Should I Play Genealogy Next?

SmoochLips

So I just finished playing Binding Blade, which is my last gba title. I want to jump into the NES/SNES era of games and thought Genealogy would be a good snes era game to start with. But is there any other title I should play before that? And what tips should I know before jumping in? Thanks in advance.

Edited by SmoochLips

It depends on if you are determined to eventually play all of them. IF yes, then, do you intend to go worst>best or best>worst. I know for me I like to go best>worst when playing lots of game/series in a row just to get that motivation boost. 

Anyway, if you want to play Genealogy before New Mystery or the NES games, all you really need to know is how units in Genealogy work.

Bad Units: 1 round any enemy they encounter, have enough durability to last for 3 turns within enemy ranges, and while they CAN take damage their bulk makes it easy to get to a point where your other units can join in and rescue them or simply "walk" the enemies to your own base.

Good Units: All of the above plus 2 more movement.

The only other title you can play for NES/SNES without spoilers is FE3, which I wouldn't recommend. For 1-3, you'd really just be better off playing the remakes. I'd recommend these guides for tips on fe4 though;

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/4zurm2/ultimate_fe4_pairing_guide/

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/3vnqgy/newcomers_companion_to_fe4_genealogy_of_the_holy/

Edited by PikmTheHero

38 minutes ago, SmoochLips said:

So I just finished playing Binding Blade, which is my last gba title. I want to jump into the NES/SNES era of games and thought Genealogy would be a good snes era game to start with. But is there any other title I should play before that? And what tips should I know before jumping in? Thanks in advance.

There are no other titles you need to have played first in my opinion. I think it's a good game to start with (if you have played the GBA titles). It's the first game that had a weapon triangle as well.

A few things you may want to know first (I'll try to not trow in spoilers, but if you don't care about those and want to know optimal stuff do let me know).

1. Chapter are a lot longer then average, but there's only 12 of them (prologue, chapter 1 to 10, endgame). a chapter consists of capturing multiple castles as well. So..., don't freak out about how long chapters take, it does not take years to get through the game :P

2. Protect your won castles from enemies. If enemies capture your captured castles you have to take them back and lose money, and you get a game over if they capture your starting castle (I think, you at least want to avoid them capturing stuff). They don't target your stuff a lot at the begining, but keep it in mind for a bit.

3. There's no support conversations, but units can gain love points with one another and mary someone. You can also get kids, but it works a bit differently then in the 3DS titles. Try to have everyone one you want to married by the end of chapter 5.

4. Promoting works a bit different. units level from 1 to 30, and promoting them does not reset their level. You can promote units when they reach lvl 20 (I think, it's been a while) and there's no real downside to doing so. Well, apart from the fact that you can only promote them in the starting castle. There's also a few prepromotes who start with a level below 20, so it's good to know that they are not heavily overleveled!

5. Arena's appear in a lot of chapters, but each unit can only fight 7 opponents. These will always be the same for a character, but other units might meet different opponents (like how a cavelier does not meet the same opponents as an archer). You also take in your own weapons.

6. Dancers refresh everyone around them, not just one selected unit.

7. There's a lot of conversations between units in chapters that you really want to get (since they give someone stat ups or cool weapons). You can check in the menu who everyone can talk to, so make sure to get all the conversations you can.

I think that's the most important stuff. There's a lot more for when you want to be optimal, but if you just want to enjoy the game this should be enough.

Edit: oh, and you need a skill to double people, you can't just double because you're fast.

Edited by Bartozio

2 hours ago, Reality said:

It depends on if you are determined to eventually play all of them. IF yes, then, do you intend to go worst>best or best>worst. I know for me I like to go best>worst when playing lots of game/series in a row just to get that motivation boost. 

Anyway, if you want to play Genealogy before New Mystery or the NES games, all you really need to know is how units in Genealogy work.

Bad Units: 1 round any enemy they encounter, have enough durability to last for 3 turns within enemy ranges, and while they CAN take damage their bulk makes it easy to get to a point where your other units can join in and rescue them or simply "walk" the enemies to your own base.

Good Units: All of the above plus 2 more movement.

2 hours ago, PikmTheHero said:

The only other title you can play for NES/SNES without spoilers is FE3, which I wouldn't recommend. For 1-3, you'd really just be better off playing the remakes. I'd recommend these guides for tips on fe4 though;

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/4zurm2/ultimate_fe4_pairing_guide/

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/3vnqgy/newcomers_companion_to_fe4_genealogy_of_the_holy/

Thanks, and I will definitely use these tips

2 hours ago, Bartozio said:

There are no other titles you need to have played first in my opinion. I think it's a good game to start with (if you have played the GBA titles). It's the first game that had a weapon triangle as well.

A few things you may want to know first (I'll try to not trow in spoilers, but if you don't care about those and want to know optimal stuff do let me know).

1. Chapter are a lot longer then average, but there's only 12 of them (prologue, chapter 1 to 10, endgame). a chapter consists of capturing multiple castles as well. So..., don't freak out about how long chapters take, it does not take years to get through the game :P

2. Protect your won castles from enemies. If enemies capture your captured castles you have to take them back and lose money, and you get a game over if they capture your starting castle (I think, you at least want to avoid them capturing stuff). They don't target your stuff a lot at the begining, but keep it in mind for a bit.

3. There's no support conversations, but units can gain love points with one another and mary someone. You can also get kids, but it works a bit differently then in the 3DS titles. Try to have everyone one you want to married by the end of chapter 5.

4. Promoting works a bit different. units level from 1 to 30, and promoting them does not reset their level. You can promote units when they reach lvl 20 (I think, it's been a while) and there's no real downside to doing so. Well, apart from the fact that you can only promote them in the starting castle. There's also a few prepromotes who start with a level below 20, so it's good to know that they are not heavily overleveled!

5. Arena's appear in a lot of chapters, but each unit can only fight 7 opponents. These will always be the same for a character, but other units might meet different opponents (like how a cavelier does not meet the same opponents as an archer). You also take in your own weapons.

6. Dancers refresh everyone around them, not just one selected unit.

7. There's a lot of conversations between units in chapters that you really want to get (since they give someone stat ups or cool weapons). You can check in the menu who everyone can talk to, so make sure to get all the conversations you can.

I think that's the most important stuff. There's a lot more for when you want to be optimal, but if you just want to enjoy the game this should be enough.

Edit: oh, and you need a skill to double people, you can't just double because you're fast.

Regarding spoilers, I don't really mind them, I mean it's like a 20 year old game. So the most optimal tips would be best, and thanks for all the tips you've given already.

Since you know about marriage, I'll guess I'll explain that mechanic more.

As you probably already know, but you do pair units up and you do get children out of it. But the children are a lot more important, and they can get screwed over if they end up with the wrong parent. There's no support conversations, but certain characters have conversations with each other that can speed up the process. Each parent has 2 children btw. So I'll warn you about them. There's 7 bachelorettes.

High Priority (kids that will easily get screwed over)

• Tailtiu

Medium Priority (can still get screwed over, but you're still likely to have at least one kid that's still good)

• Edain
  • Lachesis
  • Erinys
  • Brigid

Low Priority (their kids will almost never be bad)

• Ayra
  • Sylvia

If you aren't able to pair anyone up, or a spouse dies, you won't get their children. Instead, you'll get substitutes instead. Most substitutes aren't as good as their holy blood counterparts, however, a few of them can still hold their own pretty well, and are sometimes better or on par with the originals depending on their father. It's arguably harder to get the substitutes, unless you ironman and had bad luck on some parts. Speaking of fathers, paying attention to their skills is important, with Pursuit being the most important. However, IMO, the 2 best fathers don't have Pursuit, but they more than make up for that in other ways. The fathers that are pretty much universal are:

• Lex- he has the Elite (paragon) skill, so both of his offspring will be able to level up fast. You can justify him with any girl. They don't have pursuit unless you marry a girl with it, however, they'll be hitting hard, so they may not need it depending on their weapons and mother skill. I don't want to say exactly which ones he's best with, since I want to encourage experimentation. There's a lot more viable pairings than people think. Granted, they may not be the BEST pairings, but there's plenty of pairings that work.
  • Lewyn/Levin- the best magical father. 5 of the ladies have at least 1 magical child, but there's only 3 of them that he works best with. He doesn't have pursuit, but he has a sweet weapon.
  • Other decent fathers include Claude and Chulainn/Holyn. Holyn has more options than the guide will probably give you.

One last note: there's a lot of dialogue/character interaction in this game. However, pay attention to it, especially the villages. As they may hint at something you may need to do to achieve/obtain something.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Dandy Druid

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I just finished chapter 5 and my pairings are as follows, Aideen and Midir, Ayra and Lex, Lachesis and Beowulf, Sylvia and Claude, Erin and Lewyn, Tiltyu and Azel, and Brigid and Holyn. So far I can tell that Seliph is going to be a pain to train. Skasaher and Lakche are already beasts after putting them through the arena. Lester is also good with his brave bow. Arthur and Fee are both ok, but Delmund doesn't seem like he'll be all that good.

46 minutes ago, SmoochLips said:

Ok, so I just finished chapter 5 and my pairings are as follows, Aideen and Midir, Ayra and Lex, Lachesis and Beowulf, Sylvia and Claude, Erin and Lewyn, Tiltyu and Azel, and Brigid and Holyn. So far I can tell that Seliph is going to be a pain to train. Skasaher and Lakche are already beasts after putting them through the arena. Lester is also good with his brave bow. Arthur and Fee are both ok, but Delmund doesn't seem like he'll be all that good.

Seliph really loves that elite ring if you can get it to him, his promotion makes life a lot easier, in fact I basically always have him promoted by ch 7.  Delmud has charisma, so he'll always be useful and he has a horse, so training him makes your life easier (he also has a conversation  with Oifye at the start of ch 7 for some decent stat gains).  Arthur with Azel as his dad will always be a little above average, he just really needs promotion to; so, he can appreciate the elite ring after Seliph and Leif are done with it. The sword twins are always good, with Lex as their dad, don't overuse them.  Fee with a Lewyn dad has all the skills she needs to be strong, but a low strength growth a conversation in ch. 10 can help that, but up to that point she really either needs the brave lance or a magic sword to be really good.