There should be a new class that uses firearms

Valmese Soldier

On 9/24/2017 at 6:49 AM, Koumal8 said:

Camilla and Sonya's designs are much more family friendly than firearms: a kid under 8-9 years of age will look at them and most likely not notice anything "weird" or "arousing" or something else about them (at least that's how it was for me and my friends); past that age they might find it a bit "uncomfortable" but... I mean, I'm not strictly talking about ratings because I admit I know nothing about them, I'm saying that realistically portrayed firearms would make much more of a negative impact on a child than scantily clad ladies or cannons. If 8/9-years old me was to see Camilla in a videogame he wouldn't give a damn, but if he was to see realistically portrayed firearms he would probably get scared and lay down the game. I'm using that age threshold because in my experience past 9-years old is when kids start seeing guns as the coolest s**t ever. I can't remember what Camilla says regarding Scarlet, but I'm saying is that while a kid is likely to not even pick up the implications/fanservice behind Camilla/Sonya/Silque dialogue, they WILL find guns and other firearms quite disturbing. But it's just my two cents.

Rating wise, I see no reason why the addition of firearms would affect the rating of Fire Emblem than it already is. Just because Nintendo's most well known IPs are family friendly doesn't mean all of its series are "children's games." Fire Emblem is one of those Nintendo IPs that clearly had an older audience than their most well-known series in mind. So you're telling me that it's all nice to get shot by arrows, have your body pierced by a spear, burned alive by fire magic, stabbed with daggers or mutilated by an axe (the latter two something more contemporary and common in our present world) but once a small piece of metal pierces through someone's body, all hell breaks loose? That's funny, because most people consider getting shot at more humane than being stabbed or cut up. I'm talking about a game that features executions, incest, a whole village of people slaughtered, seppuku and other suicides, homosexuality, patricide, bloodthirsty murder-happy psychos (looking at you Perry!), fanservice, support conversations that only adults will understand, kidnapping, politics, and people explicitly dying and not coming back (unlike Pokemon), and this is only coming from Fates! I'm sure firearms would be the least of problems for a kid who wants to play Fire Emblem! Many gamers have nostalgia of playing games like Goldeneye 64, Halo, or Contra when they were kids, it's not like the concept of firearms in games would be a new thing for children who would want to play FE. Even if they're "kid's games," then you should also be aware that some classic Disney movies, like Tarzan, Bambi, and Up, also feature guns. If a parent won't let their kid get a FE game, then one of the factors on that list I made will come first way before firearms. Zelda also featured Link using explosives as weapons, sometimes on Ganondorf, in his human form.

Worry not @Vaximillian, firearms can exist in a setting with bows, swords, and magic! Gunpowder existed in LOTR, and in history, swords, spears, bows, and battle axes still existed at the same time as firearms. In fact, it was only until relatively recently actually that swords were reserved only for ceremonial roles, spears can still be said to be used even today in the form of bayonets, and some modern countries like China still use crossbows to this day(I may be getting off topic here)! In a fantasy setting , you can do what you want, and my idea of this hypothetical class was to make it good yet nerf it so it wouldn't be too OP. The most the addition of firearms would do to a FE game is that it may take place in a Renaissance or Oriental (like Hoshido) type setting. I believe that I heard that in legends, a dragon's scales were said to be immune to bullets, so when the final boss Dragon arrives, a musketeer or Rifleman's primary weapon wouldn't be that helpful against the actual final boss, but would instead be useful against the minions that the final boss uses to kill our protagonist and their allies.

Edited by Valmese Soldier

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:59 PM, Hylian Air Force said:

Pokemon has cannons, Zelda has cannons, Mario has a lot of cannons, and IS also has Famicom Wars. Also, Metroid has used missiles since the beginning, and no one has given Nintendo shit for that.

Zelda doesn't have cannons being used as weapons. Also, Metroid has a Sci-Fi setting, so it can get away with it.

32 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Zelda doesn't have cannons being used as weapons.

Are you forgetting the Adult Timeline games? Both Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass have shipboard cannons. Not to mention Snowpeak Manor has cannons that Link uses against enemies, too.

On 9/24/2017 at 11:15 PM, NekoKnight said:

I wouldn't ask for them as a permanent element of the series, just like I wouldn't expect or want Laguz to be in every game. Nothing wrong with a little variety, no?

I guess not, but I don't seen guns being a one time only thing. After thinking about it for a while I've come to realize that it is because of how prolific firearms are in practically every kind of genre of gaming. It may be a form of variety of FE but not for gaming in general so it just doesn't appeal to me at all. I also don't see how it would work alongside archers. Gunner classes can only function just like a better form of the archer class. Less accuracy didn't kill the archers in Echoes (and their accuracy their is horrible), they are bound to do more damage, they can shoot from at least a second range and maybe even from the direct attacks. Just my opinion though.

20 minutes ago, YingofDarkness said:

Gunner classes can only function just like a better form of the archer class.

That's only if one class had access to firearms. Imagine if the thief class could promote into something like a Highwayman, where they carry daggers and guns. It would certainly be interesting to see, especially if you could use it to disarm enemies that you approach from behind or beside.

2 hours ago, YingofDarkness said:

I guess not, but I don't seen guns being a one time only thing. After thinking about it for a while I've come to realize that it is because of how prolific firearms are in practically every kind of genre of gaming. It may be a form of variety of FE but not for gaming in general so it just doesn't appeal to me at all. I also don't see how it would work alongside archers. Gunner classes can only function just like a better form of the archer class. Less accuracy didn't kill the archers in Echoes (and their accuracy their is horrible), they are bound to do more damage, they can shoot from at least a second range and maybe even from the direct attacks. Just my opinion though.

That's an acceptable view point, but I have some other thoughts. It's true that many games feature firearms but I think Fire Emblem could still have a unique spin on them. Modern/futuristic guns are of course completely different than what FE would do and even games that have spells & swords + guns, they usually have more of a steampunk feel to them.  I could see guns in a FE setting to be treated as historical more than fantasy, the natural progression of technology rather than "magic shot out of a rifle".

Concerning their implementation, many have suggested that firearms would not be able to double, simulating long reload times, so archers would have their own niche still.

3 hours ago, YingofDarkness said:

While I'm not too familiar with Echoes, from what I understand, I think bows would still have their niche of having longer range than guns, with guns limited to 1-2 range (with maybe longer range variants, and maybe even a 1 range variant). Added to that, they wouldn't be able to double (easily), they would probably be even less accurate, and they would most likely also be more expensive than other weapons in shops. So I think they could be easily balanced.

Although I could definitely see guns as a one time thing. IS kind of has a precedent of adding something new and different into a game, followed up in the next continuity with no mentions of mechanics from the previous continuity (unless the continuities are linked... well... in which case they wouldn't be separate continuities...). For example: most of Gaiden's unique mechanics, FE4's blacksmith and (for a time) marriage, so many things in FE5 (fatigue, black fog, capture to name a few), FE8 branched promotions (again, for a time), laguz, crossbows in RD, and other examples.

Oh, guns also wouldn't be effective against fliers, for what its worth.

But I can understand why you wouldn't want guns to be added, since that would make FE feel more like other games, and everyone would rather it kept its niche.