Heroes Art Work That Seems a Bit Off

Rezzy

I see a lot of the obvious ones were brought up (bug-eyed Eliwood, yo.)

Masao Tsubasa's Gwyndolen comes to mind as having egregious proportions. Her torso looks anorexic, the girth & width of her body is shorter than her head by a good 2 inches (with the bust being just about equal). Her abdomen is nearly head-sized with her legs being Bayonetta long! Her face would be a little more palatable if it didn't look so sunken in.

Cordelia looks a little weird to me, but this might be more subjective. Her face looks waaay to dumpy & childish than what I'm used to from Kozaki. Her mouth is too close to her chin & the eyes take up more space than the rest of her face. As a nitpick, her damage art looks unusually clean compared to most characters, but that might be on the artist's laziness/unfamiliarity/inconsistency. Like, I can't even get the illusion of motion from the red bits floating around her!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Florina's art bugs me the most, probably because she's one of my favorite characters. Her face is just... off. At least she doesn't have Eliwood's eyes, I guess.

I don't like Ursula's art either. Not because I think it's badly drawn, but because I feel like it doesn't fit her character. She looks like some unhinged evil sorceress, not a serious and devoted commander, and I probably wouldn't have guessed it was her just from looking at the art. But I admit it's been years since I played Blazing Sword. Is it just me?

There's a lot if things that I find weird, Ogmas's arms, Sophia's neck, Selena's face, Lon'qu's attack pose, etc. None of them outrights bother me, yes, not even Eliwood's infamous eyes. 

I actually like quite a bit Gwendolyn's art, her proportions are indeed a fine mess but the art gas quite the charm regardless. I'm tend to be permissive with proportions, scale and perspective outside of academic drawing. Also don't really understand why people makes so much fuse of that outside academic drawing. But that's just me. 

I gotta say, Lyn's artwork, while not bad at all, is extremely unremarkable in anyway for me, Kozaki's artwork for here in the tittle artwork looks mile more interesting and cool that her in game illustration. 

Art person here

I think the artist who did Ogma, Gunther, etc did a good job overall (Gunther looks the best out of his works IMO, I love his art), but I will agree on the arm muscle part. Perhaps I'm a bit more stickler about anatomy than most, but it bugs me. I definitely like bulging muscles---just when they're still proportional. 

Anyway, out of the ones that hasn't been mentioned, off the top of my head, Catria's default pose is such an egregious case of boob and butt it's not even funny. Her battle portraits are actually ok but like, why the fuck is she just casually, standing around with her spine twisted like that? It's so bad. Lucina's battle damaged pose also has a case of that, though at least her normal art looks good and doesn't really look like the standard anime moeblob style Catria's been put into. 

FCorrin is also a similar case and I just don't really like the style she's drawn in, even without the bad anatomy. 

17 hours ago, Lushen said:

The only character art I don't understand is Arthur's.  I never played fates, so I'm not sure if this is an inside joke with the game, but it looks like they purposely made bad artwork...

Arthur's isn't really done purposely 'bad', but purposely 'comic book' style, made to look very 'American' as seen in a Japanese person's eyes. After all, Arthur is based on American comic book heroes like Superman and Capt. America..he even has a red, white, and blue colour scheme.

17 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Arthur's was done to emulate comic book artwork. It wouldn't look out of place in something like Codename S.T.E.A.M. for example, which is kinda the point, as a self-proclaimed hero of justice.

Funny you should use Codename: STEAM as an example since that game's artist is the person who did Arthur's artwook for Fire Emblem Heroes.

I'm okay with clashing styles for the most part ( isn't Arthur standing out a part of his character?). It adds to each characters individuality.  However, I'm not digging some of the overly patterned armor pieces. Eliwood and Jagen immediately come to mind.

3 minutes ago, Kiran said:

I'm sorry Chrom but your left arm feels...off. I think its the positioning. 

One of my favorite's might just be Navarre. I absolutely love how the red makes him stand out. 

Do you mean the right arm, the one with the Mark?  Now that you mention it, yeah, it does.  The Mark is on the lateral aspect of his shoulder, but in the default picture, it faces forward.  It's like his shoulder was dislocated or something.

Eliwood's art kind of surprised me at first, but now it's kind of grown on me.

The only one I really don't like is Camilla.  The art's not bad, but the character design and dialogue come across as having been developed by a pubescent middle-schooler.

Just now, JJ48 said:

Eliwood's art kind of surprised me at first, but now it's kind of grown on me.

The only one I really don't like is Camilla.  The art's not bad, but the character design and dialogue come across as having been developed by a pubescent middle-schooler.

For Camilla, that's probably more on the writers and artists from Fates, since her portrayal in Heroes isn't a massive departure from her original personality and outfit.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

For Camilla, that's probably more on the writers and artists from Fates, since her portrayal in Heroes isn't a massive departure from her original personality and outfit.

Fair enough.  (Honestly, the thought of having to spend more time with her is making me dread actually playing through the Nohr storyline in Fates.  -_-)

5 hours ago, Aera said:

So who saw Laslow's weird ankle lol.............

I finally noticed it upon seeing it on Tumblr lol. Also, in his neutral portrait, one eye is a bit bigger than the other, and when attacking, his earring (which shouldn't even be there because in canon he only wears one earring) looks a bit off. But I am a bit biased, so regardless of these errors, I actually do love Laslow's art in Heroes because I love Laslow.

The most bothersome art to me probably is Catria. She's got this extreme boob and butt pose really trying to show off her ass and zettai ryouiki for some reason, and, is she supposed to be so blue? The way she is colored, those blues are just too strong and it is unsettling to my eyes. I know Catria is quite popular, but I'm sorry - she just doesn't look right in this game.

Female Robin's art isn't too bad on its own, but compared to the far superior male Robin, she is also just too hard to look at. I legitimately feel bad for her!

Edited by twistedxgrace

Well, I think Olivia's art looks weird overall. The black traces in her first pose are a bit too drawn out, and, while her other two stances are okayish in that aspect, her battle stance makes no sense and her wounded stance is somewhat over-the-top (she looks like a non-combatant, really, even when she's quite strong). But maybe that's just me nitpicking the artist style, since I also find Hector and Raven art style too much comic-like, with the large black traces and lack of shading, even though they're quite good (is it same artist as Olivias?)

Besides that, you already covered most things that bug me. Bug-eyeded fancy armor Eliwood, Lon' qu battle stance and, to some extent, some heroes bodies-head proportion (Leo, Roy, Beruka and Gordin come to mind. Probably just me nitpicking on another artist).

The only other unmentioned one I find strange is Abel. I mean, he looks amazing, but really, his armor and hair shine too much. It's like he's a source of light himself.

Edited by r4v1sh

Chrom looks way too slim and pretty-- any other observations I have were already made by others.

EDIT: Actually, no. Something that really bothers me-- Tiki has the same feace, both the SD and Awakening versions.

Edited by The DanMan

Try doing Catria's neutral pose in front of a mirror.  I can't contort my body that way, dunno about the rest of you.  She has a severe case of "LOOK AT MY ASS.  LOOK AT IT." which I find very distracting, even more so that she's one of my better units and thus I have to see her more.

On the complete opposite side of torso twisting is Eirika, who seems to be unable to bend her torso at all.  My bigger qualm with her is her legs in her neutral pose.  Her whole pose is very straight, unnatural, and rather bland looking.  Maybe it's just a personal thing but I always see females in contrapposto stances and Eirika's pose reminds me more of a man.

17 minutes ago, Skrawl said:

On the complete opposite side of torso twisting is Eirika, who seems to be unable to bend her torso at all.  My bigger qualm with her is her legs in her neutral pose.  Her whole pose is very straight, unnatural, and rather bland looking.  Maybe it's just a personal thing but I always see females in contrapposto stances and Eirika's pose reminds me more of a man.

I dunno, I kinda like Eirika's default pose.  I can stand in front of the mirror and look like that pretty easily.  It's nice to have a normal standing pose every once in a while.

On top of all the units already mentioned in this thread (Eliwood, Ogma, Wendy, etc.), I find Roy's artwork to be ever so slightly "off." I think his head is too large/round for his body, but I'm not entirely sure what it is.

Edited by Fly_or_Die

I think part of the problem is how incredibly different character art is from one another. Like you get a character that looks great (Barst comes to mind); their artwork is really well colored and shaded, proportions look good, features are well defined, and there's nothing off about it. Then you get a character who comes up short in comparison in some category or another and you notice everything about it, haha. I keep having all these nitpicks that I probably wouldn't even notice otherwise.

Of course, though, yeah. There are some glaring issues with some art that you don't need a comparison to notice, like Eliwood's huge eyes, Gwendolyn's off-putting proportions, Florina's icky low face, Female Robin looking like she has the body of a 12-year-old, and Cordelia's squished head. I also lol'd pretty hard at Chrom's "dislocated" shoulder, I hadn't noticed that before. Some other art that bugs me that I hadn't noticed until now is Veronica's. She looks like way too tiny in her attack art, like she's 10... but in her injured picture, her legs look substantially longer.

I could also do without the gratuitous fanservice-y butt and boob-highlighting shots. They tried way too hard with Catria to the point where her body is twisted unrealistically, Camilla and Kagero I feel were exaggerated more than usual, and then you get stuff like Peri's and Lucina's injured pictures. Then again, I am kind of a hypocrite as I enjoy Odin's injured art, lol. I do think Mr. Masked Man's was overdone, though...

Edited by Delfino

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

I dunno, I kinda like Eirika's default pose.  I can stand in front of the mirror and look like that pretty easily.  It's nice to have a normal standing pose every once in a while.

I don't take issue with it being a normal standing pose.  Sharena's is beautiful and perfect.  I take issue with how geometrically straight it is.  If you zoom out of Eirika's her legs look more like they're dangling in space than actually supporting weight.  Compare this to Eirika's art from Sacred Stones where her posture is much more believable.  It might not be that big of a difference but I find it quite jarring, as if the artist spent less time on the image the further down they went just because you don't see the full image all that often in-game.

9 hours ago, twistedxgrace said:

I finally noticed it upon seeing it on Tumblr lol. Also, in his neutral portrait, one eye is a bit bigger than the other, and when attacking, his earring (which shouldn't even be there because in canon he only wears one earring) looks a bit off. But I am a bit biased, so regardless of these errors, I actually do love Laslow's art in Heroes because I love Laslow.

The most bothersome art to me probably is Catria. She's got this extreme boob and butt pose really trying to show off her ass and zettai ryouiki for some reason, and, is she supposed to be so blue? The way she is colored, those blues are just too strong and it is unsettling to my eyes. I know Catria is quite popular, but I'm sorry - she just doesn't look right in this game.

Female Robin's art isn't too bad on its own, but compared to the far superior male Robin, she is also just too hard to look at. I legitimately feel bad for her!

lol I noticed too, but it doesnt bug me too much. I get too distracted by his epic cape. The cape screams (his outfit as a whole, but mostly the cape), "He'll save the town, but he'll steal your girlfriend." Vaguely reminds me of Zorro, and I don't know why.

F!Corrin's chin is what gets me. But I'll get used to it.

Thoughts on Fae & Raigh's art? I mean, they're starkly contrasting like Arthur, Olivia, or Raven (side note: Raven's poses & rendering is really badass), but I can't help put feel there's something a little... off about their saturated, chibi-ish figures up against most of the cast. Raigh even starts out alongside Virion & Matthew, blegh!

On 2/18/2017 at 5:19 PM, Purikaman said:

I actually like quite a bit Gwendolyn's art, her proportions are indeed a fine mess but the art gas quite the charm regardless. I'm tend to be permissive with proportions, scale and perspective outside of academic drawing. Also don't really understand why people makes so much fuse of that outside academic drawing. But that's just me.

Weeeell, if you don't have at least a baseline understand on how the human body is mapped OR your body parts aren't even comprehensible as such, then you could very well end up with something like this:
CIElNlyWIAE8UJ7.jpg

Don't get me wrong, exaggeration has plenty of places & I certainly am not advocating for anatomical conformity across the board. In fact, I prefer a lot of the expressive stuff you get from exaggeration, rote anatomy's not fun! I prolly wouldn't even mind Gwyn that much if she were in an environment where her style was natural. I guess it's just more apparent with gacha games? With more 'orthodox' body archetypes being the norm in said game? :P

7 hours ago, TheTuckingFypo said:

F!Corrin's chin is what gets me. But I'll get used to it.

If I'm not mistaken, same artist drew Cordelia. Their faces almost look identical. Ech.

Edited by Sarki