about New Genesis: Phantasy Star Online 2

weird that nobody here mentioned anything about it, considering the hype train roaming aroundΒ after the Xbox showcase for its next-gen titles.

in case someone missed it:

Spoiler

Β 

Β 

Β 

i have to say, i've never been much interested in PSO2 before due to different reasons(and also because it's never been available in europe to my knowledge), but this looks really interesting.

it gives me the impression of being similar to a Xenoblade Chronicles kind of game, but online and with action-based gameplay.Β the fact that it's going to be entirely free to play is a huge factor as well, considering the overall quality in terms of graphics/gameplay shown in the video.

it's probably going to be an exclusive for Xbox and pc, although other platforms such as Playstation and Switch were mentioned in the JP website as well.

the question is if it will be released globally, or if it will be yet again region locked to JP/NA only, wich would be a real shame if SEGA plans to release it on multiple consoles.

if it's going to be eventually released in europe too,Β either on PS4Β or Switch, i'll probably give it a try. guess we'll see.

Pretty psyched myself! But I'm a day one aficionado, clearly looking around that trailer didn't generate all that much excitement from non-PSO2 fans, feels like 3H all over again(^_^') It was one of the very few which had gameplay too, which is the #1 complaint you see about the showcase. Still wasn't enough I guess.

Just in case you're unaware by the way, PS4 or Switch versions exist because New Genesis is tied to PSO2, which itself was released on these consoles in Japan(note that the Switch version is streaming only). Since the US version seems to partially be a Microsoft thing, it seems fairly unlikely that we'll get those overseas, unfortunately:(

As for an EU version, it's tough to say at this point, but I'm not very optimistic, truth be told. Sega doesn't have the best track record here.
Worth noting is that in PSO2, most of the action happens on the client's side, which means that even playing the japanese version from the EU, you will very rarely experience lag, other players aside. Pvp is kind of a no-go as a result(it is pretty infuriating as a matter of fact, you need to be 2 seconds ahead to stand a chance against local players), but the regular game is perfectly playable. Assuming New Genesis functions the same, not getting an EU version isn't necessarily a deal breaker.

Β 

Edited by Cysx

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say, I've kinda stayed out of playing MMO's and the like for a while now... but I ended up giving this game a try. Been alright so far.

So... no one else has picked this up or has been paying already?

20 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd say, I've kinda stayed out of playing MMO's and the like for a while now... but I ended up giving this game a try. Been alright so far.

So... no one else has picked this up or has been paying already?

being from Europe, i'm kinda stuck at the moment. but i don't think the community here cares that much anyway, otherwise this discussion would've been going for some pages already.

anyway, i've been watching videos about PSO2 regarding classes, skills and gameplay mechanics in general on youtube for a while now. although the game may look old as much as a playstation 3 game, the gameplay is actually quite impressive for its time, so itΒ seems to me that it has aged very well. if New Genesis will be released globally on multiple platformsΒ in 2021, i'm probably going to give it a try.

PSO2 isΒ also the only mmo rpg/actionΒ to my knowledge that allows players to make not only over-customized characters with accessories and stuff, but also fully detailed Mechs, wich is sick considering all the action-based combat involving rifles, guns, grenade launchers, etc. gives me a huge Armored Core vibe, wich is nice considering that AC has pretty much died after the PS3 era.

like seriously, these examples of custom Casts are hype as hell. they're pretty much like a nod to Zone of the Enders, and i'd be more than happy to craft one myself and play with it:

Spoiler

a35d42756053a94084a6e0ffa08ae563.jpgEY8885SVAAEeOsN.jpg:smallEQr27XRUEAAIIG5.jpg

Β 

2 minutes ago, 𝙡ᴇɴʀᴇΙͺΚ€ said:

being from Europe, i'm kinda stuck at the moment. but i don't think the community here cares that much anyway, otherwise this discussion would've been going for some pages already.

Huh, so you'reΒ not in the few European countries that got the release?

36 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Huh, so you'reΒ not in the few European countries that got the release?

to be honest, i haven't checked thatΒ becauseΒ i'm currently playing with other games and i'd prefer to keep my current routine as it is.

besides,Β playing on NA servers from EU means lag spikes every once in a while, so i'd rather avoid investing my time in PSO2 for now, and keep waiting for further infos on New Genesis.

Edited by 𝙡ᴇɴʀᴇΙͺΚ€

2 minutes ago, 𝙡ᴇɴʀᴇΙͺΚ€ said:

to be honest, i haven't checked thatΒ becauseΒ i'm currently playing with other games and i'd prefer to keep my current routine as it is.

besides,Β playing on NA servers from EU means lag spikes every once in a while, so i'd rather avoid investing my time in PSO2 for now, and keep waiting for further infos on New Genesis.

I see.

Well, if you are ever curious, here's the full list.

Phantasy Star Online 2Β is available on the Xbox One and PC outside Japan. It is available on the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and PC in Japan.

tenor.gif

Β 

well, too bad my pc sucks. playing that on PS4 with maxed out graphics would probably have been a blast...

thx for the info anyway.

Edited by 𝙡ᴇɴʀᴇΙͺΚ€