Family relations/terminology is weird

indigoasis

Sigurd married Deirdre, and they had Seliph together. Then Sigurd got cucked by Arvis, and Arvis married Deirdre, which makes Arvis Seliph's stepfather. But Arvis is also Seliph's half-uncle, which makes all of Arvis' kids Seliph's cousins (I think half-cousins would make more sense, but whatever). But Julius and Julia, who are also Deirdre's kids, would then make them Seliph's half-siblings since they share the same mother. So are Julius and Julia Seliph's (half?) cousins or his half-siblings? Or would it be both? It's confusing.

But wait, would that mean Leif and Altena would be the niece and nephew of Arvis by law since they're Seliph's cousins and Seliph's mother is Deirdre and that makes Leif and Altena Deirdre's niece and nephew, but since Deirdre is married to Arvis, that would make Leif and Altena Arvis' niece and nephew by law?

Also, would Azel be Seliph's quarter-uncle?

Oh yeah, Seliph and Saias are (half?) cousins too.

I guess I shouldn't have to say this, but feel free to joke around about how complicated this family is, because holy shit.

I would say both half-cousins and half-siblings for Seliph with J&J. Although in practical terms on a daily basis I'd say half-siblings, being it is the closer and more relevant relationship.

Deidre is only by marriage the aunt of Leif and Altena, not by blood. Her forced brawashed-marriage to Arvis should therefore no longer make her their aunt, right? Therefore, Arvis is not their uncle.

Azel shares no genetic parent with Deidre, only Arvis does. If he was to be an uncle to Seliph at all, I'd call him a second or 1&1/2 uncle.

Saias and Seliph are genetic cousins, but through grandma Cigyun and not Deirdre. What would this make them? I guess 1&1/2 or second cousins.

Blame the complexities on the fantastical strangeness of this situation. Reality only invents genealogical/familial terminology relevant to a society on a normal basis or which should be normative. This is an enormous oddity you really wouldn't find anywhere.

It'd be even more fun to play this out in different languages, since different cultures have different terms with different meanings when it comes to family relations. For a simple instance, in Japanese, or so I hear, there is no good term for "brother" or "sister" by itself, there must always be some denotation of relative age- "younger" or "older". One, I think African society, has one address all their relatives by a different, individualized term. Anthropology can tell you a whole lot more of what I mean.

And speaking of FE4, if you play your 1st and 2nd Gen pairings right, you can have the political landscape of Jugdral become a real mess of family relations at the end. It has made me want to imagine a fanfict of Jugdral some time later, when the 3rd Generation is fully grown adults, some with fully grown 4th Generation kids, and a clinger on or two of the 2nd Generation (say Coirpre), and things go nitty-gritty bloody dark owing to how intermeshed the ruling bloodlines have become. Sadly, I'm not good at writing such a thing, maybe it'd have a life as a Role Play.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

First thing I thought of.

Actually one of my students did show this on a presentation some weeks ago and how much we laughed together, she made the family member unit so much better!

25 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Actually one of my students did show this on a presentation some weeks ago and how much we laughed together, she made the family member unit so much better!

There's a class on family units? And you're a teacher? News to me.

4 hours ago, indigospace said:

Sigurd married Deirdre, and they had Seliph together. Then Sigurd got cucked by Arvis, and Arvis married Deirdre, which makes Arvis Seliph's stepfather. But Arvis is also Seliph's half-uncle, which makes all of Arvis' kids Seliph's cousins (I think half-cousins would make more sense, but whatever). But Julius and Julia, who are also Deirdre's kids, would then make them Seliph's half-siblings since they share the same mother. So are Julius and Julia Seliph's (half?) cousins or his half-siblings? Or would it be both? It's confusing.

They're both, but half siblings is closer than half cousins. In game, Seliph refers to Julius and Julia as brother and sister rather than cousin

But wait, would that mean Leif and Altena would be the niece and nephew of Arvis by law since they're Seliph's cousins and Seliph's mother is Deirdre and that makes Leif and Altena Deirdre's niece and nephew, but since Deirdre is married to Arvis, that would make Leif and Altena Arvis' niece and nephew by law?

No. They're not related to Arvis. Deirdre would be their aunt, but only by marriage. If your aunt by marriage gets divorced and remarry, her husband isn't your uncle.

Also, would Azel be Seliph's quarter-uncle?

No. Azelle is Arvis' half brother through the other side. I have a friend in a similar situation IRL and no one would consider her half sister's half brother related to her (or her children if she had any)

Oh yeah, Seliph and Saias are (half?) cousins too.

Yes. They both share a grandmother (Cigyun)

Edited by Nobody

23 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

There's a class on family units? And you're a teacher? News to me.

Yup! I'm an English teacher :3
And we have to teach family units at this time of the year according to the Ministry, this is for a second grade class actually

1 hour ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Yup! I'm an English teacher :3
And we have to teach family units at this time of the year according to the Ministry, this is for a second grade class actually

Wait really? I thought you were stdying by another post you had made. That's cool.

1 hour ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Wait really? I thought you were stdying by another post you had made. That's cool.

Well... I'm doing both to pursue a higher level :o
Things get complicated but will be worth at the end of the thing

1 minute ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Well... I'm doing both to pursue a higher level :o
Things get complicated but will be worth at the end of the thing

Oh I guess that makes sense, just please get your life planned out before you become your own grandpa, lol.

1 hour ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Oh I guess that makes sense, just please get your life planned out before you become your own grandpa, lol.

Oh gods, I don't wanna be the embodiment of that song XD