Nindori June Issue-Travels in Valentia *Spoilers*

Just now, Thane said:

Leon makes no secret of that in-game. Valbar, however, doesn't seem interested.

Well he did kind of have a wife and kids, that were murdered.

Just now, Thane said:

Leon makes no secret of that in-game. Valbar, however, doesn't seem interested.

I know,

it's the same as Faye to Alm. ): The fact it exists though. I hope it doesn't disappear in the localization.

Just now, Azz said:

Well he did kind of have a wife and kids, that were murdered.

I know. 

1 minute ago, Aera said:

I hope it doesn't disappear in the localization.

Do Americans still censor homosexual stuff from Japan? I thought that disappeared after the 90's?

8 minutes ago, Thane said:

I know. 

Do Americans still censor homosexual stuff from Japan? I thought that disappeared after the 90's?

I don't know, I don't play a lot of video games.

I wouldn't say it's the same now, but there were several instances where character's LGBT status disappeared through localization, such as Kyza from Radiant Dawn.

I do like how they lay out the chart for the characters for Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. Also, I do see Archanea is still shown in the right side like how Awakening have Valm is in the left side of Ylisse.

14 minutes ago, Aera said:

I wouldn't say it's the same now, but there were several instances where character's LGBT status disappeared through localization, such as Kyza from Radiant Dawn.

They still have the S support for Male Corrin can marry Niles and Female Corrin can marry Rhajat in Fates.

Edited by King Marth 64

23 minutes ago, Aera said:

I don't know, I don't play a lot of video games.

Well, with Kyza I heard he wasn't just gay but an extremely offensive stereotype of one. 

5 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well, with Kyza I heard he wasn't just gay but an extremely offensive stereotype of one. 

Like using female pronouns and acting stereotypically girly and vain? 'Cause that's pretty much Leo.

3 hours ago, Thane said:

Like using female pronouns and acting stereotypically girly and vain? 'Cause that's pretty much Leo.

Yeah, they seem to have some of the same speech quirks and Kyza was described as an okama in the artbook. I'm not familiar enough with japan to say how derogatory that is but I don't believe there was anything inherently offensive about him so I don't know why some people like to repeat this. Fire emblem has always featured various characters and relationship and it's not like there always has to be a deeper meaning about it. They pander to people and they are happy about it. That's it.  As for why it got erased honestly I assume that those were different times and localizers just wanted to avoid people using a kind of gag character to make statements and get offended.

Edited by karasu3

There's nothing inherently offensive about being an okama*, but they way they're played up in japanese media generally isn't...how to put this...good? Like the joke is "haha! look at the weird gay person."

Pretty easy to see why it would be changed or at the very least toned down in localization. I'm guessing Leon will be altered in some fashion, but I doubt they'll get rid of it entirely just because that would be completely erasing a gay personality rather than just making it less of a "joke."

*Though I should clarify I'm not sure if the gay community itself considers the term bad

Edited by r_n

3 hours ago, Thane said:

I know. 

At this point we are more likely to take a canonically straight character and make them gay than try and do the opposite. And if someone tried it the Media firestorm that would start would make the Soleil issue look like child's play. Within the last 10-20 years we did a complete 180 on the issue.

I like the older art in the back of the book. Its a good reminder of just how bad the original art was. (Seriously, whoever did the art  has same-face syndrome from hell, and its not even a good face.)

Edited by Tolvir

26 minutes ago, Ennui said:

Nice seeing confirmation that you can indeed recruit Kliff, Faye, and Silque with Celica apparently.

You can't recruit Silque with Celica actually. I think she is just there to show she has a connection to Novis Priory since I;m pretty sure in either her base conversations or her memory scene, she mentions it.

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Oh. Fates did a slightly better job then. They just kept conversation the same for both genders. I guess I was just doubting the localization.

1 hour ago, Azz said:

You can't recruit Silque with Celica actually. I think she is just there to show she has a connection to Novis Priory since I;m pretty sure in either her base conversations or her memory scene, she mentions it.

Oh alright. I didn't think recruiting Silque with Celica would besmart anyway since Silque is Alm's designated healer barring Cleric!Faye (who definitely can be recruited by Celica).

Edited by Ennui