opt to keep her a Malig Knight since she loses out on WTA with spears. Depending on how willing you are to reclass she can still sneak in Axefair as well, or whatever her husband's skills have to be.

It's also worth considering having her dip into sorc from 11-15, it's a little rough since her magic is a tad low, but I got it done on Lunatic and Bowbreaker+Tomes with Malig means she can frequently ignore archers, which is a pretty huge boon for maps like the great wall of takumi.

Bowbreaker is pretty much mandatory on *every* flier you intend to use a lot!

It trivialises bow users quite nicely, though you're still by no means invincible to them. You'll still need to play smart and be careful about positioning, as all it takes is a single lucky hit to cripple/nuke a flier.

Bowbreaker is pretty much mandatory on *every* flier you intend to use a lot!

*cough* *cough*. Sorry, but don't state as a generality the way you play. Experimented players tend to highlight their units' strengths, not fix their weaknesses, or you end with 16 identical units. It's exactly like Aegis on Xander, it can save you once, but one's fliers have no place into archers' range anyway, so it's just wasting a slot for a potential situation where he could not avoid it, which should not happen unless he's been unlucky or misplayed.

Archers are so accurate anyway, you can't rely on it either, especially with a Peg because of skills and Weapon Triangle disadvantage.

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

Brand has a point, actually.

I tend to encourage Bowbreaker more with Malig Knights than anything else since they also have the weapon triangle advantage needed to have an acceptable amount of Avo to escape being bownuked, or at the very least, can be WTA-neutral.

Brand has a point, actually.

I tend to encourage Bowbreaker more with Malig Knights than anything else since they also have the weapon triangle advantage needed to have an acceptable amount of Avo to escape being bownuked, or at the very least, can be WTA-neutral.

I agree, Malig Knight are the only flyers I may give Bowbreaker, not as defensive skill, but to turn them specifically into powerful anti-archer units. Their high movement (10 tiles with Tomes' range), nice Mag and weapon advantage make them pretty good against archers, since archers have low resistance (except the Outlaw classline) and your MK should easily reach them, even the Kinshi Knights, and shouldn't take a hit if you attack from 2 tiles away. I used it with my Strategist!Elise, and it trivialized Conquest's chapter 23 and 24, since most archers and Kinshi Knights had 0% hit against her. Malig Knight could work too, but I'm not so sure their Spd would be high enough.

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

It's also your only real hope of dealing with Kinshi Knights (or anything else with Air Superiority that uses bows) if oh, say, you just happen to have an army of nothing but Wyvern units... lol...

Kana with Savage Blow is quite nice.

My internal completionist is screaming at you.

I usually advise against marrying the 1st gen ladies (aside from Corrinsexials) unless you have the gay fates homebrew, because then you have to decide which of the children you aren't getting, since there aren't enough ladies to go around. However, if you don't care about recruiting all the kids, Camilla's a good mom for Kana, I guess.