Do you use Astrid?

Wolf

Do you use Astrid?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Astrid

• Yes and she is awesome
    • No and she sucks
    • Sometimes

Oscar and Kieran need minimal training and become good.

Agreed. They don't require any babysitting plus they are easier to recruit compared to Astrid.

I only used Astrid because of a Paladin Playthrough...

Edited by Luxord

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So yeah. If you corner a general on a healing block and have Astrid shoot him for about 5 days she'll catch up. The point is she's outclassed, underleveled, and dosen't become awesome after a ton of use. Oscar and Kieran need minimal training and become good.

O noz, Astrid is worse than two of the best units in the game!

But she's still better than 80% of this game's characters.

Only in movement. And speed.

in overall usefulness, rather

Also, while there is nothing wrong with a team of pallies in theory, it's dreadfully boring.

As opposed to adding in classes that can do exactly the same thing, except less (like fighter, halberdier)? If it's boring, it's only because it makes the game far too easy. You have more options, etc.

Yes, yes and more yes.

-With the Knight Ward, her Speed growth is insane.

-She has even more range than the other two main archers (Shinon & Rolf) thanks to her mobility.

-She promotes to Paladin, and paladins rock in this game.

-Paragon means she takes less effort to get up to par with the rest of the party. Just give her a few mooch kills here and there (which, at the time you get her, is roughly 1 level per kill), and dump BEXP on her and before long she'll be awesome.

Pity she turned terrible in Radiant Dawn. In my runs, I use three paladins: Oscar, Kieran and Astrid.

I voted "no she sucks" even if I don't think that she really sucks. >_>

I'm just too lazy to raise her up, and by the time I get her, I usually have Rolf on a high level and it doesn't make sense to me to replace him or anyone else with a level 1 unit then. It's not that I need many bow users in this game.

I find that really hard to believe :mellow:

But it's true. She's not even hard to train since she gets, what, 50+ experience just for hitting something? And then there are those Ravens on her joining chapter that she's likely able to kill for a full level each. The boss is a Sniper, so you may be able to pin him down and get him low enough for her. And then give her axes on promotion. She's amazing. She often turns out to be my best character in this game.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

But it's true. She's not even hard to train since shegets, what, 50+ experience just for hitting something? And then there are those Ravens on her joining chapter that she's likely able to kill for a full level each. The boss is a Sniper, so you may be able to pin him down and get him low enough for her. And then give her axes on promotion. She's amazing. She often turns out to be my best character in this game.

Yeah but I don't think she is that good compared to other units. She is easy to level up but she is not going to be as good as Oscar or Kieren. Or probably it could be my bad luck with her :(

Edited by Luxord

Yeah but I don't think she is that good compared to other units. She is easy to level up but she is not going to be as good as Oscar or Kieren. Or probably it could be my bad luck with her :(

Those guys are 2 of the best units in the game. Saying she's not as good as them is like saying she isn't as good as FE10 Ike. And she can actually be better since she can end up with a big level lead.

Opinion, FE4 is like 70% Paladin-type units and it's quite a fun game despite the fact that it's easy.

To be fair, you drag Arden across an entire FE4 map and tell me you're still sane. Even then, it's more like 50% at most if you consider the number of characters that don't get a horse until after promotion, and then it's never really 70%.

And as for pointing out that the class structure is bland in general. Well yeah. But more than that, there are only 6 Pallies. Even if characterization is a bit low in FE9, you have about 35 other options that will all allow you to complete the title.

And as for being more useful than 80% of the characters, it depends mostly on how you play. Though I'm sure I could name 10 characters that are more useful.

She is awesome! Even though she starts with bows, at promotion she could get axes and she will own everyone XD. And thanks to Paragon her joining level ain't a problem. And there are so many enemies weak to bows (wyverns knights, flying laguz, peg knights) in this game... even on the chapter does crows won't fight back.

Being worse then them is not only being outclassed by great units, but also better paladins. There is NO point in using her unless you want the +1 resistance the female class gives you. The game gives you two better paladins earlier with better growths (god I'm repeating myself) Better weapons better blah blah blah. Why use her when you can use them?

and 80%? Pfft

Ike, Boyd, Oscar, Rolf, Soren, Rhys, Titania, Shinon, Gatrie, Marcia, lethe, Morcedai, Volke, Keiran, Brom, Nephenee, Zihark, Jill, Makalov, Stefan, Tormod, Muarim, Reyson, Janaff, Ulki, Callill, Ranulf, Haar, Geoffrey, Largo, Nasir, Tibarn and Giffca are all better then her. Give or take a few.

Being worse then them is not only being outclassed by great units, but also better paladins. There is NO point in using her unless you want the +1 resistance the female class gives you.
Or unless you want another Paladin. But who'd want another character with good stats, hit and run, weapon of your choosing+bows, and great movement? :rolleyes:

Being worse then them is not only being outclassed by great units, but also better paladins. There is NO point in using her unless you want the +1 resistance the female class gives you. The game gives you two better paladins earlier with better growths (god I'm repeating myself) Better weapons better blah blah blah. Why use her when you can use them?

Did you hear what we said? OTHER CHARACTERS BEING GOOD DOESN'T MAKE HER BAD. Sure their may be better units than her, their are better units than most units, but that doesn't make that unit BAD. Astrid is GOOD. The fact that several other Paladins are BETTER than her doesn't mean she isn't good. Paladins are amazing in this game.

and 80%? Pfft

Ike, Boyd, Oscar, Rolf, Soren, Rhys, Titania, Shinon, Gatrie, Marcia, lethe, Morcedai, Volke, Keiran, Brom, Nephenee, Zihark, Jill, Makalov, Stefan, Tormod, Muarim, Reyson, Janaff, Ulki, Callill, Ranulf, Haar, Geoffrey, Largo, Nasir, Tibarn and Giffca are all better then her. Give or take a few.

Astrid > Rolf, Soren Rhys, Shinon, Gatrie, Lethe, Mordecai, Volke, Brom, Nephenee, Zihark, Stefan, Tormod, Muarim, Janaff, Ulki, Calill, Ranulf, Haar, Geoffrey, Largo, Nasir

I only use her if I feel like leveling her up. She turns out good for me but others do too. I'm not a fan of underleveled characters and she starts way underleveled. If it wasn't for paragon, I probably wouldn't use her. Even with paragon, it takes her 2-3 chapters to get caught up to the rest of the group so it really depends on if I feel like leveling her.

Can't really live up to Oscar or Kieran because of STR screwage.

Are her growths really bad? My first Astrid is fucking amazing. She maxed Speed and Str before promotion AND had like 14 def. Oscar has 18 def at lvl 1 pally, and Kieran has 16 as LVl 1 pally. She's so good I kinda feel like using her would make the rest of the game too easy( and it's already pretty easy.) Am I just really lucky?

Are her growths really bad? My first Astrid is fucking amazing. She maxed Speed and Str before promotion AND had like 14 def. Oscar has 18 def at lvl 1 pally, and Kieran has 16 as LVl 1 pally. She's so good I kinda feel like using her would make the rest of the game too easy( and it's already pretty easy.) Am I just really lucky?

No, her growths aren't bad. Her growths are pretty awesome, in fact.