What did you like most about TMS's story?

I've been playing a lot of TMS lately, and I think I'm near the end of the story. Despite my issues with various parts of the game, I appreciate at least that part a fair bit. Especially the way Tsubasa's character development was handled: how it was more of a slow burn, rather than relatively quick like in many other stories like this.

I mean, normally... huge, lasting character development just happens from big events. But in real life, while you can show big changes in the heat of the moment, it takes a lot more than that for the changes to last. You need a lot of big events building on each other. So, I found it refreshingly realistic how until much later in the game, Tsubasa's growth largely scaled back after each arc, only being more permanent in later parts.

What do you guys like most in this game's story?

• 1 month later...

I've already written this in numerous occasions before, so I'll just quote them here:

On 6/19/2021 at 5:29 PM, henrymidfields said:

Minako/Yu/Ren/Itsuki: Admittedly yes he's sorta bland, but I think his blandness actually works here. From a storywriting perspective, I say he's underrated. I'm pleased to see that he one of the few lords that both doesn't become a constant attention whore and does get shown to be working with others, similar to Minako, Yu, and Ren in Persona 3-5, unlike most of the lords here, just like Minako/Yu/Ren. ... I wish more FE games are like this or Persona 3-5 where other characters get more showtime. Although Three Houses seems to go in the right direction.

On 12/18/2019 at 2:04 AM, henrymidfields said:

There's actually one common thing from the plot that I liked in TMS#FE and Persona 3-4. I liked how the former three games gave due focus on the other characters and didn't have the protagonist necessarily hog the proverbial (and literal in the case of TMSFE) spotlight all the time. TMSFE had Itsuki help Tsubasa and others work on and break through their showbiz career. P3 had Minako working together with her dormmates, and particularly under Mitsuru's and Akihiko's guidance in exterminating the shadows. P4 not only had Yu discuss the mystery murders with his schoolmates, but out of this, had Yosuke and Naoto do all of the thinking of the logics behind it. It's clear that the plot only gets to where it needs to because of everyone working together, and we get to know and understand the teammates from their contribution to the main plot, in addition to their character arcs, side quests, and social links.

On 9/6/2019 at 12:34 AM, henrymidfields said:

Then there are the character interactions and story involvement, which I think actually works better than FE did. Especially, Itsuki seem to actually backs off every once in a while and let Tsubasa and Kiria shine unlike what usually seem to happens with a number of FE Lords in the cutscenes. Instead of how Alm (*1), Ike (*2), Corrin (*3) or Roy (*4) ends up hogging the spotlight, it feels (and probably is intended to be) more like Persona 3-4 where SEES and IT members contribute to the main plot in meaningful ways and major amounts, and how the game unambiguously portrays the very fact that Hamuko/Minako and Yu/Souji need their companions, if they themselves are to ultimately save the day. (Ironic, considering how FE is also supposed to be about strategy and teamwork.)

Also see:
My reddit posts: Here and here

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing your input! So basically, what you like most about the story is how each important character gets a good amount of the spotlight, which is unlike in several FE games where the main lords are all too often the centers of the universe. And how the main character in this case is good at helping the spotlight shine well on others, due to his role being mainly supportive rather than plot-driving.

Did I get it right? If so, I can see the merit in that. I think it's kind of a waste to design a cast of central characters, only for most of them to seem too unimportant due to one of them being an accidental diva.

On 8/4/2021 at 7:32 AM, Tessie Spoon said:

Thanks for sharing your input! So basically, what you like most about the story is how each important character gets a good amount of the spotlight, which is unlike in several FE games where the main lords are all too often the centers of the universe. And how the main character in this case is good at helping the spotlight shine well on others, due to his role being mainly supportive rather than plot-driving.

Did I get it right? If so, I can see the merit in that. I think it's kind of a waste to design a cast of central characters, only for most of them to seem too unimportant due to one of them being an accidental diva.

Yes, exactly as you said. Although, Three Houses, and particularly what I see on my current run on CF is a step in the right direction. Compared to past entries, thereis a  considerably larger amount of speaking roles from non-Lord units, with cutscenes showing more interactions between Black Eagles members outside of Edelgard and Hubert. And I wish there is more of that with key relevant characters for future games, particularly remakes which already has the story sorted out.

On 8/13/2021 at 6:50 AM, Jotari said:

The gameplay XD

Same...which is weird, because I'm personally a characters > story > gameplay person, but TMS and Fates: Revelation are the opposite for me. 

Anyways, what I DO appreciate about the story really has to do with the extra missions and side-quests, and how those flesh out the characters. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, I FINALLY beat the game (after over a year of intermittent playing), and the two story moments that stuck out to me were:

Maiko's words of encouragement to all of the Fortuna members before heading out to the Cosmic Egg. (Although the impact was lessened due to the fact that more side-missions and quests unlocked, and you still needed to talk to her at least once before the True Final Boss)

The True Ending/Best Ending. I never felt like Itsuki was the leader that others felt he was. He wasn't the north star, guiding them to a destination, but rather the wind in their sails, keeping them afloat. He wasn't the common bond between all of the members - that role was split between Tiki and Maiko - but he was a salve that smoothed things over. I think his Best Ending really exemplifies this in a weird way. 

• 3 weeks later...

The story isn't the best, but I enjoyed it. To me it's like being a classic Saturday Morning cartoon, where everyone works to better themselves and to improve. It's very cheesy, but once I got past that feeling, I found myself smiling as the story becomes more and more optimistic.