Jump to content
haarhaarhaar

Fodlan and Race

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

It really just goes to show regardless of the Empire's grievances against Faerghus or Leicester, even the Empire dislikes the invaders from outside even more. Possibly since all the trouble first began with the First Mach War when Dagda invaded. 

Is there an actual reason given as to why Fodlan is closed off?

Like, surely there must have been some historical interaction with other nations (otherwise we wouldn’t have battalions like Morfis Magic Corps), but there isn’t even a hint of foreign relations between Fodlan and any of the external nations, except perhaps Brigid (and that too born from force).

If there isn’t a canon explanation, then my guess would have to be to do with how the Church of Seiros works. Wasn’t really planning to pile on Rhea, but I can’t think of another reason this is the case

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, haarhaarhaar said:

Is there an actual reason given as to why Fodlan is closed off?

Like, surely there must have been some historical interaction with other nations (otherwise we wouldn’t have battalions like Morfis Magic Corps), but there isn’t even a hint of foreign relations between Fodlan and any of the external nations, except perhaps Brigid (and that too born from force).

If there isn’t a canon explanation, then my guess would have to be to do with how the Church of Seiros works. Wasn’t really planning to pile on Rhea, but I can’t think of another reason this is the case

Oh, there is a canon explanation. According to Lorenz, the Seiros tenants states that they shouldn't make peace with outsiders. The Church's doctrine and religion itself keeps the people of Fodlan closeminded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Oh, there is a canon explanation. According to Lorenz, the Seiros tenants states that they shouldn't make peace with outsiders. The Church's doctrine and religion itself keeps the people of Fodlan closeminded. 

That is the implications of Edelgard's comments about it in her paralogue anyway. If true if does alot jusify Edelgard's actions. In contrast Edelgard seems really tolerant of outside cultures. Even dead set on conquering Fodlan, her plans for conquest never went further than that. 

Almost as if her goals involves waging war on Fodlan to prevent future conflicts with the outside world

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

That is the implications of Edelgard's comments about it in her paralogue anyway. If true if does alot jusify Edelgard's actions. In contrast Edelgard seems really tolerant of outside cultures. Even dead set on conquering Fodlan, her plans for conquest never went further than that. 

Almost as if her goals involves waging war on Fodlan to prevent future conflicts with the outside world

And it's after the war that Seteth finally realizes that the way the Church works has to change and finally made the changes where his ending has the Church start to respect the other cultures and religions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Oh, there is a canon explanation. According to Lorenz, the Seiros tenants states that they shouldn't make peace with outsiders. The Church's doctrine and religion itself keeps the people of Fodlan closeminded. 

Interesting that Fodlan isn’t more aggressive, then. Religions in our world sometimes express their group identity in us/them terms, and in these cases their interactions with the ‘other’ are normally either evangelical to some extent and ‘welcoming’, or are exclusive (i.e. ignoring/indifference/shunning the other).

There’s fairly little evangelising on behalf of Seiros that we see, and excluding the SS Cardinals and I guess Gilbert, there aren’t even really many martyrs for the cause. You’d think we’d see church encouragement for more expansionist foreign policy. Or even just more information about the details of Seiros religion, or how Rhea managed to instil such doctrines in the people, but can’t keep a handle on the branches of her own church.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the other countries seem to have adequate military forces(or at least had in the past) maybe campaigns like this where shot down pretty early, if they ever where a thing. Maybe Serios(or Sothis before that) never had any interest in the other countries to begin with, we also never hear about anything remotely related to Agarthians living outside of Fodlan.
And last but not least, since the crest system as demoninator for the nobility only exists in Fodlan, why would the ruling class/body/leader or even the general populance of any other nation accept this religion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, haarhaarhaar said:

Interesting that Fodlan isn’t more aggressive, then. Religions in our world sometimes express their group identity in us/them terms, and in these cases their interactions with the ‘other’ are normally either evangelical to some extent and ‘welcoming’, or are exclusive (i.e. ignoring/indifference/shunning the other).

There’s fairly little evangelising on behalf of Seiros that we see, and excluding the SS Cardinals and I guess Gilbert, there aren’t even really many martyrs for the cause. You’d think we’d see church encouragement for more expansionist foreign policy. Or even just more information about the details of Seiros religion, or how Rhea managed to instil such doctrines in the people, but can’t keep a handle on the branches of her own church.

It isn't like they didn't try to invade the outer world. They did try to make an invasion of Dagda, and got subsequently ass kicked back to Fodlan. It's likely that they developed a fear of the outside world, and decided to remain in Fodlan, where the Goddess once lived in. 

And I doubt that the Church would promote that, given that it's Rhea that controls the Church. And Rhea also likes to focus only on Fodlan, and just keep it closed off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Danaos said:

Since the other countries seem to have adequate military forces(or at least had in the past) maybe campaigns like this where shot down pretty early, if they ever where a thing. Maybe Serios(or Sothis before that) never had any interest in the other countries to begin with, we also never hear about anything remotely related to Agarthians living outside of Fodlan.
And last but not least, since the crest system as demoninator for the nobility only exists in Fodlan, why would the ruling class/body/leader or even the general populance of any other nation accept this religion?

I mean empires foisted their one-sided value systems on their colonies, so I wouldn’t have been surprised if other countries were forced to value the Crest system (especially if they saw it in battle).

17 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

It isn't like they didn't try to invade the outer world. They did try to make an invasion of Dagda, and got subsequently ass kicked back to Fodlan. It's likely that they developed a fear of the outside world, and decided to remain in Fodlan, where the Goddess once lived in. 

And I doubt that the Church would promote that, given that it's Rhea that controls the Church. And Rhea also likes to focus only on Fodlan, and just keep it closed off.

Good point about Dagda, it’s just the concept of evangelising I’m surprised doesn’t exist. And from the way Petra talks in Part I, she seems to expect further Adrestia-Dagda hostilities, i.e. that neither nation is cowed. 

Yeah, I guess Fodlan being Sothis’ home is probably the reason Rhea doesn’t look further afield - although it’s interesting she sees distinctions between the mankind of Fodlan and elsewhere. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...