Playing FE4/5 on 3ds

Mcgelie

Hey everyone, been a lurker for awhile. First post. I checked the forum rules before making this post, and am not asking for ROMs, so I hope it's okay to ask.

Is it possible to hack my 2ds or new 2dsxl to play these games? I have the patched files already. I'm just not very experienced with hacking. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it 🙂

You'll need to install a Custom Firmware (CFW) on your 3DS. I'm not that experienced with it myself, but I think Luma3DS is what most people use. You'll then need to install the emulator through an app called FBI which should be easy enough at that point. Not sure how well SNES emulators work, haven't tried any myself I think. What I do know is that GBA games tended to not run perfectly through emulators on my New 3DS.

I've recently come across a tool called Open AGB firm which runs GBA games directly through the 3DS's built-in hardware though, and it's great, works perfectly. Don't think there's anything like that for SNES though.

I'm sure you can find a lot of tutorials out there on how to set the CFW up. Be careful though, as I'm not sure if the hacks are already compatible with the latest 3DS firmware version.

Edited by Mattos313

5 hours ago, Mattos313 said:

You'll need to install a Custom Firmware (CFW) on your 3DS. I'm not that experienced with it myself, but I think Luma3DS is what most people use. You'll then need to install the emulator through an app called FBI which should be easy enough at that point. Not sure how well SNES emulators work, haven't tried any myself I think. What I do know is that GBA games tended to not run perfectly through emulators on my New 3DS.

I've recently come across a tool called Open AGB firm which runs GBA games directly through the 3DS's built-in hardware though, and it's great, works perfectly. Don't think there's anything like that for SNES though.

I'm sure you can find a lot of tutorials out there on how to set the CFW up. Be careful though, as I'm not sure if the hacks are already compatible with the latest 3DS firmware version.

Okay, thank you for the help buddy!

5 hours ago, Mattos313 said:

I think that you can inject some SNES games into a 2/3DS, but both of the Fire Emblem games are too large. I've used the injector to play all three GBA games and it's been great, just like you said.

I'm using my 2DSXL to play FE4 using the SNES9x emulator and it works okay. It skips periodically but it is very manageable.  I started about a week ago and have been playing pretty consistently.  If you want the portability, I would definitely recommend. 🙂

One plus of having to use an emulator instead of the native firmware is that you can put the system to sleep by closing it, similar to normal 3DS games.  When injecting the GBAs, you have to treat it more similarly to an actual GBA and close out - closing the screen just turns off the screen, I think, but the game keeps running. The GBA games were obviously meant to be portable anyway, so it's not a big deal and it saves all the time.

The emulator also means you get save states, but honestly, I just use the regular auto-save that's already built into FE4.

I'm happy to help if you have any other questions! 🙂

28 minutes ago, Boatinater said:

I think that you can inject some SNES games into a 2/3DS, but both of the Fire Emblem games are too large. I've used the injector to play all three GBA games and it's been great, just like you said.

I'm using my 2DSXL to play FE4 using the SNES9x emulator and it works okay. It skips periodically but it is very manageable.  I started about a week ago and have been playing pretty consistently.  If you want the portability, I would definitely recommend. 🙂

One plus of having to use an emulator instead of the native firmware is that you can put the system to sleep by closing it, similar to normal 3DS games.  When injecting the GBAs, you have to treat it more similarly to an actual GBA and close out - closing the screen just turns off the screen, I think, but the game keeps running. The GBA games were obviously meant to be portable anyway, so it's not a big deal and it saves all the time.

The emulator also means you get save states, but honestly, I just use the regular auto-save that's already built into FE4.

I'm happy to help if you have any other questions! 🙂

Good info here, I'll look into snes9x. How bad are the skips? I can deal with a minimal amount of jank on an emulator, but if the audio is garbled the whole time or something, I'd rather not do that. 

1 hour ago, Mcgelie said:

Good info here, I'll look into snes9x. How bad are the skips? I can deal with a minimal amount of jank on an emulator, but if the audio is garbled the whole time or something, I'd rather not do that. 

I don't think they're bad; if they were, I probably would have just done this on a laptop instead. It's definitely not garbled the whole time. I haven't run an SNES emulator on anything else so I can't compare it to other experiences, unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Boatinater said:

I don't think they're bad; if they were, I probably would have just done this on a laptop instead. It's definitely not garbled the whole time. I haven't run an SNES emulator on anything else so I can't compare it to other experiences, unfortunately.

Okay, good to know. I think I will look into cfw and getting the emulator to work. Thank you for all of the insight!