Your 2022 Year in Predictions

Fabulously Olivier

goty: elden ring, it's literally oscar bait for video game nerds.

goty for me: warhammer 40k darktide is the safe bet, given as it's from the vermintide devs and those games ruled

worst/worst/flops: this is a useless question

controversy: stalker 2. i think it's going to alienate fans of the original and its huge mod base while making the perfect game for fans who really loved call of pripyat. i think i will like it.

better than anticipated: i wish for this for everything i play EDIT: wait stranger of paradise has already been this

disappointing: despite releasing in 2021 back 4 blood retains this title for 2022

anticipated: the master of magic reboot. i'm vibrating constantly in hope with only the slimmest of straws to grasp onto. could it be as good?

announce: i know starg is already developing beat hazard 3; please drop a release date for this year king

unannounced: if it's unannounced it sounds pretty entitled to expect it

safest prediction: final fantasy 14 will probably implement data center travel this year, but apparently even that's not fuckin locked in. don't give me 1.0 excuses.

Edited by Integrity

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2022 at 11:12 AM, Zapp Branniglenn said:

The 2023 Delay that shocks everybody: Breath of the Wild 2

For anybody out there saying "well we all saw this coming", I expect to see their betting history on this topic. I'm pretty sure I haven't missed a guess regarding this game not releasing each year since it was announced

It absolutely makes sense to do this before E3 so that nobody is expecting it when it does/does not show up there. They still could have waited until May though. Reminder that we didn't get the actual title and release date for Zelda U until E3 2016 (Edit: Actually I'm wrong. We didn't know Breath of the Wild's release date until January 2017.Wow!). A normal person would see that and confidently sit on this win. But I never put food on the table making baby-safe bets. So it's time to double down with another hyper specific bet:

The Legend of Zelda "Breath of the Wild 2" will release in FALL 2023. Its real subtitle will include the name Zelda. Making it the first game in the series to have 'Zelda' in the title twice. Zelda herself is still not playable outside of a one-time action sequence at most. And there will be active debate for the first month after launch on whether it's a sequel to Breath of the Wild or Age of Calamity (some business involving converged timeline theory, I dunno. I'm not freaking GameXplain.)

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

Well, it's a good thing that all my Breath of the Wild 2 predictions all had the condition, "if it releases this year", so they're all still valid.

I predict (and hope) that Breath of the Wild 2 will have nothing to do with Age of Calamity at all; it will be purely a sequel to Breath of the Wild.

• 5 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

Anyone else have “Yuji Naka sues Square Enix” on their 2022 bingo card?

Really not sure how to feel about that one. Square Enix 'sabotaged' his game by booting him off and releasing it unfinished (they should have just canceled the thing), but I also strongly suspect that he's a Yu Suzuki or Richard Garriott - a man instrumental to gaming history, but utterly incapable of creating a game up to modern standards.

(Despite the quality issues of Vestaria Saga, I'm not lumping in Kaga with Garriot and Suzuki because he has not had the benefit of resources that they've enjoyed and, in my opinion, squandered).

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2022 at 6:42 PM, Fabulously Olivier said:

Tell everyone your predictions for the following for this year:

Future Game of the Year (Industry)

Future Game of the Year (Personal)

Future Worst of the Year (Industry)

Future Worst of the Year (Personal)

Biggest Sales Flops

Biggest Controversy

Better than Anticipated

Most Disappointing

Your Most Anticipated

Game/Franchise You Most Want Announced

Unnannounced Game You Expect

Your Safest Prediction/Low Hanging Fruit (Can be about anything)

My predictions:

Hide contents

Game of the Year (Industry) - Elden Ring

Game of the Year (Personal) - Triangle Strategy

Worst of the Year (Industry) - Dying Light 2

Worst of the Year (Personal) - Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires

Biggest Flops - Babylon's Fall, Saints Row

Biggest Controversy - NFTs

Better than Anticipated - Gotham Knights

Most Disappointing - Marvel's Midnight Suns

My Most Anticipated - Gotham Knights

Games I Most Want Announced:
Fire Emblem 
Warriors game for Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Marvel/DC,;or League of Legends
Persona 6
Golden Sun

Unnannounced Games I Predict:
Fire Emblem
Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster
Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Safest Prediction - FromSoft fans will continue to be the most annoying fandom for years to come.

Looks like I've got a mixed track record so far.

What I got right:

Babylon's Fall flopped harder than even I could have predicted.

Warriors game for Fire Emblem (if most wanted actually counts as a prediction)

Xenoblade Chronicles 3

(FromSoft fans being really annoying for over a month after Elden Ring).

What I got wrong:

Saints Row is getting pretty good pre-release press.

I fully expect Three Hopes to dethrone Triangle Strategy as my personal GOTY.

Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires likely isn't even the worst Warriors game on the year, which is saying a lot. Hello, Touken Ranbu.

Reception of Midnight Suns and Gotham Knights might actually flip, given Gotham Knights' footage and the rumored that Midnight Suns might be revamping the poorly received card mechanics.

Okay, three things:

1. Shinji Hashimoto retired from Square Enix

2. More new Pokémon info tomorrow

3. Sonic Frontiers just uploaded a brief bit of gameplay

Edited by Perkilator