Think they'll balance the units out?

you get the holy bow pretty late and it would be better suited to put on promoted Alm for ridiculousness

archers themselves were mostly used for chip from range and normally wouldn't get that much experience because of that, so they would also fall behind on level a little even if they did hit

6 minutes ago, KliffIsTheOG said:

Archers were absolutely insane in Gaiden, where'd you hear that?

From a bunch of people on these forums. One memorable phrase was "Gaiden archers sucked, but at least they could suck from a pretty far distance."

8 minutes ago, unique said:

the archers were weak and couldn't really kill anything on their own, but they weren't that bad

they were pretty good for weakening enemies so other units could kill them, or doing a little damage to take out oneĀ 

So basically archers in every FE game except for Radiant Dawn and Fates? I guess we're used to that by now.

8 minutes ago, KliffIsTheOG said:

They could shoot from 1 to 5 range with a bow, and could promote into bow knights and essentially attack everywhere on the map!

Really? Wow, that sounds really useful actually --

8 minutes ago, KliffIsTheOG said:

Hit rates sucked though

.....oh. So then they do sort of suck?

Yikes, so the class known for having high accuracy has terrible accuracy...? Granted, I guess when you have something like 5 range, you need to have some drawbacks to it. But geez... I'd like my archers to reliably hit stuff...or will I have to rely on that special bow and items to buff them in order to be useful?

Gaiden Archers also suffer from the fact that Bows themselves in Gaiden were VERY inaccurate compared to either Swords or Lances (70% hit on the base bow, and it's only later on when you get the Silver Bow (80% hit) and the Holy Bow (100% hit) when your Archers will start reliably hitting things.)

Verdict is in Alm's group, at least promote one of the villagers to Archer and in Celica's group you're out of luck since Atlas is more suited for Mercenary or Cavalier, and unlike Python, Leon won't be able to see as much combat as him since Celica's route is a tad bit shorter right before the two groups converge in the final map.

Edited by N30

3 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

So basically archers in every FE game except for Radiant Dawn and Fates? I guess we're used to that by now.

nah they're a fair bit better than in most other games since they have that 1-5 range when promoted or having a bow equipped

32 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Yikes, so the class known for having high accuracy has terrible accuracy...? Granted, I guess when you have something like 5 range, you need to have some drawbacks to it. But geez... I'd like my archers to reliably hit stuff...or will I have to rely on that special bow and items to buff them in order to be useful?

Literally no class could reliably have good accuracy in Gaiden. Every attack was essentially a coin flip. The only reliable way to hit is with excalibur and the holy bow, which haveĀ a high set accuracy.

Just now, KliffIsTheOG said:

Literally no class could reliably have good accuracy in Gaiden. Every attack was essentially a coin flip. The only reliable way to hit is with excalibur and the holy bow, which haveĀ a high set accuracy.

Mercenaries were pretty reliable. And Alm as well, by extension.

Helps that Swords in this game were actually pretty good, and also for note, all the holy/blessed weapons in Gaiden had 100 base hit.

17 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

From a bunch of people on these forums. One memorable phrase was "Gaiden archers sucked, but at least they could suck from a pretty far distance."

For clarification, that was my sentiment on Tobin in particular; I always made him an archer so that he could suck, but at a distance lol.

Archers were definitely not broken, like most assumed they would be when they saw the ridiculous bow range. Alm and bows is kinda busted lol but theĀ archers themselves were solid chippers.

Which is a shame because I want the new Leon to be rly, rly gud

I think, at the very least, the developers will be altering the accuracy system to be more on the players side than a complete coin flip. Looking at the gameplay footage, a majority of the player controlled characters were able to hit their targets with little to no trouble, despite the accuracy rates being a bit shaky, and some tomes, like Nosfuratu, got an accuracy buff. Given that a big problem with virtually every unit in the game was that their attacks would miss too often, I feel this change works to most characters benefits.

I haven't seen much footage of the game, but judging from the fact that it's just about a 1:1 remake of the game, my answer echoes most of this topic. No. Not that it's a bad thing. Though I do agree that accuracy rates could be improved without hurting the game.