Growth totals for the entire cast

Did it because I was the right mixture of bored and curious. Class growths have been taken into account, though they break even for everything but the Archer and PK lines (-5) and female mages (-9), as well as clerics (-13)

Alm's side

Alm: 298
Lukas: 222
Gray: 195
Tobin: 205
Kliff: 230
Faye: 213
Silque: 239
Clair: 277
Clive: 212
Forsyth: 223
Python: 209
Luthier: 282
Mathilda: 269
Delthea: 245
Tatiana: 201
Zeke: 301
Mycen: 68

Celica's side

Celica: 284
Mae: 233
Boey: 256
Genny: 217
Saber: 230
Valbar: 246
Kamui: 215
Leon: 214
Palla: 256
Catria: 242
Atlas: 190
Jesse: 245
Sonia: 235
Dean: 235
Est: 283
Nomah: 86
Conrad: 283

And ordered from best to worst:

1: Zeke: 301
2: Alm: 298
3: Celica: 284
4: Conrad: 283
5: Est: 283
6: Luthier: 282
7. Clair: 277
8: Mathilda: 269
9: Boey: 256
10: Palla: 256
11: Valbar: 246
12: Delthea: 245
13: Jesse: 245
14: Catria: 242
15: Silque: 239
16: Sonia: 235
17: Dean: 235
18: Mae: 233
19: Saber: 230
20: Kliff: 230
21: Forsyth: 223
22: Lukas: 222
23: Genny: 217
24: Kamui: 215
25: Leon: 214
26: Faye: 213
27: Clive: 212
28: Python: 209
29: Tobin: 205
30: Tatiana: 201
31: Gray: 195
32: Atlus: 190
33: Nomah: 86
34: Mycen: 68

Aka Zeke is top god and Alm vies at his heels, while Celica, Conrad, and Est are a cut below and Nomah and Mycen rest over 100 total below the 3rd worst unit (Atlus).

Edited by The DanMan

7 minutes ago, Tuvy said:

This makes it seem like Atlas is a bad unit, but you'll see....

you'll all see.....

To be fair, both Python and Tobin are near the bottom and they apparently make better archers than Leon. And Mycen's bases are solid enough that he works for end-game.
Growths aren't everything.

2 hours ago, The DanMan said:

To be fair, both Python and Tobin are near the bottom and they apparently make better archers than Leon. And Mycen's bases are solid enough that he works for end-game.
Growths aren't everything.

Yeah, Mycen is a really cool unit for late-game, even if you screwed hard, Mycen can save you.

Thanks for doing this. I'm sad Atlas is so low, but my main girl Clair is #7 so I am satisfied. I will also now rethink the idea of using Luthier long-term since he is also so high up.

Almost just like the original.

Camus Zeke is a beast, Valbar is great but kept down by his class, and Atlus is terrible despite being a trainee.

Main differences is Tobin is better while Kliff is nerfed.

As for Mycen and Nomah, its because their base stats are powerful. Though the DLC will let both max out every stat.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

51 minutes ago, KongDude88 said:

TFW you're wife and younger sister have way more potential than you (poor Clive) :(

Clive wasn't that great in the original.

You'd think he'd be awesome like Hardin, another cavalier from the NES era leading his own rebel group apart from the hero's army, but instead he's one of the poorest units on Alm's route.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

1 hour ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Clive wasn't that great in the original.

You'd think he'd be awesome like Hardin, another cavalier from the NES era leading his own rebel group apart from the hero's army, but instead he's one of the poorest units on Alm's route.

I'm aware that he wasn't great. I just think that it must suck if you're wife and younger sister are better fighters than you are.

9 hours ago, KongDude88 said:

I'm aware that he wasn't great. I just think that it must suck if you're wife and younger sister are better fighters than you are.

Some people have been saying that he definitely has his uses with the nerfing of warp skipping, and is still a fairly solid unit besides.

11 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Tobin is better while Kliff is nerfed.

The only real nerf to Kliff seems to have been -15 to his HP growth-- everything else of his still seems good or at least comparable to other mages in the game.

6 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Some people have been saying that he definitely has his uses with the nerfing of warp skipping, and is still a fairly solid unit besides.

The only real nerf to Kliff seems to have been -15 to his HP growth-- everything else of his still seems good or at least comparable to other mages in the game.

He also gets Excalibur a few levels later

21 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Zeke is the man, as always <3

The sole heir of Gradivus!

Kliff will still be awesome, because Luthier doesn't come until over halfway through the game on Alm's side, so in all honesty, who is going to mage until then?

Faye?

She gains Angel pretty Early, and Arrow at level 12. Plus Freeze after promotion.

8 hours ago, The DanMan said:

The thing is that Kliff is worse proportionately. In the original Gaiden, everyone sucked compared to him, but here, he's rather average.  Tobin and Gray also got around a 70% boost to their stats while Kliff got a measly 10% (on top of nerfing his hp stat). So while kliff is still a solid unit (until Ryuto), he is nothing compared to his Gaiden counterpart

Just now, Tamanoir said:

Faye?

She gains Angel pretty Early, and Arrow at level 12. Plus Freeze after promotion.

Planning on making her a cav. I'm used to the OG Gaiden, so anything she gives will be a bonus. Most others are considering her as a peg knight. Monsters are not as big of a deal on Alm's route.

Just now, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Planning on making her a cav. I'm used to the OG Gaiden, so anything she gives will be a bonus. Most others are considering her as a peg knight. Monsters are not as big of a deal on Alm's route.

Or Cleric for the novelty spells.

Just now, Tamanoir said:

Or Cleric for the novelty spells.

I know many people haven't played Gaiden and think Ike/Sigurd are the best lords, but really, just insert Alm.

Everything else you do is according to taste and playstyles, but it's Alm's route. Alm is all you need.

2 hours ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Zeke is the man, as always <3

The sole heir of Gradivus!

Kliff will still be awesome, because Luthier doesn't come until over halfway through the game on Alm's side, so in all honesty, who is going to mage until then?

Tobin can actually be a pretty decent mage. He gets Excalibur (Really the best spell in the game. 95 hit and +20 crit. And with the support bonuses Tobin gets from Alm and Grey, he has 100% hit and once at A rank, a +32 crit chance) really early at level 6 and he has the Speed to not be weighed down to heavily. He is also one of the few units to get Physic on Alm's route, getting it at level 5 Sage.

Edited by Azz

Just now, Azz said:

Tobin can actually be a pretty decent mage. He gets Excalibur really early at level 6 and he has the Speed to not be weighed down to heavily. He is also one of the few units to get Physic on Alm's route, getting it at level 5 Sage.

I hear you, but I'm Tobin was born to arch, especially with his buffs.

By the time Tobin could physic there are better options, if you even need it.

Keep in mind: These total stats aren't a good indicator of whether a unit will be good or not. Not all stats are created equal in Gaiden(And likely carries over to SoV). Attack is usually a lot more desirable than say, skill or speed, due to how promotion gains work. That said, if a unit is still slow as shit and can't hit anything(Atlas), their attack won't be worth shit.

Grey is a better example of a unit who seems mediocre actually being really good because of his relatively high Attack growth.

Edited by Slumber