I made unique custom specials for (almost) every fighter in the game.

Jotari

I loved custom specials in SSB4. I was pretty disappointed to see they'd been removed for Ultimate. Not only is a good way of varying up a moveset, a lot of these characters have been in Smash for years with the same moveset while they've developed other powers and abilities in their own games that aren't represented in Smash. It was a great idea that they shouldn't have ditched, though sadly they did. Which is understandable what with the colossal size of the roster. Still, a man can dream, and dream I have.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CSjxITPNS-r1RHHbQWq3hKyiIvg1p__HuOO3EGVjFuY/edit?usp=sharing

Of course when I say unique a lot of specials are shared between different characters, just like regular specials. It's just that few specials are just a slight variation of their default special move. Additionally I thought three special moves each was a bit ambitious, so it's only a list of one alternate special. Echoes I did not deem obligated to have identical special moves to the fighter they're copying, more for creativity than practicality (which really is this whole project in a nutshell).

The almost part of the title is because I haven't come up with any specials for the Terry Bogard, Wii Fit Trainer, Street Fighter and Animal Crossing character, because I don't have much knowledge about those series. If anyone has any ideas for these characters, or just opinions on the specials I've chosen for the other characters, then I'm all ears.

Edited by Jotari

Neat, another Spreadsheet user! I've been using that site to make my prospective Smash 6 roster.

Going for a single alternate special per slot is an interesting concept, though I'm not crazy about moves that switch their element like Magic Rod and Fire Ice Blaster. I like the idea of Fox using Krystal's Staff in his alternate Specials, but it also makes me sad that she isn't in the roster herself. I applaud the choice of giving Echoes different alternate specials, though that does raise the question of whether they still count as Echoes.

I notice that Banjo & Kazooie don't have customs yet either. I'll be happy to help there: Fire Egg Firing, Breegull Bomber, Feather Flight, and Ice Rear Egg. Breegull Bomber and Feather Flight consume Red Feathers, which regenerate over time unlike Gold Feathers.

Considering that series representation in Smash isn't equal to begin with, I feel that you could allow characters like Mario and Link to have more custom specials if they have material to work with. On the other hand, sometimes you might find you can create new Specials by splitting old ones up. Take Duck Hunt for example; instead of Wild Gunman producing a random Gunman, maybe there are three different Gunmen to choose from, each with different properties (like faster shot vs. stronger shot). Or what you did with Zoom from Hero's Command List; you could easily give Hero three options per slot using spells like Crack, Kaclang, and Metal Slash. Helichopter would also work as a U special.

Edited by Lord_Brand

10 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Neat, another Spreadsheet user! I've been using that site to make my prospective Smash 6 roster.

Going for a single alternate special per slot is an interesting concept, though I'm not crazy about moves that switch their element like Magic Rod and Fire Ice Blaster. I like the idea of Fox using Krystal's Staff in his alternate Specials, but it also makes me sad that she isn't in the roster herself. I applaud the choice of giving Echoes different alternate specials, though that does raise the question of whether they still count as Echoes.

Even if Krystal got into the game I can envision her sharing those particular specials with Fox. I did allow Non Echo characters to have similar alternate specials, such as Chrom and Lucina sharing several specials even though they're both Echoes of two different fighters.

• 11 months later...

So I doubt anyone cares, but I have continued to update this with new DLC characters. Didn't have anything substantial for Terry Bogard, I've seen the third Fatal Fury anime movie and that's the entirety of my exposure to his series (yeah, the third movie, and the third movie only...I'm not sure why). But after him we had Byleth whom I mainly focused on adding some magic and brawlkiing to their moveset, Steve I'm similarly unfamiliar with, but Sephiroth I am quite familiar with and there are several of his classic abilities that weren't represented that I'd like to see. With Pyrah and Mythra, both got their own alternate specials, though they share an up special of using Rex's grappling hook. The most fun idea there I think is changing their transformation special from Swap to Phyra/Mythra to Swap to Penuma, which gives some representation to the third form of them by giving them a power boost on transforming at the cost of not being able to transform as readily.