Fire Emblem: The Sacred Fandub (Sacred Stones Fandub) - Come give some support!

Tom Ansell

Hi everyone in the Serenes Forest! I'm of the ansellplays YouTube Channel (Small channel of 35-36 subscribers) and I'd like to share a series I have underway which is a fan-dub of The Sacred Stones! Now, I am aware that there might be other groups dubbing this game, and they might be better and further ahead. This isn't a competition, I just want to share my own dub to get some support / feedback.

At the moment, we have covered:
- Prologue ( http://tinyurl.com/FE8Prologue ) ( The episodes past this won't include my commentary, as a few of my actors had pointed out that a fan dub is better left to the story, and leave out the gameplay )
- Neimi & Colm C Support ( http://tinyurl.com/FE8NeimiColm )
- Lute & Artur C Support ( http://tinyurl.com/FE8ArturLute )
- Chapter 1 ( In progress - editing stage )

All things involved with this dub is entirely free, and all rights are held towards the original creators of course. Please come and watch, say hello, and leave any feedback regarding the dub, the actors and/or overall feedback, It'd be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards!

Having watched the prologue, here are my thoughts / constructive criticism so far:

Firstly, minor nitpick, I don't think the title of 'sacred stones' needs to be read off. Not a big deal, possible personal preference, but shrug. Also, the differences in audio quality/volume are fairly noticeable and kind of distracting, if at all possible, I'd recommend balancing that out

Specifically, the Narrator and the first guard are decent volume, though the guard's quality is kinda iffy and it's a bit distracting (I realize may not have the liberty to fix this since it's probably dependant on the VA's mike, but IDK there it is). Fado and Eirika's voices are rather quiet and should probably be upped in volume. Fado in general sounds like he's talking much too quietly so far, but I'll keep listening and see. I do like Seth's voice, however! He sounds about how I'd expect. Still some volume balancing issues here though, Eirika started out too quiet and Seth was fine, but now it's flopped. (This continues for most of what I'm seeing so I'll stop mentioning it now and just let you work it out if you're able) The last thing I'll say on it is that it'd be nice to still be able to hear the background music, if that's doable. 

Also, there's the difference in pronunciation of 'Renais' between the narrator and Fado/Valter. I don't know which is correct and TBH I don't mind either, but it should probably be consistent.

I like the prologue boss's voice haha. 

That's all I can watch for now, but it's off to a solid start! Keep it up and hope some of this helps. 

21 minutes ago, CountessGardy said:

You should totally integrate the voice-acting into the gameplay a la Team FourStar's FF7 Machinabridged

How do you mean exactly? Like integrate via a hack or something along those lines?

15 minutes ago, escotanner said:

I'm liking what I've watched so far.

Thank you very kindly!

Just now, BANRYU said:

Having watched the prologue, here are my thoughts / constructive criticism so far:

Firstly, minor nitpick, I don't think the title of 'sacred stones' needs to be read off. Not a big deal, possible personal preference, but shrug. Also, the differences in audio quality/volume are fairly noticeable and kind of distracting, if at all possible, I'd recommend balancing that out

Specifically, the Narrator and the first guard are decent volume, though the guard's quality is kinda iffy and it's a bit distracting (I realize may not have the liberty to fix this since it's probably dependant on the VA's mike, but IDK there it is). Fado and Eirika's voices are rather quiet and should probably be upped in volume. Fado in general sounds like he's talking much too quietly so far, but I'll keep listening and see. I do like Seth's voice, however! He sounds about how I'd expect. Still some volume balancing issues here though, Eirika started out too quiet and Seth was fine, but now it's flopped. (This continues for most of what I'm seeing so I'll stop mentioning it now and just let you work it out if you're able) The last thing I'll say on it is that it'd be nice to still be able to hear the background music, if that's doable. 

Also, there's the difference in pronunciation of 'Renais' between the narrator and Fado/Valter. I don't know which is correct and TBH I don't mind either, but it should probably be consistent.

I like the prologue boss's voice haha. 

That's all I can watch for now, but it's off to a solid start! Keep it up and hope some of this helps. 

1) Ah, I figured that was going to be mentioned. I felt it was appropriate at the time to read it off but I easily made that mistake haha!
2) The differences in audio quality and volume, I have noticed and so has a fair few of my actors. I'm still getting used to editing again so it was a bit difficult for me at first. However I am improving the more I complete this dub as well as another fan-dub project which I won't discuss as it's not Fire Emblem related.
3) The guard's quality was because at the time of recording, I was the one performing as the guard, however at the time (and still do) I have a basic USB microphone. I do have someone casted as the guards so hopefully that will be much better :)
4) That's where I ran into a problem regarding volume. I was trying to balance the voice actors with the background music, while keeping both of them hearable, which is quite difficult as each actor has different volumes. I can see what I can do!
5) Pronunciations are quite difficult to address I feel as that is a whole difficult branch. Like you mentioned, you don't know which out of the two ways said were correct, and even I don't know the proper pronunciation.

Voice Actor of Colm, Valter, Glen,  Breaguet (the Op minor boss of chapter 1)  ,king Hayden and some minor characters and skit animator here. I'm having a lot of fun doing this project and look forward to the future of it. 

Just now, Eldritch Abomination said:

This looks great!  The only issues I've seen with it have already been brought up, so I won't reiterate.  Are you looking for any more voice actors?

Thanks for your interest! At the moment, we have all but a few casted. We need a Syrene, Orson, Klimt, Queen Ismaire and all boss characters past Chapter 5 ( Saar, Zonta, Novala, Murray, Tirado, Binks, Gheb, Pablo, Beran, Aias ).

7 minutes ago, CountessGardy said:

Ah! That's what you mean. With the actual sprite alterations and having them do Miscaelleous lines during each chapter. Hmm. I'll have to figure out how to do that without screwing up haha! That's a new level for me.

10 hours ago, Tom Ansell said:

Thanks for your interest! At the moment, we have all but a few casted. We need a Syrene, Orson, Klimt, Queen Ismaire and all boss characters past Chapter 5 ( Saar, Zonta, Novala, Murray, Tirado, Binks, Gheb, Pablo, Beran, Aias ).

Oh, awesome!  Well, if you need any assistance with that, both myself and my boyfriend are highly interested, and definitely down to play some baddies.  We also have all the necessary recording equipment, too.  Either way though, I'm definitely excited to see this.