Jump to content
Rapier

Buying another phone - suggestions?

Recommended Posts

My current phone is a very old Samsung Duos whose model is limited to Android 4.4 (5.5 through Lollypop, but I didn't upgrade it), has a terrible storage space and freezes with any app.

I want a phone that has a bigger screen size (above 6", please, otherwise typing on it is hell), with a battery life of 4-6 hours minimum, that doesn't freeze with simple apps (Uber, Chrome) as well as more demanding ones (like Fire Emblem Heroes). I'd also mention the price, but I'm brazillian and our currencies may diverge a lot - just consider anything that might seem accessible to you will be expensive to me.

I'm thinking of buying a Samsung Galaxy M10. Saw one which was on an accessible price to me, and its RAM, screen size and storage space seem satisfying enough (3GB, 6.2" and 32 GB).

I'm also considering buying a Samsung Galaxy J8 SM-J810MZVSZTO, which is expensive and I'd really rather not spend too much on a phone.

I saw little difference between a J7 Prime and a M10, although the former offers were either more expensive (with android 8.1) or less expensive (if the android version was 7.1). Is there much difference between these android versions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard Huawei makes some pretty good phones

A Samsung Galaxy is a pretty good option as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S8 a few months ago and I'm quite happy with my purchase. Since it's an earlier model it came with a cheaper price, so that's what I went for. Though I'm certain the later models are just as nice if you'd like better specs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rapier said:

My current phone is a very old Samsung Duos whose model is limited to Android 4.4 (5.5 through Lollypop, but I didn't upgrade it), has a terrible storage space and freezes with any app.

I want a phone that has a bigger screen size (above 6", please, otherwise typing on it is hell), with a battery life of 4-6 hours minimum, that doesn't freeze with simple apps (Uber, Chrome) as well as more demanding ones (like Fire Emblem Heroes). I'd also mention the price, but I'm brazillian and our currencies may diverge a lot - just consider anything that might seem accessible to you will be expensive to me.

I'm thinking of buying a Samsung Galaxy M10. Saw one which was on an accessible price to me, and its RAM, screen size and storage space seem satisfying enough (3GB, 6.2" and 32 GB).

I'm also considering buying a Samsung Galaxy J8 SM-J810MZVSZTO, which is expensive and I'd really rather not spend too much on a phone.

I saw little difference between a J7 Prime and a M10, although the former offers were either more expensive (with android 8.1) or less expensive (if the android version was 7.1). Is there much difference between these android versions?

I got the S10e (no I'm not loaded, just lucked out on a BOGO), it's pretty good, not familiar with the M10, but I would recommend it if it is in your price range, it even emulates NES, SNES, and GBA, probably more. apparently, dolphin is also an option, android master race all the way emulate PoR on android.

Edit: If you care about privacy, I would advise against Huawei, their connections to the CCP are concerning, I'm not trying to be political or anything but there are some articles out there talking about it.

I hope that you know what you have done, I now may have to wait an hour to download a rom of RD to my phone, if I can get this to run well (which is likely on a high end phone like the S10e), I wholeheartedly recommend the galaxy S10e.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

Edit: If you care about privacy, I would advise against Huawei, their connections to the CCP are concerning, I'm not trying to be political or anything but there are some articles out there talking about it.

So does Google, but then again, at least I prefer using Google's apps. I think there's a way to install a custom firmware on a Huawei phone to bypass both, but I'm far from being tech-savy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rapier said:

My current phone is a very old Samsung Duos whose model is limited to Android 4.4 (5.5 through Lollypop, but I didn't upgrade it), has a terrible storage space and freezes with any app.

I want a phone that has a bigger screen size (above 6", please, otherwise typing on it is hell), with a battery life of 4-6 hours minimum, that doesn't freeze with simple apps (Uber, Chrome) as well as more demanding ones (like Fire Emblem Heroes). I'd also mention the price, but I'm brazillian and our currencies may diverge a lot - just consider anything that might seem accessible to you will be expensive to me.

I'm thinking of buying a Samsung Galaxy M10. Saw one which was on an accessible price to me, and its RAM, screen size and storage space seem satisfying enough (3GB, 6.2" and 32 GB).

I'm also considering buying a Samsung Galaxy J8 SM-J810MZVSZTO, which is expensive and I'd really rather not spend too much on a phone.

I saw little difference between a J7 Prime and a M10, although the former offers were either more expensive (with android 8.1) or less expensive (if the android version was 7.1). Is there much difference between these android versions?

All I can say is that you should find some phones with Snapdragon inside, the Adreno GPU is better than Samsung's Exynos Mali GPU at playing game.

Other than that, if you like Samsung, you should find the Galaxy Note or S series, their flagship, the other lower Samsung brands are much worse and not worth the price.

Quote

Edit: If you care about privacy, I would advise against Huawei, their connections to the CCP are concerning, I'm not trying to be political or anything but there are some articles out there talking about it. 

Talking about privacy, Google and Facebook are much higher level than Huawei at spying their customer. They know everything you say even when your phone is in sleeping mode.

Edited by Tetragrammaton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tetragrammaton said:

Talking about privacy, Google and Facebook are much higher level than Huawei at spying their customer. They know everything you say even when your phone is in sleeping mode.

What can you say about Xiaomi phones? Can I use other Google apps instead of the pre-built ones, for example, the MI integrated ones that do what Google apps do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just wanted to update on the whole emulation matter, got radiant dawn running, there are some sound issues, but other than that it is almost as good as playing on wii.

I would like to reiterate, android master race.

 

Edited by thecrimsonflash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A S10 is too expensive to me. A J8 is expensive but it's a sacrifice I can make. I'll decide between a J8 and a Xiaomi phone, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

are you in the us? assuming you don't care about photo quality, i don't think there's much competition for the oneplus 6t or oneplus 7 pro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Few months ago I bought the Pocophone F1 because I wanted a big screen, buying another phone with a smaller screen was like buying the same phone for me. I don't have any complaints, it's a very good one indeed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a Xiaomi Redmi 7 for a reasonable price. I think I'll grab it instead, since I'm only interested in using everyday apps (Youtube, Whatsapp) and seldom play mobile games if I remember them (FEH, Dragalia, F/GO) or emulate classic ones (I still have no idea how anyone manages to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles in a phone, but sure). A 3GB RAM phone with 32 GB Storage space seems fine enough to me, and hey, it's 6"2.

 

Edited by Rapier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 8:29 AM, Rapier said:

What can you say about Xiaomi phones? Can I use other Google apps instead of the pre-built ones, for example, the MI integrated ones that do what Google apps do?

Honesty, if you don't have any important thing to afraid to be spied, go for Chinese phones.

9 hours ago, Rapier said:

I saw a Xiaomi Redmi 7 for a reasonable price. I think I'll grab it instead, since I'm only interested in using everyday apps (Youtube, Whatsapp) and seldom play mobile games if I remember them (FEH, Dragalia, F/GO) or emulate classic ones (I still have no idea how anyone manages to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles in a phone, but sure). A 3GB RAM phone with 32 GB Storage space seems fine enough to me, and hey, it's 6"2.

 

I would suggest you buy a Redmi Note 7 Pro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tetragrammaton said:

Honesty, if you don't have any important thing to afraid to be spied, go for Chinese phones.

It's either being spied by the CCP or Google/Facebook, or both at the same time, so whatever.

What's keeping me from buying a chinese phone is the lack of support compared to already famous, well established brands. If my phone gets any technical issue, it's easier to get technical support from Samsung or Motorola instead of Xiaomi, which only recently opened a store in Brasil.

Sure, if there are any technical issues with my phone, I can simply exchange it on the store where I bought it (as long as it is still within the warranty date), but it's more troublesome than seeking support in a local Samsung store, for example. Especially because I'd buy my phone from another State.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...