Trouble reading enemy ATK

Natsu_T

So I revisited Awakening after actually getting good at Fire Emblem to see it from a different perspective. One thing I am immediately having trouble with is being able to tell how much ATK an enemy will have, as in the actual amount seems inaccurate. For instance, the very first bandit on hard difficulty is a myrmidon with 6 str and 3 mt on the bronze sword, and yet his ATK value reads 10, and he hits me for 10. I'm noticing this extra 1 damage on quite a few units, but it's not on every unit, and my own units never have this when I calculate their values. What am I missing here?

Weapon rank bonuses. Once you reach C rank, you get bonuses that depend on your weapon (assuming you're not suffering WTD, in which case you lose them).

1 hour ago, Natsu_T said:

So I revisited Awakening after actually getting good at Fire Emblem to see it from a different perspective. One thing I am immediately having trouble with is being able to tell how much ATK an enemy will have, as in the actual amount seems inaccurate. For instance, the very first bandit on hard difficulty is a myrmidon with 6 str and 3 mt on the bronze sword, and yet his ATK value reads 10, and he hits me for 10. I'm noticing this extra 1 damage on quite a few units, but it's not on every unit, and my own units never have this when I calculate their values. What am I missing here?

What weapon rank do these enemies have? Awakening gives you a few points of MT when you have a higher weapon rank. A lot of your units will probably have E or D ranks, which do not increase MT. Check Frederick's attack and base weapon might and see if he has a boost with his silver lance and B rank. 

The enemies all seem to have C rank. Sword enemies are routinely getting this 1 extra damage, while axe enemies with C rank are not getting theirs. Is there a chart that shows how much a unit is supposed to gain from each proficiency?

4 minutes ago, Natsu_T said:

The enemies all seem to have C rank. Sword enemies are routinely getting this 1 extra damage, while axe enemies with C rank are not getting theirs. Is there a chart that shows how much a unit is supposed to gain from each proficiency?

Here you go:

https://serenesforest.net/awakening/miscellaneous/calculations/